I located Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W30 locally

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's been discussed on here before. Select Advance Auto locations are selling it, so I bought a case of six.
Needless to say the price sucks, but I might take one for the team and do a UOA just to see how the TBN will hold up.
The oil was made September, 2015 which kinda sucks. But the TDS on the Pennzoil website dates back to May, 2015.
What is interesting is Pennzoil stating on the TDS of this oil reducing inlet valve deposits and the viscosity index is 204.

Does the high viscosity index make it any better or worse in some way?

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/f...c_Motor_Oil.pdf

In the face of VW 504/507 and MB 229.52, I wouldn't worry too much about any individual parameter. This is seriously tough stuff.

Normally, when I see a high VI and low-ish flash point, I think "VIIs". But I'm no expert, so maybe someone better informed can comment. If this oil's viscometrics say anything definite to me, it's that this oil has VERY good cold properties for an xW-30.

Oil-club.ru seems to think this is the same oil as Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W-30. If so, here's a link to a better VOA than we ever get here on BITOG: http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/14974-shell-helix-ultra-ect-c2c3-0W-30-svezhee/

Found this at my AAP as well. I believe it's eligible for the rebate. Anyway..would love to see how it holds up. On paper it looks like a good oil. Keep us posted.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Found this at my AAP as well. I believe it's eligible for the rebate. Anyway..would love to see how it holds up. On paper it looks like a good oil. Keep us posted.

The Euro L and LX are a specific type of oils. Nothing on the website or the product pics leads me to believe that the euro offerings are eligible. What makes you think otherwise ?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
In the face of VW 504/507 and MB 229.52, I wouldn't worry too much about any individual parameter. This is seriously tough stuff.

+1
I would be 'worried' if it's solely SN GF5.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I know it's been discussed on here before. Select Advance Auto locations are selling it, so I bought a case of six.
Needless to say the price sucks, but I might take one for the team and do a UOA just to see how the TBN will hold up.
The oil was made September, 2015 which kinda sucks. But the TDS on the Pennzoil website dates back to May, 2015.
What is interesting is Pennzoil stating on the TDS of this oil reducing inlet valve deposits and the viscosity index is 204.

Does the high viscosity index make it any better or worse in some way?

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/f...c_Motor_Oil.pdf

What are you using it in? Is't it a diesel oil? I wouldn't use it in a gasser.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
They had this in my local store tonight.

Johnny, most WMs have had it for a while, it may be new to yours. I posted a VOA of the stuff; for a gasoline engine in North America, it's probably not a top choice. So I fed it to my Subaru and will change it in 3k.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Why not? (I have plans to use it in an 2018 GOLF R).

Last edited:
Is't it a diesel oil? I wouldn't use it in a gasser.

It's primarily a diesel engine oil, but

1. VW 504 is a gasser spec;
2. MB says the 229.xx specs it lists are good for some of their gas engines; and
4. Pennzoil claims this oil meets API SN.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
They had this in my local store tonight.

Different oil. Less rare.

2. MB says the 229.xx specs it lists are good for some of their gas engines; and

Wouldn't 'dual rated PCMO' a more appropriate terminology for this Euro LX 0W30 or any ACEA AxBx/Cx oils ?

Originally Posted By: zeng
Wouldn't 'dual rated PCMO' a more appropriate terminology for this Euro LX 0W30 or any ACEA AxBx/Cx oils ?

Well I'm no authority, but this make sense to me.

For MB, 229.5 is for gassers and MB 229.51 and 229.52 are for diesel, but can be used in gas engines. But ideally 229.5 is better for gassers and it doesn't meet that spec.

No one has said otherwise.

So why would you want to use oil meant for a diesel in a gasser when you can just use an oil meant for a gasser? In terms of wear and other specs, the oil meant for a gasser will be better.

No one has said otherwise.

So why would you want to use oil meant for a diesel in a gasser when you can just use an oil meant for a gasser? In terms of wear and other specs, the oil meant for a gasser will be better.

Exactly. Sometimes we Bitogers overthink oil. 504/507 oils require a lot more fancy ingredients to get to the same place as a typical A3/B4 LL-01/229.5/A40/502 oil because they’re kneecapped by additive limits.

After nearly 2 years and 4 oil changes. with both of these in my Petrol Saab 9-5 turbo I can report that they are very good oils that hve significantly helped in the improvemnt of fuel economy and de-gunking the sludge prone engine. (Using Helix Ultra 5W30 ECT C3 (Euro L) and 0W30 ECT C2/C3 (Euro LX.)

remember that DEXOS2 oils have a min HTHS if 3.5, vs 2.9? for DEXOS1 (thank CAFE regs for that.) with modern low sulphur fuels the lower TBN of DEXOS2 oils are not a concern. And for performance applications the higher film strength of DEXOS2 oils is always welcome.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
504/507 oils require a lot more fancy ingredients to get to the same place as a typical A3/B4 LL-01/229.5/A40/502 oil because they’re kneecapped by additive limits.

And as a result they are a cleaner oil that produces less deposits. I'd call it a win. (Also why I use it in the sludge prone Saab)

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
Why not? (I have plans to use it in an 2018 GOLF R).

Use it, A golf R will require premium fuel (98RON, or whatever the US/Can Ron/Mon rating is) And premium fuels have the lowest sulphur of all available fuels as a general rule. 0W30 PP Euro LX will be a great choice for your Golf R.

Especially in Turbo and high performance applications the higher HTHS of Euro 30W Oils (>3.5 as mentioned above) becomes an advantage. The high +200VI of Euro LX also makes it a very stable oil. Low SAPS oils are also great in turbo applications as they form less deposits during hard (hot) shut-downs in the turbocharger bearing over the life of a vehicle. 0W30 Euro LX is designed for VW petrol engines and is all that VW recommend in Australia for their modern engines, as well as Europe and other developed markets (Japan/Korea/SE Asia/...)

Regards
Jordan

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JFAllen
with modern low sulphur fuels the lower TBN of DEXOS2 oils are not a concern.

In majority of US, gasoline is not yet ultra low sulfur like it is in Europe and some other parts of the world. We are getting there, but we are not there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back