Ford Edge >2016 Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have begun considering what my next vehicle will be and have been looking at the Ford Edge in 2016 or newer configurations. As bad luck would have it my BMW is in the body shop due to unfortunate circumstances. Ironically my rental vehicle is a 2017 Edge Titanium with the 2.0 turbo. I travel for my work and after 1 trip have some impressions, would like to hear back from owners of the 2.0 & 3.5 SEL or Titanium. First thoughts are the 2.0 is anemic and I was about nailed pulling out into traffic on the first day I picked it up. On the highway you need to thrash it up to full boil to get it moving. I just don't like the power curve the 2.0 delivers for a vehicle this size. Interior-wise I cannot comfortably rest my left arm on the driver's armrest while highway driving. The arm rest is too far away, weird. I would consider myself to be of average size. Will try different seat/steering wheel configs later today. At 80+ MPH there seems to be a lot of wind noise. The Titanium has tons of do-dads and creature comforts, some I may never use but well planned. This vehicle has 19" V rated tires and seems well planted, I did experience some wind buffeting but this is a SUV. I do like the size and versatility this crossover could deliver. I realized its not fair to compare this vehicle to my 540i, just looking for civil feedback from some owners.

WE have a 2016 with the 2.0 Ecoboost. It's actually the second generation of the 2.0. It certainly drives differently from our old Explorer. Gas mileage has been right at the EPA numbers. It is a car that benefits from premium gas. Peppier when using Costco 93.
Beyond that the wife wants a Tahoe come Spring time.

My son has an Escape w/the 1st generation 2.0, that motor is perfect for that size vehicle. I have heard 93 helps the 2.0's, will try that on my next fill up.

The Edge is a tad big for me, but I did look briefly at the Escape with the 2.0l Ecoboost and was surprised to find that the FXT with a similar sized turbo 4 was substantially quicker...the raw power numbers are similar and might be a bit higher for the Ford, but the actual performance is better in the Subaru.
A buddy of mine bought an Escape and said he thought it felt really peppy, but he was coming from a drastically underpowered econobox...I told him I would race him for the cost of a good dinner anyday!

Given that the Edge is quite a bit bigger than the Escape, I'd only consider the former with the 2.7l Ecoboost...that thing is supposed to fly!
I am trying to convince my wife to buy an AWD Continental with the 2.7l or 3.0l turbo, but I don't think she's going to bite.

Not sure why you want feedback on the 2.0T, that engine (maybe the whole car) isn't for you based on your impressions.

Maybe you should consider something like an Acura RDX if you want a SUV about that size. It has a great V6, some do-dads, and is likely a bit more refined in terms of wind noise. My parents have one and they love driving it.

Edit: they narrowed it down to Edge and RDX before choosing the Acura.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Egg_Head
At 80+ MPH there seems to be a lot of wind noise.

That will cost you $2,500 and/or a year in jail here in Virginia.

Last edited:
I love the edge. I actually wish I had looked harder for the previous version of the Edge Sport (with the 3.7 V6 from the Mustang) before getting my Frontier. My parents have a 2011 Limited with the 3.5 V6. So far in 50,000 miles no major issues. The AWD system is terrific in snow and the ride is comfortable for long trips. The 3.5 returns pretty great fuel economy on highway runs, around 28mpg. It may be even better in the redesigned models. I know the 2011 was before they updated the chassis and interior space, but I feel like most of the mechanical parts are pretty comparable.

There are some things... Like possible issues with the PTUs burning up. I know for awhile the Edge was best selling in its segment. Personally I would probably get the 3.5 V6 over the 2.0 turbo. The 3.5 is far from "quick" but it pulls just fine. Also doesn't require premium fuel or have the extra components of the turbo models.

I am surprised you mentioned wind noise. On the 2011 there is virtually none. It has some kind of "quiet" glass that is supposed to help with outside noise. Maybe it was just the tires? Overall the biggest complaint with the families 2011 limited model (before they called them titanium) was the Sync 2 system freezing up. That should be solved in the new model though with Sync 3.

I am considering an Edge or another Escape to replace my current 2004 Escape. I will be watching this thread.
It looks like the V6 Edge can be found without too much trouble if you are not in a hurry. I am buying in the spring ,probably a 2017 lightly used.

Originally Posted By: glock19

...I think it's called going with the traffic and don't be the "rabbit"?

My GF has a 2011 Edge with the V6 and it's a really nice car and she loves it. It is a 2WD with the V6, and I've driven it a few times, and like it.

I have no idea what the PTU is, but I think it's only applicable to 4WD versions. Haven't had any issues with the car either.

First thoughts are the 2.0 is anemic

That's surprising for me. A coworker of mine has a 2016 Edge 2.0 and with 5 adults on board, that thing was flying. I was really impressed with its acceleration.

Something wrong with your rental example maybe?

We don't have an Edge but a heavier 2017 Explorer 4WD with the 2.3 EcoBoost. A different 4 cyl engine I know, but it performs even better than our 2005 Explorer with the 4.6 V-8, plus it gets a lot better gas mileage. I know when Ford used the 2.0 EcoBoost in the Explorers it was only offered in the FWD models so it must not have been capable to power the heavier 4WD model of the Explorers but the Edge is lighter.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: pandus13

On some roads here that is only 10 over..probably not even a ticket, because no points for 0-10mph over on 50mph+ speed limit roads.

Of course we have speed traps where it drops to 55 or 60 and they would zap you for a big ticket.

reckless op here can be charged for 30+ mph.. I am doubtful you would get a year in jail for going 81 in a 65mph in Virginia?

Here it's called the speed limit, on most of the Interstates. Traffic generally runs 5-10 mph over that.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: pandus13

On some roads here that is only 10 over..probably not even a ticket, because no points for 0-10mph over on 50mph+ speed limit roads.

Of course we have speed traps where it drops to 55 or 60 and they would zap you for a big ticket.

reckless op here can be charged for 30+ mph.. I am doubtful you would get a year in jail for going 81 in a 65mph in Virginia?

You may not get a year in jail, it's up to the judge. Either way, anything over 80mph is automatically reckless driving in VA, even if it's a 70mph speed limit.

Here's a fun Jalopnik article about it: https://jalopnik.com/what-every-driver-should-know-about-speeding-in-virgini-1669902845

Is the OP looking at AWD?

As someone indicated the PTU seems to burn up due to perhaps not enough fluid capacity in the design

Guy at work had this happen and it appears 'common' He was looking @ 1,600 repair.

Last edited:

One of the reasons I live in Texas........

Texas-85-MPH-Sign.jpg

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

As someone indicated the PTU seems to burn up due to perhaps not enough fluid capacity in the design

Guy at work had this happen and it appears 'common' He was looking @ 1,600 repair.

The PTU issue plagues the model years that don't have a drain plug and were listed by Ford as having "lifetime" fluid. You wouldn't be on this forum if you believed that. Newer model years have a fill and drain plug so throw risk is greatly reduced. Also, you can drill and tap a plug into the older units or use a suction pump to change the 95w-140 PTU fluid every 15-20k miles.

Originally Posted By: Toros
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

The PTU issue plagues the model years that don't have a drain plug and were listed by Ford as having "lifetime" fluid. You wouldn't be on this forum if you believed that. Newer model years have a fill and drain plug so the risk is greatly reduced. Also, you can drill and tap a plug into the older units or use a suction pump to change the 95w-140 PTU fluid every 15-20k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back