Mobil EP 0w20 - 10,082 miles - CX5 w/ 2.5l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Much improved over the previous UOA. I'm pretty sure my suspicion that high fuel in the previous UOA was caused by winter driving is correct. I do think that dropping the OCI down to 8k miles is probably optimal, but, going to 10k miles certainly won't hurt the engine. With that being said, I don't trust the OLM system. Once again, this sample was taken with an OLM reading either 50 or 60% remaining. I did contact Mazda to find out about their algorithm and they actually seem to be intrigued by the lack of depreciation on my OLM so that's something we're now digging into.

OCI history is as follows:

0 - 1,169 - Factory Fill
1,169 - 10,120 - Mag1 0w20
10,120 - 19,949 - Mobil Super Syn 0w20
19,949 - 30,031 - Mobil 1 EP 0w20
30,031 - Present - SynPower 0w20

Last edited:
I’m curious about their math too. I changed my oil at 10k miles in my M6 and at 13k I’m still showing 7k miles remaining. Their max is 7,500 miles and I’m at 3k with just a 500 mile drop?!

My thought with the SkyActiv is to keep the OCI at 5k winter and 10k summer due to fuel dilution.

This does provide a good data point about the harmfulness of fuel dilution. Your previous UOA had a boatload of fuel with 100C viscosity of 5.55 cSt and certainly a lot more than Blackstone says; the current one looks a lot better on this front. But even with the extra dilution wear metals weren't that different, especially considering break-in metals were still washing out.

Maybe fuel dilution isn't something we should obsess over and just maybe the OEMs know what they're doing.

Nah...

What's the driving conditions? 50-60% oil life left after 10,000 miles is ridiculous.

My 2014 Mazda 3 drops to 40-50% after 4K miles. Most city at 70/30 but we usually avoid bumper to bumper rush hour traffic and cruise at 49mph a lot around town.

I wonder what would happen if you actually ran it until the maintenance light came on after... 20,000 miles. I think this oil would be toast and the report wouldn't look so good.
33.gif

Ask Ford... Why they had to go back up to 5w30 in some of their Ecoboost motors. Fuel dilution in the crankcase.

Last edited:
Looks like less fuel dilution is seeing less wear metals though. That second OCI looks so low in viscosity. Low even for a 0W16.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
A new CX-5 and you've already voided your warranty!

Really? How? Can you post the wording from his owner's manual where it states that anything he did here violates the warranty?

That is a dealer link. The Mazda OLM could push the oci over 10k. But I will agree in point that 10k is too long. The OP should try 7500 miles. He appears to be driving a lot so I assume this is highway miles for the most part.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
That is a dealer link. The Mazda OLM could push the oci over 10k. But I will agree in point that 10k is too long. The OP should try 7500 miles. He appears to be driving a lot so I assume this is highway miles for the most part.

I totally agree on the 7.5K anything else would like put your warranty in question. They have an out they stated something about sever service but not exactly in those words. You just don't want to give any dealer an out on a warranty because 99.9% of the time their going to take the out.

I totally agree on the 7.5K anything else would like put your warranty in question. They have an out they stated something about sever service but not exactly in those words. You just don't want to give any dealer an out on a warranty because 99.9% of the time their going to take the out.

Still though there is no language anywhere that ties it to the new vehicle warranty. People say that a lot on here yet there is nothing that shows it to be the case.

I believe the point is that the oil is more than capable of 10-15k change intervals but the engine needs a more conservative interval. With the op driving so much, increasing his intervals makes sense with a good oil but only as far as the engine will allow before fuel dilution becomes a problem.

On the other hand we have uoa’s posted here with high fuel dilution yet the wear numbers are excellent. Are modern oils capable of handling 3-5% fuel dilution without degradation? The answer is somewhere in the labs of big oil but the results are convincing here at BITOG.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Still though there is no language anywhere that ties it to the new vehicle warranty. People say that a lot on here yet there is nothing that shows it to be the case.

I am reciting this from memory but my understanding is 5k for severe service, 7500 for normal service, or use the OLM.

When I purchased my CX-5, I had a discussion with the service manager and because of my short trip routine, 5k was recommended. That particular dealer does not recommend the OLM except in particular circumstances. So for them it’s 5k or 7.5k. Stop and go traffic in my area may be playing a part in this and I would not think that all Mazda dealers think the same. Last Friday we were stop and go for just over 50 miles. I would call that severe.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: kschachn

I am reciting this from memory but my understanding is 5k for severe service, 7500 for normal service, or use the OLM.

This is correct. The only addition is that when using OLM, if you hit 10k miles or 1 year then it's time to change regardless of percentage left. So did I go over 10k miles? Yes. By 82 miles, good luck voiding a warranty over 82 miles. Think of the 3k mile/3mo OCI days, everybody missed one of those parameters at least once.

I noticed the Mazda dealer OCI sticker in the upper left windshield on my son's 2016 CX-5 and it had 5W40 Castrol... What the heck! He is in Wisconsin so I am thinking he needs to take it back and have them put in 0W20. Is that OK in these engines? Sorry but I had to mention this here. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I noticed the Mazda dealer OCI sticker in the upper left windshield on my son's 2016 CX-5 and it had 5W40 Castrol... What the heck! He is in Wisconsin so I am thinking he needs to take it back and have them put in 0W20. Is that OK in these engines? Sorry but I had to mention this here. Thanks.

Yep that is way off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back