check-out line rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I am in a check-out line where there is .......
a senior with slow motor skills, no problem.
a shopper with a basket full of items, no problem (unless they are in the express lane)
a customer that needs to have a price check because the store screwed up, no problem.

however.......
I thought I had seen just about everything in a check-out line, but......
at the local dollar store, this thirty something woman was at the counter, with a pair of scissors, clipping coupons!
YES! There at the register! Had several pages of them from the local paper.
She would place a item from her basket onto the counter, look for the proper coupon, and then clip it out! One ---------- at ---------- a ---------- time ---------- it ---------- was ---------- so ---------- agonizingly ---------- slooooooow!

That was really weird! And the clerk said nothing, like move your arrogant self somewhere else and clip away. The other lane never opened, customers were piling up, some finally left the store, shots were fired, people screaming, black helicopters flying in.......

Now for the icing on the cake......she forgot something! She left the counter, finally returning with ........ more coupons!

These times are so all about ........ me me me, me me me, me me me.

Last edited by a moderator:
My question would be this: Why are people using coupons at a dollar store ? ? ?

BalticBob, go to a real dollar store!

A.K.A. Dollar Tree!

I hope you said some very rude comments to her. I would have, for sure, but I love blowing wind under people's skirts.

"Cut coupons on your time lady, not mine!!"

The other week I saw a price check situation where the customer had taken the picture of the price tag on the shelf, but it was for something else that was similar. The customer then proceeded to argue the price. They were very rude right off the hop telling the cashier that "they'd better fix that" as soon as the cashier rung up the wrong price. It was at Giant Tiger which is pretty much the greasiest discount department store here in Ontario so it could be expected I guess? lol

The ones that annoy me are the ones at the gas station that pull out their lottery folder when I'm just trying to pay for my gas and be on my way. It's not enough that they just bought half the store and the cashier had to take 5 minutes explaining that 2 for $4 doesn't mean 1 for $2. Now they want 876 scratch-offs, 32 Powerballs, and 27 Mega Millions. Then they proceed to scratch their scratch-offs at the counter.

Then there was the guy in front of me a couple weeks ago who felt it was necessary to hold up the line and argue with the manager because he couldn't buy cigarettes with EBT.
mad.gif

Didn't know they had coupons but I would have been out of there. What do you need that bad at a Dollar store?
Here's one:
You are going into Costco or Walmart with a basket and a woman or two walk into the door in front of you and STOP, blocking the entire entrance. They have no clue that people are backing up behind them. Happens all the time! The other day I was in a Costco main aisle and a woman stopped, left her basket in the middle of the isle to go look at something. Another woman asked her if she would move her basket to the side so people could get by. A big argument ensued. People think they are the only ones in the world!

One of my special snowflake tenants sent an email that there was "toxic mold" in her frig and threatened to call the EPA because " you are poisoning my children" I found a little mold on the door gasket and cleaned it off with bleach. Snowflake belligerently asked what to do if the mold comes back? I told her to clean it with bleach. I just finished evicting her for non payment of rent, just before Christmas and with her small kids. Guess snowflakes do not have to honor legal contracts.

Owning Class C and D rentals will destroy your faith in humanity along with any remaining sanity you might have :)

One thing that really irritates me is the Returns at Home Depot. They place the desk like immediately in front of the front door. So it makes people like to check out there. If im just trying to return something I don't want to have to wait in a line of people checking out. I had to use sarcasm with a cashier one time, can I return this at the check out? No? Ok then can I return it?

Last edited:
I walked out of the local dollar store couple weeks ago due to slow check out. I have no patience for that.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I walked out of the local dollar store couple weeks ago due to slow check out. I have no patience for that.

I do that too, but take the items with me...
laugh.gif

Hey, I wanted to pay but they were too busy with other customers.

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
One of my special snowflake tenants sent an email that there was "toxic mold" in her frig and threatened to call the EPA because " you are poisoning my children" I found a little mold on the door gasket and cleaned it off with bleach. Snowflake belligerently asked what to do if the mold comes back? I told her to clean it with bleach. I just finished evicting her for non payment of rent, just before Christmas and with her small kids. Guess snowflakes do not have to honor legal contracts.

Owning Class C and D rentals will destroy your faith in humanity along with any remaining sanity you might have :)

my sincere good thoughts for you and your stress levels;
so does not:
-clean - check
-cut grass -check
-clean snow - check
-communicate damage - check
-communicate damage by baby-daddy #xx - check
-have the rent in full and on time - check

Ever been behind someone in line that can't afford all they've put on the conveyor belt and realizes this after the cashier gives them the total? Then they start removing things from the purchases one by one until they have enough money to pay.

Last edited:
I'm glad I haven't run into someone who wants to pay by check for a long while now. That can be it's own special disaster when they check for id and then the cashier doesn't know how to run it through the register so they need help.

The obvious usual annoyance is that when you're waiting in line, get your money ready. It seems like it's always a surprise to people that they have to pay once the cashier gives them the total so they have to fish through their purse to find their wallet and then get the right amount out or dig out the right card.

Sounds like the Austin area. "Keeping it Weird", self-absorbed, self-centered, clueless, and oblivious to others much less the back-log they create.

Like the woman at HEB who parked her cart right in front of the scale/label printer! She chastized me for reaching over it to weigh my onions!

I like the firemans solution to the premodannas (sp?) who park in front of a hydrant they need access to. They take a fireaxe to two of the windows, pull the hose through and connect.

Further, said owner(s) aren't going anywhere until the FD leaves....which can be HOURS UPON HOURS later!

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
The obvious usual annoyance is that when you're waiting in line, get your money ready. It seems like it's always a surprise to people that they have to pay once the cashier gives them the total so they have to fish through their purse to find their wallet and then get the right amount out or dig out the right card.

This ^^^^. When you are a couple people deep in line, be courteous enough to have your cards and such ready for presentation. I can't believe how many people stand in line for multiple minutes and aren't ready when their time comes. What the heck else do you have to do while waiting in line?

Years ago at a Safeway store, I arrived at the check out with a loaf of bread, milke etc. On the way home from work.
One checkout was open, but the woman at the check out said "sorry I'm closed"
I looked around, no othere checkouts were open. She said someone will be along in a moment"
I wrote on my busness card, "To the manager, I have every intention of paying today, but there was no one to take my money, please contact me to receive payment"
I put my card in the suggestion box and walked out.

I never heard from the store.

In your Dollar, store I might have done the same.

My all time favorite happened at a Walmart checkout. Lady about 40 watched as all her items were checked and put in the plastic bags. After she get the dollar total she dives for her check book in a purse big enough to be used as an overnight bag. Then we fill out the check and hands it to the cashier and then digs for her drivers license. I think FINALLY, but, then she tries to write the check amount in her check book and starts to subtract the just purchased total. I say the cost is on the receipt but, she counters, I must do it now or I'll forget-I'm sorry. I now understand the phase YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID. Ed

I felt bad for the tenants little kids who surely do not understand why they are "moving" at Christmas. My parents were solid, working class people and we never had to wonder where we would be living. The work ethic my parents gave me has paid off ten thousand fold.

I got stuck behind an obnoxious family. Rang up for like $400. Then had to remove about half the items to pay with an EBT card. Then rang up the removed items, and paid with a different EBT card. Then sent the 550 pound wife to the back of the store to get a forgotten item. Then forgot to buy cigarettes, so paid cash for the cigarettes. Then wanted to buy a $15 walmart gift card to pay for gas at the front of the store, because a gift card gets you 3 cents off per gallon at walmart gas stations. Their transaction took over 20 minutes. I went through all the stages of grief and anger, and at the end was just incredulous, and actually watched the spectacle as if watching an exhibit at a zoo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back