Torque Wrech

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Snap On 150 ft/lb capable torque wrench, but my owners manual specifies 162 ft/lb for my lug nuts. Is there a cheap torque multiplier that can do this?

Originally Posted By: 2009Edge
I have a Snap On 150 ft/lb capable torque wrench, but my owners manual specifies 162 ft/lb for my lug nuts. Is there a cheap torque multiplier that can do this?

Are you sure about the 162 ft./lb.? That sounds really, really high for lug nuts. I would guess 80-100 ft./lb. would be plenty. I'd almost be concerned about snapping the wheel studs. A quick glance online shows 100 ft./lb.

On top of that, good luck with changing a tire on the side of the road on a dark and stormy night with wheel lugs torqued to those values.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
From what I understand the process for specs over the capacity of a normal torque wrench is 150 or whatever it is + rotation in degrees.

For my Jetta it was max torque + 15 degrees IIRC

EDIT: That was axle nut torque for my compact car, I thought lugs nuts were around 100 ft lbs on cars and light trucks?

Last edited:
The most important thing with lug nuts is that they're all even; torque reading accuracy in not critical.

But on gaskets that involve inch pounds, put your money into that wrench!

I would torque to 150# and call it good. I would probably re-torque them in a few hundred miles (also at 150#) just to be safe... usually good practice for alloy wheels anyway. It would not be unusual for a cheap torque wrench to be off by +/-10%.

Ah this is a 2017 edge,
162 lb.ft (220 Nm)

wowsers.. the old ones were all 100lb-ft so that is sort of odd.

I'd probably just buy an inexpensive unit that goes up to 250 ft-lbs. Or, if you want to spend more, I just bought a split beam clicker that goes up to 250 ft-lbs on eBay, really excited for it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-On-1-2-Drive-Flex-Head-TQ-Series-Torque-Wrench-40-250-ft-lb-TQFR250C/192377549391?hash=item2cca98724f:g:9DsAAOSwPIhaG8xo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-Instruments-1-2-40-250-ft-lbs-SplitBeam-Torque-Wrench-C3FR250F-w-Case/272970012891?epid=2255325218&hash=item3f8e47d8db:g:eoMAAOSw9hdaJtAG

Originally Posted By: Rand
Ah this is a 2017 edge,
162 lb.ft (220 Nm)

wowsers.. the old ones were all 100lb-ft so that is sort of odd.
u kidding me? No way im gonna torque the wheels to 162. Trucks get 140 and cars/suvs get 100. I impact all my wheels on at work with my Milwaukee 1/2 batt impact then go around the cars witha torque wrench to either 100 or 140 foot lbs.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Are you kidding me? No way I'm gonna torque the wheels to 162. Trucks get 140 and cars/suvs get 100. I impact all my wheels on at work with my Milwaukee 1/2 batt impact then go around the cars witha torque wrench to either 100 or 140 foot lbs.

I concur with this - 162 is dangerous in my opinion, because the threaded portion of the stud will be pre-stressed abnormally high.

The result = hit a bad pothole, all wheel studs POP and the wheel says "Sayonara".... No thanks.

steel wheels?
op, I have a diesel 3/4 ton and mine mucho mucho bigger wheels spec lower torque.
Where did you see this torque spec? owners manual?

He is correct on the torque values. From the 2017 Edge Owners Manual:

OP - I would obtain the correct torque wrench.

Ok, I'm not a scientist......But I did stay at a holiday Inn last night! So I Googled it, your not the only one to question this subject.

Mar 2, 2017 - Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:26 PM. The owner's manual for the 2016 Edge lists 162 lb.ft. as the torque for the wheel lug nuts. That seems kind of high to me. Is that right? I've been around for a while and am use to seeing 100 (plus or minus a little) for most passenger vehicles. Just wondering if this 162 is correct.

Now, Just let me ask this. How large is the lug wrench that your Ford Edge comes with? All new cars come with a lug wrench and a scissor jack? Your car would have to come with a 1/2 breaker bar, and a 225lb man to stand on it. Its prolly a typo, and Ford has been to lazy to correct it. 90ft pounds is about correct for all passenger cars.

What size is the lug nut? 19mm

2015 PSD, That helps, Honda accords, and almost all other import autos have 12mm studs=90ftlb. Domestic 1 ton trucks have 14mm studs=140ftlb. So maybe there is not a typo. OP, you have some more research to do! Looks like it might just be 162ftlbs, but that's crazy! Gonna suck if you ever have to change a flat yourself on the side of the road!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back