Using a fuel pump with fully engaged lever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was getting gas today and as I swiped my card and grabbed the nozzle, I noticed the lever holder was engaged at max flow. I quickly disengaged it, but if I would have selected the grade, would it have started pumping right away? This has never happened to me before.

No. The handles are smart enough to not do it.

You can test it yourself, just put the nozzle in and squeeze it, then select the grade. It will click off (like when it is full). It requires a complete release and then squeeze to dispense fuel.

Nah they're smart enough. Sometimes I click it on max flow and then realize it's asking me more dumb questions like if I want a receipt, I choose no and then it still won't pump until I disengage it and put it back on.

The government took this lock feature away from us up here on non-commercial pumps...
I just shove my gas cap in the space now. Holds it perfectly while I check the oil or go into the store and get something to drink.

People look at me like I have some sort of black magic.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Despite the great posts from theorists on this, I was at a Chevron in WA last summer where the person before me had set the pump to deliver a fixed $ amount, then locked the handle with the clip to fill their tank. Once the pump stopped at the $ amount, they put the handle back in the holder with the clip still set. When I came along, the still-locked handle started gushing gasoline as soon as the pump started running after I pulled the handle out of the holder after completing the credit card ceremony at the pump. Gas went everywhere on the side of my car and the ground.

So, no, the pumps aren't smart enough to prevent this. Take care.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I was thinking you were talking about a mechanical fuel pump with the lever being pushed by the cam shaft.

Well if it's fully engaged, it wouldn't pump!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: jaj
Despite the great posts from theorists on this, I was at a Chevron in WA last summer where the person before me had set the pump to deliver a fixed $ amount, then locked the handle with the clip to fill their tank. Once the pump stopped at the $ amount, they put the handle back in the holder with the clip still set. When I came along, the still-locked handle started gushing gasoline as soon as the pump started running after I pulled the handle out of the holder after completing the credit card ceremony at the pump. Gas went everywhere on the side of my car and the ground.

So, no, the pumps aren't smart enough to prevent this. Take care.

I'll try it next time I fill up except I'll make sure the nozzle is in the tank first. This may differ from station to station though. Yesterday, this was at a fairly new/ recently renovated BP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back