Not open for further replies.
BgtL9Wg.jpg

UNdhoRO.jpg

o9o54UY.jpg

oa0noxi.jpg

Well, the new job dictates a farther commute

And I was warned that "snowed in" wasn't an acceptable excuse

So it was either lease something 4/AWD, or make due with what I have

$640 delivered after some very generous rebates from Continental and TireRack got me this setup

16x7.5 "Sport Edition" M13 wheels in matte gray with 38mm backspacing

Comes with hub centering rings pre installed, and lugnuts to spare

Even on the lowered SE V6 springs, it doesn't scrape or rub at full lock

And the tires are Continentals new WinterContact Si, in a 205/65R-16, 99H

Installed them mid snow that we got here in NYC on Saturday

I gotta say, I'm very impressed

They've got a bit of a tone to them (most V tread designs do), but they ride and steer quite well, and I've never had this level of grip on frozen slush and sleet

We had a solid 4 inches of wet snow, then as the sunset it went below freezing, took it up and down some hilly streets that were unplowed/unsalted, didn't hear a word from the ABS

I was warned that it'd ride like a truck, and that you don't need snow tires in the rear on a FWD car (these people are vintage)

But I'm very happy with the package, just need's alignment on the weekend

Now I can keep up with a Subaru on summer tires...
grin.gif

Nice!

My winter tires are now on their 8th season. More than 50% of tread depth still remaining, but their grip leaves much to be desired. I should really be getting new ones, but I'm hoping to stick it out just one more winter and then ditch the wheels along with the car.
smile.gif

Congrats. (job and snow tires....)

Now question:
in picture #2, does it seems like the tires are a bit "softer" on the bottom/softer sidewalls.?

I kind of see the same with my new nexen winguard sports.....

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
I was warned that it'd ride like a truck, and that you don't need snow tires in the rear on a FWD car (these people are vintage)

That's real vintage. They always recommended 4 snow tires on FWD, they might just be confused with RWD where some people just had them on the rears. Stopping and not spinning out/fishtailing is also important.

Congrats on job. Winter tires are wonderful but around here you still get stuck in 3hr commute to Boston instead of normal 50 mins in winter events.

Love the setup.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

That's real vintage. They always recommended 4 snow tires on FWD, they might just be confused with RWD where some people just had them on the rears. Stopping and not spinning out/fishtailing is also important.

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back