Oversized Version of XG2 (updated Chrysler 4.7)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning on doing an oil change on my truck with the updated Chrysler 4.7 (22mm threads). It looks like my filter is the XG2, but so far my search for a longer version with the same threads and gasket diameter has been fruitless. Most references are to the previous version of the 4.7 which has a different thread. In fact, I think I found a conversation on here from 2011 or 2012 saying XG2 is all we get. Has that changed since then?

There are a few. My recollection is the Luber Finer PH26 and AC Delco PF26, both made by Champion Laboratories, are the same diameter as the Mopar MO-899 but about an inch taller. Refer to the AC Delco PF26 for media efficiency. IIRC the AC Delco has base end BPV and the Luber Finer has dome end BPV. Both have nitrile ADBV.

There are a number of larger Wix / Napa Gold oil filters that will work too but I don't remember the application numbers; search a little here in the oil filters sub-forum as this was discussed a few months ago. However, I do recall the Wix / NG oversize filters showed plain cellulose media with no efficiency rating listed, so probably significantly less than the 95% @ 20 microns performance of the standard Wix / NG media.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
There is a 2 qt filter that will fit.
I'd love to know what it is and if there's a Fram XG equivalent.

The XG2 isn't big enough?
smile.gif

I look at this way, the XG2 is about the biggest stock oil filter out there if Nissan's are going 200,000 plus on dinky little ATV oil filters and my Dodge won't make it on a coffee cup oil filter maybe I should look at Nissan not getting a bigger oil filter.

Last edited:
As someone who ran PH8A equivalent size filters as stock on our motors for years, I was disappointed my 400 cubic inch engine in my 73 Charger called for the reduced size PH43, after that my next 2 vehicles (trucks) used the PH16 equivalent, and now its metric cousin the PH2. I'm OK with running this size on my 345 cubic inch V8 after zero engine problems running PH16 equivalent filters on a 318 and a 360 cubic inch engine over two decades.

My ZTR mower takes the PH3614 equivalent, I've been running oversize Wix CQ Blue 85516 filters instead (TG3600 equivalent).

I don't recall any Fram brand oversize offerings for the PH/TG/XG2 coming up in the discussion a few months ago, just Champion Labs and WIX / NG as I mentioned earlier. You can try a PM or email to board member Motorking aka Jay Buckley who works for Fram, to ask a knowledgable Fram employee directly about Fram offerings.

Or convert your current engine oil filter mount to the earlier generation 4.7l which took PH16 equivalent and run a XG8A instead.

There is nothing bigger as a XG2. If you had the earlier model with the XG16 you could use the XG8A. The XG line only covers the applications with a decent amount of throughput. They are not going to make a XG of a filter only called out on a 50 year old farm tractor.
There IS a larger filter with 22mm threads but its standard element.
If you want a rediculously large filter, do a remote mount setup with a 3/4-16 filter head, and there is a 2 qt 3/4-16 filter that baldwin makes a high efficiency part number.

Last edited:
Baldwin B7311-MPG high efficiency baldwin 3/4-16 filter. -MPG meaning maximum performance glass.
If you wanna get crazy, use a stud converter on the 3/4-16 head to go to 1-16 thread.
Then you can use a fleetguard LF9028.
That filter has a 2 micron bypass element in addition to a standard element inside of it.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Baldwin B7311-MPG high efficiency baldwin 3/4-16 filter. -MPG meaning maximum performance glass.
If you wanna get crazy, use a stud converter on the 3/4-16 head to go to 1-16 thread.
Then you can use a fleetguard LF9028.
That filter has a 2 micron bypass element in addition to a standard element inside of it.

That's what I did to my 00 JGC.

Originally Posted By: mphilleo
It looks like my filter is the XG2, but so far my search for a longer version with the same threads and gasket diameter has been fruitless. ....XG2 is all we get.

XG2 is PLENTY for all of your needs, all the way to 20,00 miles easily.

I ran the smaller (FL-500) size Tough Guard TG10575 on a 4.6 in an F150, and it did great for 15,000 miles:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4426839/

I have 211k miles on my Nissan Altima 3.5 two door coupe. Running those rinky dink small 7317s.

Originally Posted By: mphilleo
I'm planning on doing an oil change on my truck with the updated Chrysler 4.7 (22mm threads). It looks like my filter is the XG2, but so far my search for a longer version with the same threads and gasket diameter has been fruitless. Most references are to the previous version of the 4.7 which has a different thread. In fact, I think I found a conversation on here from 2011 or 2012 saying XG2 is all we get. Has that changed since then?

I am inclined to ask why you seek a larger filter? It is my guess that you're of some opinion that larger is "better"?
Never mind that you'll probably not come anywhere close to ever utilizing the capacity of the XG2, you now want more?

If bigger is better, then try this:
ph7405afp (wix 51971)
Because filter size matters and is the best way to measure success, right?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back