Motobatt Motorcycle Batteries - China?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried every motorcycle battery brand out there.

Anything other than a Deka (East Penn) has been a total waste of money to me.

The Yuasa YTX20CH that came as original equipment in the bike in my sig has leaked sulfuric acid and corroded both terminals at less than 2000 miles on the bike. Enough to require the baking soda treatment then polishing with ultra fine emery paper.

The battery sits at a 60 deg tilt. It holds a charge just fine but once they leak they don't stop. Yuasa has refused to replace it so I'm going to put something else in on my own dime instead of running a warranty claim through the nearest Guzzi dealership that's 90 minutes drive.

That's okay with me since at time of purchase knew I'd be my own warranty for small stuff and in Moto Guzzi's defense this is not their DNA they just use Yuasa in bikes sold here, Europe they use other brand.

MrSilv04, yes, it needs the C size case to fit, I'd say it's not a mainstream fit.

I'd love a Deka or Bigcrank (both by eastern penn usa) but they don't offer anything that cross references. Interstate offers FATX20CH factory activated but they're mighty $proud$ of it and it's also several pounds heavier. Bike's ~ 600 lbs with the 8.5 gallon gas tank filled, want to keep battery at or below weight of the oem one. Every pound counts !!

All that said, it's still the only Moto Guzzi in my city that I know of and I love the thing ... great fit and finish, way fun to ride, and hardly anyone else has one. I like to have unique things, always drawn to the maverick stuff.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Spend the extra money and get a quality battery.

What?!?! The Motobatt is same price class as most vrla power sport batteries. I think you're looking at the $39 per 100 piece factory wholesale price to US importers that's shown in the first link. Motobatt msrp's it @ $117, but they go anywhere between $86 - $105.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Yeah, it's cheap... but I'll never buy one.

$117 msrp is cheap?

I'd probably just go on amazon and snag something.

In fact the one you linked goes for ~90$ there.

I buy all my batteries in eBay. I have found Deka the best and having over 20 ATVs, I bought alot of batteries.
I ve had good luck with Chrome batteries and thier other makes. I have not had good luck with Chinese batteries.
One lasted a month and forget about warranty because to get it you need to ship it back to China and chances are 9 out if 10 you will get it back in a month because they no longer exist at that address.
What is wrong with bike makers to install batteries on thier side, bent over ect. That CanAm Spyder has the battery on it's side but then again I think the whole bike is a maintenance nightmare. My Triumph sits upright in a nice little center tray only thing is you may have to disassemble the seat to even see it, so need a jump, not happening right away

Chrome batteries are relabeled Chinese too. If you're referring to the company Chrome Batteries, that's officed in Carmel or somewhere near Indianapolis. All they do is import and slap their label on.

Not bashing anyone, but was told on a few forums to not use motobatt and definitely, chrome is a chinese one!

I went with OEM Yuasa AGM version and so far, I am happy!

I've been using a Motobatt for about 3 or 4 years, and have fitted plenty to other bikes, never a problem. I like the sealed Motobatt, the previous Yuasa used to leak a bit. You can get black Motobatt now, my yellow one is a bit of an eyesore in my black bike...but I'm not too worried what people think about my bike anyway.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

Yeah, it's cheap... but I'll never buy one.

$117 msrp is cheap?

No, the other one from China ---- your post READS like that is the one you wanted to buy.

I'm also pretty impressed with Odyssey.

Find the closest one that fits & try it.

Mount in ANY position, NEVER any leaks, and hasn't lost any capacity/CCA since 2013. I am impressed.

I just have never tried one in a motorcycle.....

I have tried every motorcycle battery brand out there.

Anything other than a Deka (East Penn) has been a total waste of money to me.

Yuasa. [/thread]

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I buy all my batteries in eBay. I have found Deka the best and having over 20 ATVs, I bought alot of batteries.
I ve had good luck with Chrome batteries and thier other makes. I have not had good luck with Chinese batteries.
One lasted a month and forget about warranty because to get it you need to ship it back to China and chances are 9 out if 10 you will get it back in a month because they no longer exist at that address.
What is wrong with bike makers to install batteries on thier side, bent over ect. That CanAm Spyder has the battery on it's side but then again I think the whole bike is a maintenance nightmare. My Triumph sits upright in a nice little center tray only thing is you may have to disassemble the seat to even see it, so need a jump, not happening right away

My Burgman has the battery mounted on its side in the glove box. There is kind of noplace else to put it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back