if i keep my old tires will DT charge me disposal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my rt43 from DT last week. gonna try to bring them to DT to get them mounted and balanced. Friend has a vehicle that uses the same size and seeing there is about a little over 5/32 left on them he wanted to have them

Now DT in my state charges $10 for tire disposal fee. Since i am keeping mine , ya think they will still charge me ?

They should not and, based on my experience, will not. Just make sure you address the issue with DT up-front.

Probably state-specific. In my case, DT stores is Michigan would remove the fee from the final bill but I have to specify when making payment that I'm keeping old tires or that the wheels that the tires are going to be mounted on are brand new.

They don’t here, but you have to tell them because sometimes they forget to mark it off the computer.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
In Tx they won't.

Back in the late 90's, early 00's the disposal fee was mandatory on new tire sales in Texas. If it is no longer mandatory, that's great, but it hasn't always been that way.

And I can remember thinking that based upon the large number of peeve-off customers in regards to hearing this news at check-out time, the mandatory fee must have been a recent state law change. And honestly, it didn't line up for me at the time either - if you keep your tires, you shouldn't be charged a fee to dispose of them. Nevertheless, the fee was mandatory at the time, and we were told to explain it was out of our hands on whether or not to charge it, as it was a state law saying we had to.

I recall that being the case in some areas as well. Some places charge the disposal tax for every new tire purchase, regardless of whether they're actually disposing tires or not.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I recall that being the case in some areas as well. Some places charge the disposal tax for every new tire purchase, regardless of whether they're actually disposing tires or not.

there is both a disposal fee and enviromental fee

Yes, nobody here can tell you how much. It's only a phone call to know right away, so you can tell us if they do, or don't.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Yes! Libturdington lets no one out of taxes!

Well, except for state income taxes, which Washington doesn't have...

In Florida, if you take the tires, they dont charge you disposal. And in my town, I can put up to 8 tires at the curb for free pickup per year, and they will be picked up my the garbage collectors for free, no problem.

I almost always take my tires. If they are junk, the city takes them for free. If they have ANY life left on them, I'll put them on Craigslist. You would be surprised what people would pay for used tires. You can easily get $50 for a set of tires that you were just planning on throwing away. Thats free money.

So who pay to deal with used tires if they don't charge a fee? I would imagine landfill won't take it and burning them is only for student protesters in 3rd world countries.

You'll pay, one way (fees) or the other (taxes), whether you know it or not.

Originally Posted By: Danh

Well, except for state income taxes, which Washington doesn't have...

Yes but they more than make up for that in sales tax over 10% plus high property taxes plus fees galore. They will get you anyway they can.

If the OP is going to keep his tires for some other use then fine. People dumping tires is a problem everywhere and the local dumps will charge you for getting rid of them there as well.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

So who pay to deal with used tires if they don't charge a fee? I would imagine landfill won't take it and burning them is only for student protesters in 3rd world countries.

You'll pay, one way (fees) or the other (taxes), whether you know it or not.

It just depends how you dispose of it. Like others said, if the city takes it, you're already paying for it in taxes and it's a fixed yearly amount so no extra to get rid of them in the city trash if they take it. Or you eventually do a clean out and you toss it in the dumpster, then that's just part of the cost of the dumpster. Or you sell them on CL and it's whoever buys them.

You could always paint in white letters, "No Trespassing" or "No Hunting" on them, and go out into the country, and hang them
on fence posts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back