.327 Federal Magnum - Henry Big Boy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday afternoon flight of fancy...

Have a Browning B92 in .44Mag...it's got "microgroove" style rifling, and doesn't take to cast very well.

Have a Rossi Matched pair (.22/12Ga).

Was thinking of trying to get a barrel made up in .32H&R, or getting a mate to machine up a cartridge adaptor, which is legal, but not accurate.

Stumbling around the web, found the .327Fed Mag, and the Henry Big Boy in that calibre.

Again, it's flights of fancy, but could offload the Browning and get me half way there (assuming that I could find one) to what could be Jack of All trades...cat's sneeze, small(ish) game.

Anyone seen one of these in the wild ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Have a Browning B92 in .44Mag...it's got "microgroove" style rifling, and doesn't take to cast very well.

Was thinking of trying to get a barrel made up in .32H&R, or getting a mate to machine up a cartridge adaptor, which is legal, but not accurate.

Stumbling around the web, found the .327Fed Mag, and the Henry Big Boy in that calibre.

Again, it's flights of fancy, but could offload the Browning and get me half way there (assuming that I could find one) to what could be Jack of All trades...cat's sneeze, small(ish) game.

I wouldn't unload a Browning 92 for a Henry. That's like trading a Ferrari for a Chevy. But to each his own. I know Henry's sell well, and many people who own them swear by them. Many Henry's, (especially their .22's), have painted receivers. I can't stand paint on any gun. I force myself to live with my 2 CZ's in Black Polycoat. But I'm really careful with them so as not to scratch or damage the finish in any way. Painted guns look like playground equipment when they're scratched up.

Some of the larger caliber Henry's are built on blued steel receivers. Or else investment cast brass or bronze. But again I don't care for that big loading tube, instead of a loading gate. Now if you're talking about the actual Henry reproduction rifle, that's a different ball game. They have done an excellent job with those rifles. But their cost reflects that. I believe they're in the $2K range.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
If you want a Henry Big Boy, go for a .357. Way more ammunition flexibility, especially if you do not handload.

Exactly what I was thinking, the 357 Mag.
You can also download it to shoot 38 Specials, which are very gentle and quiet. Sort of like a big bore 22 Z.

If you want a Henry Big Boy, go for a .357. Way more ammunition flexibility, especially if you do not handload.

That was my first thought too. Also, some of the Henry rifles have a stock drop that feels unnatural to me.

Henrys have a buttery smooth action and are plenty accurate, but that's where my like stops of them.

As others have said, the construction quality feels a bit cheesy. In addition, for the price I REALLY dislike the fact that they don't have a King's Gate. I have a hard time paying $900 for a rifle when I can get a Rossi with the indestructible 92 type action(although it will never be as smooth as the Henry action-there's no getting around the extra force needed for the bolt locks) that has a King's gate on it.

With that said, I didn't realize that they'd chambered one in 327-one of my pet calibers. I might have to consider it, although a 92 chambered in 32-20 can be loaded pretty darn hot(albeit I'd have to be careful on that front as I wouldn't want rifle rounds in my S&W Model of 1899, for example).

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Are you sure the Browning has "microgroove" rifling? I believe it has standard cut rifling. What diameter cast are you shooting? Did you slug the barrel?

Wow, very surprised about the rifling.

cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back