Need an affordable 4x32 scope

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a couple of .22LRs for some family members for Christmas. Thought I'd include a scope with each one. Christmas money is getting tight so I need something that won't come close to breaking the bank (no Nikons, Luepolds, etc.). So far in my searching I've seen a lot of makes/brands I've never seen before. Some I'm familiar with I've flagged so far: a Simmons .22 Mag (~$30) and a Bushnell Banner (~$60). Although I'm leaning towards the fixed sight scope, I've also looked at a BSA Sweet 22 3x9x40 (~$49). Actually, the Bushnell and BSA scopes are pushing my maximum. Anyone have experience, good or bad, with any I've listed? Any other makes or models I'm missing that might work? These things will be used for target and small game. Won't be doing any long range sniping.

Use the iron sights and keep your eye open for a good used Leopold with a lifetime warranty.

You can buy cheaper and replace it several times or you can get a good scope in the first place.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Use the iron sights and keep your eye open for a good used Leopold with a lifetime warranty.

You can buy cheaper and replace it several times or you can get a good scope in the first place.

Good advice but not much help Christmas morning.

A cheap fixed is more likely to last than a cheap variable. Might see what Walmart has, make it easier to return if one goes bad? Honestly how can 1 $30 scope be better or worse than another?

Have you looked into Sightron scopes? They're quite good for the money. Weaver isn't bad either, for less expensive scopes.

Last edited:
I have a BSA zoom scope I bought at Gander Mountain years ago that works just fine on my Remington Viper .22. I have no need for anything better on it and it holds the adjustments just fine. It's not like your shopping a scope for a .308.

I probably will go with the Simmons. Just thought someone might have had some first hand knowledge or experience with the lower end scopes. Appreciate all the responses.

Try to find something that is small enough to match the size of the smaller .22 rifles. Those guns look stupid with big centerfire rifle scopes mounted on them. You should be able to find something out there that's suited size wise for .22's, that's inexpensive enough for your budget. There is a lot of inexpensive, yet good quality glass out there today. Bushnell is a good place to start.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Good advice but not much help Christmas morning.

A cheap fixed is more likely to last than a cheap variable. Might see what Walmart has, make it easier to return if one goes bad? Honestly how can 1 $30 scope be better or worse than another?

Well they are. Have to look through the scope to see the corona and the fishbowl lens effects of junk scopes ... Some are awful. Tasco used to make a decent 22 scope, dunno about today offerings...

Yes, you want a fixed power scope. No variables in your budget range.

I have some BSA dedicated 22 scopes that are OK. Mueller is way better. A shotgun scope will work too. Parallax is different for a 22. Shorter like an air rifle.

Check the air-rifle web sites and see what they are offering... Any good air rifle scope will work fine on a 22. No recoil to speak off, so their construction to deal with spring guns is usually enough to keep them together on a 22 for decades
smile.gif

Last edited:
I bought one if the Simmons .22 magnum scopes in clearance at Gander Mountains out of bussiness sales. I love it awesome scope. I give it thumbs up on my .22.
Check with Sportsman Guide when you want a good cheap scope too. They sell alot of Russian scopes that are high quality but cheap because they don't have the name reconition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back