Do you have a favorite Christmas light color(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here. I went with that look 30 years ago and never changed.

Here is a picture of the decorations from the past. Big lights around the picture window, miniatures elsewhere.

One year I made a Christmas greeting card with it. People thought it was nice, but then got a double treat when they looked at the address and saw it was my house, and not some random photo!

Last edited:
The multicolor sets grab my eye more, but I have to admit that the plain ol little white sparkly lights just say Xmas to me.
If a set is colored, the bulbs have to be big for them to work for me.

Multi-colored from back of the days when we would go out a saw down a tree and decorate it with tinsel and C9 lights (the large ones that would become so hot they could raise a blister). These days they are multi-colored mini-bulbs, but I am slowly transitioning them to LED as the mini's burn out.

I remember some people still having the big Xmas lights when I was young. They where colored night light bulbs.

Originally Posted By: Kira
+1
"...and drive a stake of holly through their hearts." (Ch. Dickens)

We are all expecting you to bring a goose on Xmas Day after you are visited by spectres and see the light...
;^)

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I remember some people still having the big Xmas lights when I was young. They where colored night light bulbs.

That's the size I'm thinking of, and my dad also had a string of colored lights the size of regular light bulbs that he would put up around above the mantle in the living room. I really liked those and have a similar string of big LED lights, but it's not quite the same.
We had two strings of the night light sized bulbs that we would put up on our arbor out front, but the vines on that got a bit overgrown and then the whole thing collapsed after a big snowstorm. :^(
Those vines are horrible and I found this summer that they had spread about ten feet or so underground and then came up to attack our mountain laurel...I need to rip all those vines out, even though my wife will scream blooding murder about killing poor plant. It's invasive and she made a terrible decision in picking it as a decorative planting.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Multi-colored from back of the days when we would go out a saw down a tree and decorate it with tinsel and C9 lights (the large ones that would become so hot they could raise a blister). These days they are multi-colored mini-bulbs, but I am slowly transitioning them to LED as the mini's burn out.

I remember those quite well. My parents always had to have a live tree. They weighted the thing down with those lights. Looking back I don't know how we survived the holidays without burning the house down. And, with the number of lights on the tree, I believe my dad was trying to signal an alien in another galaxy.

Last edited:
Growing up our parents bought a silver aluminum tree with the carousel color wheel underneath. We would lie down and look up through the tree.

Now I prefer led but some have really vivid and rich colors which are attractive.

I've gone back and forth over the years. Growing up, we always had multicolor / multi-way flashing mini-bulbs with either flower petal or ice crystal shaped bulb holders.

When my wife and I started our own traditions, we first did all-white bare minibulbs. Then multi-way flashing multicolor flower petal and ice-crystal. Then there was a span of using a pre-lighted artificial tree, but then its been real trees with multicolor LED for the last few years.THIS year I found the super fine-wire "fairy" LED strings in multi-color and used those. You practically can't see the wire, and I really like this look. The LEDs are just little plastic blobs along the wire.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G4QD1TK/ref...la-500526674592

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back