Car and Driver's Top 10 picks for 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a subscription to Car and Driver magazine because it was a good deal and I will say I have been enjoying it but thier top 10 pick is Bull and a bit agrevates me.
Being I own a Challenger and I am pretty much a Dodge and Ford guy I read that they didn't consider the Challenger since it hasn't changed since it's reentrance and they talked about the Hellcat but stated the Demon just wasn't in a price range that could be considered practical. Ok?
Now let's look at some of their Top 10 picks. Corvette, yeah, that's practical two seater, price ranges right in there for a middle income class, Chevy Camaro V6/V8, have they changed since they were introduced because you can still barely see out the windows, blind spots galore. Mazda Miata, are you serious, two seater and a trunk big enough for your half your age girlfriends make up bag, practical.But the Best one, Mercedes Benz AMG. Really, That's in a price range of what a house?
Sorry, I am venting but it's quite clear these tests and results are compromised. Not one Ford, really cause I see as many Fords as Toyotas who I don't think got any kudos either.

Their 10 best list is pretty misleading. It's basically the 10 best new cars. Which means that some older car could be better, but it's not new so it doesn't make their list.

Also the best is the E43 which some consider isn't a real AMG as that would be something like the E63 or S63/S65. It probably should have been called something like the E550 but they got rid of that in 2015. The E43 starts at about 72k but if you throw in the P3 package along with a few other options, you're well over 80k.

The E400 sedan should be out next year so that should be a little bit lower in price.

Please, I blew off such "Top 10 Lists" when I was a kid.

OOOhhhhh, it's the newest...it's the best....it's improved.....just marketing to look good in print.

I'd bet placement decisions have been made on such lists relevant to the pictures they had on hand.

Possibly the 10 best 'Fun to drive if someone else is paying' list.
Want 100 different top 10 lists of best anything?, simple, ask 100 people for their opinions.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Their 10 best list is pretty misleading. It's basically the 10 best new cars. Which means that some older car could be better, but it's not new so it doesn't make their list.

Completely false. New or significantly changes vehicles are the focus, but winners from the previous year get an automatic pass to compete in the next year's 10 Best competition. This is how the Accord has ended up on the list every year for decades despite not being new or significantly changed from one year to the next.

And seriously? Dodge Challenger?

Think of this: The Dodge Challenger hasn't had a significant refresh since it was introduced when George W. Bush was president.

Camaro was all new in 2016. Mustang was all new in 2015. Same Challenger since 2009.

Nobody would care much about the list if it didn't change substantially from year to year, interest in what's going to be new on the list is what's going to drive sales for that issue.

I dont think I could shoot a shotgun into the parking lot if a Walmart and not hit 10 Mustangs. Seems they are a top seller. Really surprised not to see them over a Camaro.

I agree with your view on the Camaro...I sat in one not too long ago and the outward visibility is absolutely horrible. The Vette being named one of the top cars doesn't surprise me as it's a world class sports car at a bargain price compared to the prices of the cars it's comparable too. It doesn't surprise me that the Challenger isn't on the list...the Hellcat and Demon versions are basically just overpowered bricks...

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I dont think I could shoot a shotgun into the parking lot if a Walmart and not hit 10 Mustangs. Seems they are a top seller. Really surprised not to see them over a Camaro.

Mustangs are as common as a penny...good cars, but they can be a bit boring...

Originally Posted By: Panzerman

I would not recommend trying that! Simply count 10 Mustangs..

About 30 + years ago I found magazines disgusting. All they dois promote theiradvertisers.

Car and Driver and Motor Trend have been out ofjtouch for many decades. I will look at one when I to to the Dr. or Dentist. They are as irrelevant as Time Magazine. I doin't know how they survive.

These lists are all bogus. "Best" can be defined in many different ways. Best driving, best fuel economy, best looking, best wallet drainer, etc.

Now it seems most lists revolve around technology. The car could literally be the ugliest, slowest, most uncomfortable and boring POS on 4 wheels but if it has Apple Car play it gets a thumbs up.

Generic rags have almost always been compromised with ad dollars and staff with limited scope.

used to be different with independent guys putting out stuff - too much money to do that anymore.

Rags that start out independent are usually either bought out - and then change, or fail because they tick off advertisers.

UD

Generally Poor writing for years now. And still almost as insignificant as they ever were.

I Miss daved E davis and others. Still, most come across as writers FIRST with little in-depth understaning of CAR-ness and always beholden to Le Grande Trois, plus some Germs and Asians.

I think the Chevy Vega had a MT COTY in 73!

I liked my '74 Vega GT actually. Good handler, a trainer or pretender Camaro Z28!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Generic rags have almost always been compromised with ad dollars and staff with limited scope.

used to be different with independent guys putting out stuff - too much money to do that anymore.

Rags that start out independent are usually either bought out - and then change, or fail because they tick off advertisers.

UD

Spot on 100000% correct.

I remember back 25 years ago the Ford Taurus always in the 10 best. Ford advertised like crazy in those magazines spending big $$$$$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back