Oil recommendation for old garden tractor on plow

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an old 14hp Cast Iron Kohler K321. About 100 hr on a rebuild. Plows for about .75-2 hours a snow event. Usual temperatures are 20-30 degrees F, as I try to get it cleaned up before the real cold sets in after the storm. Sometimes I have to run it from 0-20F, but only a few times a year. It sleeps in an unheated garage I'd guess about 25-35 degrees, but sometimes I leave the door open like a dummy & it starts from a colder ambient.

I run delo 15w40 in the warm seasons in it.

I was going to fill with my on hand 5w40 Rotella T6, but after looking it up, that's a THICK oil. (Like 14.x cst IIRC) so I had second thoughts. It's air cooled, and well shrouded. With the low ambient temperature, i wonder if it'd even hit 100c running. The motor is Spec'd for straight sae30 over 32 degrees, and 10w30 0-32 degrees with the (possibly old skool) caveat that it will consume from Kohler. Does that seem kinda thick & too far off spec for a splash luber?

So I jumped on BITOG, and wasted hours of my life lurking, and had mostly concluded GC 0w30. But I don't think that exists any more? Then I thought about M1 HM 5w30, or Rotella T5 10w30, but the are both super low cst IIRC, like 11.9@100c? This thing runs rich & probably shears oil like a sheep. Doesn't that seem pretty low vis?

Now I'm just lost & confused. Over analysis paralysis! Please help! (God I wish I could get GC 0w30!)

What's the best 0w / 5w HEAVY 30wt?

Is the 5w40 T6 really too heavy as I figure? I like that oil, and have it on hand. Maybe I should just dump that in

I'd prefer some good Zn / strong add pack for the old skool flat tappet design.

What would you guys recommend for a winter fill?

Sorry for the novel. Thanks for your time!

Max

If it liked 40 (Delo) in the summer and it's just winter temps you are concerned with, I'd switch it to 0W-40 and be happy (any brand as they are all good in this range). Very stout base oils and not too thick at op temp, plus very nice at cold temps when starting.

Does this thing have an electric starter, or are you pulling a rope?

As far as rich, I'd look into that... Does not need to be rich. The main jet on most of these old carbs is adjustable. So once it's up at op temp, tery turning it in a bit
smile.gif

Last edited:
You have T6 on hand?
Use it. I would. This is a higher quality oil than what Kohler had in mind when they made their recommendations.
No worries since it is a 5W qualified oil and a HDEO might be a better choice for this OPE.
These engines aren't all that picky about oil grade anyway.

My dad always ran 10w30 in his old wheel horses plowing and blowing snow in zero weather in PA. Never a issue in the Kohler motors. All this 0 Weight oil is hype. 10w30 would be fine. That's a simple motor.

The K series Kohler is a tough engine that will live a long life on conventional oil. I ran SAE 30 in mine year-round, but most of the hours were accrued mowing in the summer. I'd use a syn blend 10w30 in winter.

If it's like the Wheel Horse 310-8 tractor I had for 19 years with a Kohler 10 HP, it was made to run on conventional oil. I'd use a solid 10w-30 and just keep a close eye on your oil level, because it will use oil. I'd say you don't want to start that thing at 0-20 degrees with a straight 30.

How comfortable would everyone be using oil that's like 14.5 cst instead of the recommended 12.5 cst? In a winter application like this?

I'd really like to use my 5w40 T6 I'm really just not sure how significant this viscosity difference is.

I know these are tough motors. I know that it's pretty hard to kill them. LoL. When I bought this tractor, it consumed a pint of oil every 15 minutes of operation. I'm just hoping to get 1200 hours out of it, and if it locks on me, it'll really ruin my winter.

It took me well over a quart to mow my yard.

Ran it like that for about 75 hours. LoL.

Wasted alot of oil. Fogged a lot of mosquitos.

If you're worried about extended oil starvation I don't see how a 5w40 is going to be much different than a 10w30. However I'd never personally put 5w30 in such an engine. While I didn't put many hours on my K321 in severe cold (maybe a few dozen) I've plowed quite a bit with a Briggs 23CFB (9 HP flat head, side shaft) with straight 30 in the sump and it hasn't hurt it... but then again, I dunno what would.

My K321 used nearly no oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Alex_V
The K series Kohler is a tough engine that will live a long life on conventional oil.

Yes, and it was designed almost 70 years ago.

ANY oil that serves modern autos will be fine.

5W-40 will not be "too thick" for that engine for winter snowblowing.

Originally Posted By: PrimitiveJunk
How comfortable would everyone be using oil that's like 14.5 cst instead of the recommended 12.5 cst? In a winter application like this?

Just:

1) Never start at full throttle. That's just plain ol' stupid.

2) do NOT over-choke it. Once it starts, let it breathe!
Use only just as much choke as needed to keep it running - NO MORE.

3) Let it warm up slowly before putting it to work.

If that engine was using that much oil I would put 15w40 in it or straight weight. I would not being worried about cold starts. If that engine uses that much oil to mow the grass it has plenty of clearance between moving parts.

Last edited:
I have an old 1965-ish Wheelhorse Charger 12 with (I think) a similar engine. Just curious, why the rebuild? Also, why do you have the 1 pint of consumption every 15 mins?

Castrol 0w40 is nearly identical to GC 0w30. If that's what you want, get it. Honestly, you're not going to kill anything with a 15w40 though. Given the consumption, that is what I'd use.

I'd look into fixing the oil leak too.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I have an old 1965-ish Wheelhorse Charger 12 with (I think) a similar engine. Just curious, why the rebuild? Also, why do you have the 1 pint of consumption every 15 mins?

Castrol 0w40 is nearly identical to GC 0w30. If that's what you want, get it. Honestly, you're not going to kill anything with a 15w40 though. Given the consumption, that is what I'd use.

I'd look into fixing the oil leak too.

you kind of answered your own question(i think, if i read it right...)
that consumption was when op first bought it, and has been rebuilt since.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
My dad always ran 10w30 in his old wheel horses plowing and blowing snow in zero weather in PA. Never a issue in the Kohler motors. All this 0 Weight oil is hype. 10w30 would be fine. That's a simple motor.

+1

I run T-6 currently, I would just use that. T-5 10W-30 semi-syn might be a good alternative. For my B & S Intec 205 cc chipper motor, T-6 when cold seemed a little thick so I diluted it 1/3 with 5w-20 NAPA Syn. I had been running M1 10W-30 for several years but ran out.

Thank you all that responded. I just ordered a jug of 10w30 T5! The 5w40 would probably be fine, but, what the heck, the 30 weight oil is listed, and while at warm temps I like the heavier 40 weight - In cold weather, I just don't know. I feel like this is the safe play, so here I go.

Thanks again forum!

Max

Well its clearly going to run much colder in the winter.

I would put in a 5w30 syn and enjoy the much easier cranking.

My jd212 is a slow cranker at 40f with 15w40 let alone 0f.

I like the 10w30 T5 not sure its the optimal oil for winter but as long as you arent starting it much in below 0 should work similar to a 5w30.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back