'03 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.7L V6 - 3300mi - Penn Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silicon going down from last oil sample. Changed the air filter from Pentius to Hyundai OEM. Filter had less than 7k miles on it and was not dirty. Haven't done any work recently on it to warrant the high silicone. I am using Hyundai OEM oil filters. This was a 6 month oil change.

Last edited:
The wear numbers look good but I agree you could go much further on Pennzoil's flagship PCMO....I'd bet you would have had just as good of a UOA on PYB.

What was the previous oil used?
Wear iron was about on par with Universal Averages on the important per-mile basis, so no problem with wear.
Silicon, yeah, does seem too high, so if your air filter fits tight that should be solved now.

The previous oil used was Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic. That's what I filled it up with this OCI as well.

Last edited:
been running QSGB and citgo supergard for life of the car .....,,,, 280 K and Blackstone says A-OK
2.7 is a very durable motor, I run between 4 & 5 k OCI on this car as the car sees severe use in the chicago metro area , and my sons 03 santa fe is tight at 156K up in the frozen land of 10,000 lakes at school.

boom10ful
Those previous numbers for the Kendall GTX1 look a little better than the Pennzoil Ultra. I’m on my second Korean car and I always use OE oil filters. For air filters, it’s either WIX or OE. I do 5,000 mile OCIs. Check all of the plastic plumbing of your air intake system. There could be a loose connection somewhere. It can happen when moving things around when installing the air filter or battery.

I had similar wear numbers in my 2006 with this same engine. Nitration was the issue for mine and I couldn't go past 6,000 miles (10,000km) on oil changes. It made it to 300K miles (535,000km). The Silicon and Copper are from gasket materials and nothing to worry about.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I have checked and replaced both intake elbows that were cracked about a year ago. Spraying around the intake with carb cleaner shows no vacuum leaks. The only thing that I am suspecting now is that the air filter wasn't doing its job or that the o-rings that seal the dipstick to the dipstick tube are worn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back