You Want To See Tight Formation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best not stir up a hornets nest
wink.gif

Nobody does close formation better than the Blue Angels.

Thunderbirds put on a really great show, I was inspired to fly when I first saw the Thunderbirds at Pease AFB over 30 years ago, but they're a lot farther apart.

I'll pause here while the USAF fan-boys attempt to deny the reality...

Last edited:
GO NAVY! I make it a point to see them when they fly out of Republic Airport and do the airshow at Jones Beach.

The Blue Angles are the best . What a work out doing that kind of flying.

The Thunderbirds are kind of boring compared to the Blue Angels.

First show I saw with the Skyhawks was amazing..... the Hornets make it even a better show.

I read somewhere that their planes are set up for flying with the pilots having to resist a lot of forward pressure constantly being applied on the stick. Does anyone know the reason for that? This is all I could find.

"“Springs” refers to the mechanical device that Blue Angels jets have attached to the control stick that creates 7 pounds of forward pressure, which allows pilots more positive control and allows them to fly smoother."

http://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/h...o-super-hornets

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Nobody does close formation better than the Blue Angels.

Thunderbirds put on a really great show, I was inspired to fly when I first saw the Thunderbirds at Pease AFB over 30 years ago, but they're a lot farther apart.

I'll pause here while the USAF fan-boys attempt to deny the reality...
Does the air force land their planes on aircraft carriers
as a
27.gif
standard operating procedure?

Originally Posted By: billt460
I read somewhere that their planes are set up for flying with the pilots having to resist a lot of forward pressure constantly being applied on the stick. Does anyone know the reason for that? This is all I could find.

"“Springs” refers to the mechanical device that Blue Angels jets have attached to the control stick that creates 7 pounds of forward pressure, which allows pilots more positive control and allows them to fly smoother."

http://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/h...o-super-hornets

The spring adds about 30# of force to the stick, pulling it forward. The Blues feel that the constant pull allows more precise control of pitch.

The pilots lift weights every day and run every day. Cardio workouts to sustain the level of effort and strength training to handle both the stick forces and G forces. They fly without G-suits, as their stick arm (right arm) rests on their right thigh. The inflation/deflation of the G suit is thought to move the fulcrum on which they move the stick and degrade precision.

I don't agree with the last point, having flown a lot of formation, and having flown the F/A-18, but it is their position that it improves precision.

Flying without a G suit in a 7.5G airplane has also killed some of the Blue Angel pilots, including a friend named Kevin Colling.

What these guys do is tremendously challenging. They do it incredibly well.

But it is not without risk. .

Both teams are amazing, from their talent to their training to the machines they fly. They are incredible to watch and both bring a huge sense of pride to the combined military forces of the US.

One doesn't have to be 'better'. You don't have to choose one.

It's a dangerous business. A friend of mine, Lt. Bill Worley was killed practicing in El Centro, January 14. 1968. He had just returned from a combat tour in Vietnam and was one of 2 solo pilots on the team. It's just plain dangerous.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Oldie but a goodie
This is what UAL pilots do when no one is watching!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back