Tell us about your Christmas tree this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real, artificial?
Height?
Color scheme?
Etc..

Ours this year as last is a 12" ceramic tree with lights built in.

5.5' artificial, pre-lit - but also added LED's

It's just the right size for my situation.

I know lots of folks this year (3 is a lot to me) that are now putting up 12' trees

We don't put one up.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: AndyinAL
2. Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.

3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.

4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

I don't follow pagan traditions. I celebrate my faith daily. If you study the Bible and the timeline surrounding the birth of Jesus you see that he was born in September. December 25th is a pagan holiday that was celebrated before the birth of Jesus.

Good for you. Most bible scholars agree the verses you quoted are not referring to Christmas trees, but idolatry. I doubt any of us are worshipping our trees.

Originally Posted By: Starman2112

Good for you. Most bible scholars agree the verses you quoted are not referring to Christmas trees, but idolatry. I doubt any of us are worshiping our trees.

The presence of, or lack of, a Christmas tree while growing up had no influence on my decision to accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior. The reason I made that decision was orders of magnitude of importance over the presence of a decorated tree.

I couldn't deny my daughter the fun of Christmas. I DO however, make sure she knows that Jesus is the reason for the season, but we both just have so much fun with the holiday, I couldn't exclude ourselves from it.

I am sad for those that have a deep depression at this time of the year.
I personally enjoy how (overall) people seem to be more cheerful and happy.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Starman2112

Good for you. Most bible scholars agree the verses you quoted are not referring to Christmas trees, but idolatry. I doubt any of us are worshiping our trees.

The presence of, or lack of, a Christmas tree while growing up had no influence on my decision to accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior. The reason I made that decision was orders of magnitude of importance over the presence of a decorated tree.

I couldn't deny my daughter the fun of Christmas. I DO however, make sure she knows that Jesus is the reason for the season, but we both just have so much fun with the holiday, I couldn't exclude ourselves from it.

I am sad for those that have a deep depression at this time of the year.
I personally enjoy how (overall) people seem to be more cheerful and happy.

Well said. I couldn’t agree more.

6-7 frasier fir from Menard's. $26
Is holding onto its needles like a champ.
Sucking down almost 1/2 gallon of water per day.

I agree with the above comments that Christmas is not about the tree but is a celebration of the birth of our Savior.

Xmas trees are (were) a minor bone of contention in our home. My side was needless expense and trouble plus a huge safety issue. Her side: not Xmas without a tree, and they smell nice. (eliminates the compromise of a fake tree). This yr, in order to promote domestic tranquility, I will consent to a tree. I will get it out of the house 1/6 and keep the lights off meantime.

Know this, a tree contains roughly the destructive potential of a qt bottle full of gas with a rag wick. You don't store gas in your house do you?

As far as it being a pagan holiday overlaid on Christianity, that just adds to the atmosphere
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I could care less about whatever religious ties a tree does or doesn't have as I am atheist. I like having a tree and lights and decorations inside and outside.

Originally Posted By: AndyinAL
2. Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.

3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.

4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

I don't follow pagan traditions. I celebrate my faith daily. If you study the Bible and the timeline surrounding the birth of Jesus you see that he was born in September. December 25th is a pagan holiday that was celebrated before the birth of Jesus.

You are the first believer I've ever heard of that feels this way about a Christmas tree. Kind of sad....yet I won't ridicule you as this is your belief. But intent and purpose of those that do means a whole lot more than an obscure historical background. It's in ones heart (for lack of a better word) that counts. If God exists I don't think He would be upset at seeing a family put up a tree. Just the opposite I would guess.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

You are the first believer I've ever heard of that feels this way about a Christmas tree. Kind of sad....yet I won't ridicule you as this is your belief. If God exists I don't think He would be upset at seeing a family put up a tree. Just the opposite I would guess.

The passage is from the book of Jeremiah, which is "Old law" or "Old covenant".
Jesus came to bring a "New covenant".....
yes, that is very over-simplified.....
But, it's also why I don't live my life according to "old covenant".

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I could care less about whatever religious ties a tree does or doesn't have as I am atheist. I like having a tree and lights and decorations inside and outside.

My brother is an atheist,
I am a devout Christian...
we celebrate Christmas together!

It's a good time of the year to seek common ground.

Remember, the First rule: "Love thy neighbor" - - it applies to family members as well, BTW.

My wife bought is and decorated it and it is in the living room. The tree is a real one.

8 foot Natural tree, paid 20$. I like having a tree, we like to decorate inside and out. We like being festive and I dont think it always needs to be related to religious beliefs as some have pointed out. Its a fun time to spend some time with friends and family and those you care about. Plus the fresh smelling tree is a bonus. Love the smell
smile.gif

It does appear that many dont like to do much of that, likely wrong of me but I tend to think those who dont like to do anything should try to find reasons to get festive. It puts you in a more positive mood and the world could use happier people
smile.gif

We put up a small, 5' -6'real tree and decorate it modestly with ornaments tied to our lives, past and present.

I have accepted that humans are incapable of determining the truth (worship in spirit and truth). Otherwise, there wouldn't be hundreds of different belief systems.
The Wikipedia articles on origins(I know,
21.gif
) bear this out.

Rolla07, your last sentence is very refreshing "It puts you in a more positive mood and the world could use happier people". You are a good person.

Once church lets out, one of the moderators will eliminate this thread due to BITOG policy, which we are violating. I hope not to get my first vacation.
grin.gif
Forgiveness is a virtue.

Car51, have you ever thought about hanging cut open filter parts on your tree?
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back