Swapping Tires Alloy to Steelies - or Sell Alloy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
My '15 Legacy came with the lower-end 17" alloy wheels with around half tread remaining on the stock tires.

I planned to find a good deal on the higher end 18" alloys or something equivalent for cheap on one of the Subie forums, but was unsuccessful. The winter tire sales on Tirerack were expiring, so I chose to purchase 17" steelies with new Blizzaks for this upcoming winter.

I just purchased a set of STI 18" BBS wheels (forged, light wheels) with nearly-new Conti DWS tires and TPMS sensors for $1250 - a very good deal! I'm trying to figure out which of the following options makes the most sense and was looking for some help:

1. Sell the OEM 17" alloys with stock tires and TPMS
1.a. Keep the winter package as-is: steelies, Blizzak, no TPMS sensors
1.b. This would be the easiest route to take, and the OEM 17" should be easy to sell with TPMS and as a complete package.

2 Have my local tire shop swap the Blizzaks onto the 17" alloys and the stock all-season tires onto the steelies
2.a. Sell the steelies with stock tires, without any TPMS sensors
2.b. I'd have to pay the shop to swap and balance all 8 tires (price TBD)
2.c. Would be harder to sell, I think
2.d. Would result in the preferred condition, with alloy wheels, which are easier to clean snow out from, and TPMS, which I would have to have someone clone to make them work

3. Swap the tires, but sell the steelies with stock all-season tires and the TPMS sensors
3.a. I've never had winter tires with TPMS, so it wouldn't bother me to have the TPMS warning light in the dash for the winters - not idea, though
3.b Might be easier to sell than without TPMS sensors included.

Thanks, guys.

You can always offer two scenarios up for sale (before paying for dismounting) and seeing which one someone bites for. If there's a scenario you prefer to not have happen you can over-price it.

Whatever you do, keep the TPMS sensors! Subie's and Toyota's are the worst, since they are pretty much vehicle specific, and not simple to use on a different car anyway.

I'll be installing the winter set soon, so I'll need to make a decision within the next couple of weeks.

I really feel like keeping the steelies/winters and selling the alloys as they are makes the most sense. However, I've already had a couple of instances where the steelies (which I have with the Forester's Blizzak winter setup) were packed with snow and I was not able to get under the car and clear it out. Luckily, the snow flattened out after a while, but I had to drive at reduced speeds for a while in the middle of a long, snowy trip, with the tire bouncing up and down, causing a ton of vibration. It was ridiculous.

With the alloys, I'd be able to reach in and clean it out or at the very least spray some ice melt or take it to a manual car was and spray it out.

So, while I haven't had this kind of major issue with steelies happen often, it has happened and almost caused us to stop and for me to have to slide in the slush and snow under the car to scoop out the compacted snow inside the rim, if it had not cleared up each time within ~10 miles.

I like the first option. Maybe some cheap plastic wheel covers would help prevent the snow from getting compacted into the wheel.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I like the first option. Maybe some cheap plastic wheel covers would help prevent the snow from getting compacted into the wheel.

The snow comes in from the inside. Admittedly, keeping the steelies for my winter setup is the easiest answer, but the alloys male the most sense long-term. A little bit of extra money and headache for long-term gain.

Ok gotcha, maybe have the snow tires installed on the 17 oem rims then. Sell the steelies and tire on CL separately. That way you don't have to pay mounting. Then someone can mount their own snow tires on the steelies if they want. Gives them a little flexibility to do what they want.

Strange that snow packs from the inside, you'd think everyone else would have that problem too?

I'd sell the alloys with the 1/2 worn tires and just keep the steelies for winter.

IS the bolt pattern/offset common? And how long as Subaru used it? Can pre-2008 Subarus (before TPMS was required) use those wheels? If so, then there will still plenty of older Subaru models that could use the wheels without TPMS. You may also be able to sell them to someone in Canada, where TPMS isn't required, either. Plenty of Canadians cross the border to buy stuff at a lower price.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Strange that snow packs from the inside, you'd think everyone else would have that problem too?

I'd sell the alloys with the 1/2 worn tires and just keep the steelies for winter.

I always get same issue with my steel wheels in winter with snow. I think it throws off the balancing. Not always easy but I try to find indoor parking somewhere (while running other errands) and once snow melts it settles things. Not sure this only happens on steel wheels, i doubt it.

I do agree with Nick on selling the alloys. I like steel wheels in winter

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Ok gotcha, maybe have the snow tires installed on the 17 oem rims then. Sell the steelies and tire on CL separately. That way you don't have to pay mounting. Then someone can mount their own snow tires on the steelies if they want. Gives them a little flexibility to do what they want.

That's actually a great idea I hadn't thought of. Definitely worth considering.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
IS the bolt pattern/offset common? And how long as Subaru used it? Can pre-2008 Subarus (before TPMS was required) use those wheels? If so, then there will still plenty of older Subaru models that could use the wheels without TPMS. You may also be able to sell them to someone in Canada, where TPMS isn't required, either. Plenty of Canadians cross the border to buy stuff at a lower price.

For later model Legacy's (I think starting in 2015), Subaru increased the hub size. The Wheels are now 5X114.3, which is why I was able to get the WRX STI BBS forged wheels. Offset is pretty standard.

Really, I saved so much money on the STI wheels/tires, it doesn't matter if I make much on whichever leftovers I end up selling.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07

I always get same issue with my steel wheels in winter with snow. I think it throws off the balancing. Not always easy but I try to find indoor parking somewhere (while running other errands) and once snow melts it settles things. Not sure this only happens on steel wheels, i doubt it.

I do agree with Nick on selling the alloys. I like steel wheels in winter

I have had steelies for winter setups on a couple of previous vehicles without any issues. I was shocked when we got on the highway in the Forester and it started to shake badly. It was so bad that I had to pull over and see what I could do. I could shine my flashlight from the opposite side and see the buildup of snow inside the rim, but couldn't reach it without sliding in through the nasty slush to get behind the tire. This has only happened twice. The first time I was headed 2 hrs away for drill weekend. The other was only home from work, so it didn't matter too much or cause much of an issues, since I was only driving ~20 MPH in white-out conditions.

I really want to keep the steelies and sell the 17" alloys/tires as-is, but there are times when having my steelies causing that much imbalance would be inconvenient and, on rare occasions, a major potential problem.

At least for now I've decided to install the steelies. I'll do some more research and see if it's worth trying to sell them or if it it makes more sense to keep them. If I can't get more than a few hundred for them, then it makes more sense to have them as spares. I can think of a couple of scenarios where it would make sense to have a full spare set.

1. The STI BBS wheels are forged, but they can still bend or be damaged beyond repair. I could install the OEM 17" alloys while I source a new BBS wheel for a reasonable price

2. I live in a good area, but there's always the possibility that these wheels could be stolen. This would save me from spending a lot trying to source four wheels/tires, or from having to drive on my winter setup

//

I may still decide to swap the snow tires onto the OEM alloys next season if I can't sell them, and keep the steelies and OEM all-season tires as an even cheaper spare set. At the very least I wouldn't feel nearly as bad about letting the steelies and half-worn stock tires go for a low price, if I didn't feel like keeping them around or if someone was in a pinch.

A little late to the game, but I always have that problem with steel wheels. Be it snow or mud.

Still, I'll take steel where possible. Better than the alloys that end up leaking after 3 off road trips or one winter.

If i was in your shoes, I would sell the oem wheel and tire set. If you wanted to upgrade your spring/summer/fall wheels and tires to 18", you could put the money from the oem wheels toward the upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back