2014 Focus DCT Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the partner's 2011, 165,000 mile 2011 Focus met an untimely end the other day when someone stopped at their stop sign, but then pulled directly into the path of the Focus - that didn't have a stop sign. The car was totaled - somehow it bled out its oil (cracked block? damaged oil filter?) and the tow driver kept trying to run it. The rod knock was sickening, and the 500 mile old Valvoline synthetic was making it's way toward the lake with the coolant.

Today, found, test-drove, and bought a nice looking and nicely optioned 2014 Focus SE, with the powershift and 65k. The dealer lot was icy, and the Cooper tires are loud and not good on snow. The test drive went well, just loud tires. The price was good, so we bought it.

Now, driving on familiar roads and having read much more that I should have read earlier about Ford DCTs, I realize that the clutch pack is slipping/shuddering in 2nd gear. On the hill we live on, it shudders pretty much all the way up, driving slowly at 15 mph.

It's my issue for not noticing it on the test drive, so I'm not going to blame the dealer. But what should the direction be from here? Sounds like there's a class action suit - don't know if we'd qualify since we just bought it. I'm totally comfortable changing the clutches myself, although they are spendy and hard to find.

It's disappointing that Ford put out something so [censored]. But I'm in it to win it. Any ideas?

Last edited:
OP:

The DCT clutches are not a DIY job. I honestly think the best solution is to sell the car and buy something else. Take the loss now.

Notice in our signature, we have a 2015 Ford Focus with the DCT trans. It's worked well for us but 99% of the driving in that car is highway cruise. Stop and go is what kills the DCT clutches. FWIW, we leased our Focus for a temporary long commute situation. We will turn the vehicle in at lease end. Given the widespread DCT problems are I'd never consider keeping it at lease end no matter how much I liked the vehicle overall.

The car really is nice - perfect for our temporary needs - but the DCT is a big, unfixable problem.

Scott

Well, my grandparents had a 14 Focus with the PowerShift and they traded it in at 20K because of the transmission issues. I have a coworker who purchased a 2012 with 67K. I told her not to buy it, but she said the transmission was replaced so it's ok. They seem to have extended the warranty from what I understand. It's probably good to look into that! I certainly would not have complete confidence in the car.

Clutches aren't hard to find. I have them for Focus and Fiesta in stock along with the seal kits at any given time. I would never buy one now have I ever recommended one to anyone. I tell people if they want a Focus or a Fiesta, buy a manual.

Get rid of it as soon as you can...they DCT will just fail over and over again.....just not worth it.

Which is sad, as I really like the Focus (fave is the hatch)

Starting to wonder if it is becoming an issue with all Ford products, as I have 3 friends with Escape trans issues, and a co worker with a trans issue in his Fusion...

Not sure what is up...wanted both a Focus hatch and an Escape (recently), but the issues are pushing me away....

Originally Posted By: itguy08
The DCT vehicles are definitely not the best thing Ford has put forward (that's being nice).

Maybe you are covered under this: http://fordfocustransmissionwarrantyextension.com/

From what I remember seeing and reading there are LOTS of specialized tools to do the clutch pack and the transmission has to be re-programmed.

And big money fix as well...

And I've seen more than a few dealerships make the customer pay it as well....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Get rid of it as soon as you can...they DCT will just fail over and over again.....just not worth it.

Which is sad, as I really like the Focus (fave is the hatch)

Starting to wonder if it is becoming an issue with all Ford products, as I have 3 friends with Escape trans issues, and a co worker with a trans issue in his Fusion...

Not sure what is up...wanted both a Focus hatch and an Escape (recently), but the issues are pushing me away....

What sort of Escape trans issues ? Wife has a 2017 Escape 2.0 turbo and I have not heard of any systemic trans problem. It drives sweet, poised and perfect.

Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
What sort of Escape trans issues ? Wife has a 2017 Escape 2.0 turbo and I have not heard of any systemic trans problem. It drives sweet, poised and perfect.

It was the earlier escape/tribute models. The CD4E trans had a nasty habit of dropping 3rd and 4th gear. Band failure I believe.

A co-worker had a Focus with a DCT and took it in while under warranty to be fixed. It starting acting up again and he traded it in on a new Ford Fusion.

Originally Posted By: antonmnster
So the partner's 2011, 165,000 mile 2011 Focus met an untimely end the other day when someone stopped at their stop sign, but then pulled directly into the path of the Focus - that didn't have a stop sign. The car was totaled - somehow it bled out its oil (cracked block? damaged oil filter?) and the tow driver kept trying to run it. The rod knock was sickening, and the 500 mile old Valvoline synthetic was making it's way toward the lake with the coolant.

Today, found, test-drove, and bought a nice looking and nicely optioned 2014 Focus SE, with the powershift and 65k. The dealer lot was icy, and the Cooper tires are loud and not good on snow. The test drive went well, just loud tires. The price was good, so we bought it.

Now, driving on familiar roads and having read much more that I should have read earlier about Ford DCTs, I realize that the clutch pack is slipping/shuddering in 2nd gear. On the hill we live on, it shudders pretty much all the way up, driving slowly at 15 mph.

It's my issue for not noticing it on the test drive, so I'm not going to blame the dealer. But what should the direction be from here? Sounds like there's a class action suit - don't know if we'd qualify since we just bought it. I'm totally comfortable changing the clutches myself, although they are spendy and hard to find.

It's disappointing that Ford put out something so [censored]. But I'm in it to win it. Any ideas?

Maybe 15 mph uphill is too slow for 2nd gear? Try first gear maybe.

Take the car back to the dealer.

They're not going to want the bad publicity that this could generate for them and they may have honestly not checked it out thoroughly enough to know that the issue exists.

Ford should've replaced those awful DCT's with a regular automatic. They have a special version of the sedan with the 1.0T which comes with a regular 6-speed automatic. Ford should simply swap one of those in place of the DCT.

In fact, they probably could have by now, given the enormous recalls they have already done to this transmission.

My family recently was looking at the Focus for a car for my oldest son. The discounts off MSRP for a new Focus are huge........I wonder why; even with that we steered clear and I'm glad we stayed away from it. As much negative feeling as there is toward CVT's, I don't think anyone builds a more questionable tranny than the Ford DCT.

I have a 2014 Focus that I purchased new ...... I purposely bought it with a manual...I'm nearing 30K of totally trouble free driving. The DCT was/is a disaster and I hope the 'engineer' who designed it was fired just as GM should have fired their intake gasket guy....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back