Rural King

Status
Not open for further replies.
.Anybody seen Rural King branded oil at the Rural King store? It is selling at $9.99 for a 5 quart jug. That is full synthetic. They even have 0-20w oil . I don`t know how good it is but I have never seen oil that cheap.

Yes and their conventional is $1.59/quart and I think about $7/jug. Although prob worth spending a few bucks more for the full syn.

Can you tell if its bottled by Citgo or by Warren Oil Company? I'm not sure which blender Rural King is using now. Last I checked was a year ago and the regular price for quarts of the store's synthetic was $2.79.

Harvest King oil (which is the most current house brand sold at RK) is made by Citgo.
The older 'Rural King' brand (which seems to be being phased out) is made by Warren-Unilube (not Warren Performance Products aka WPP).

There ya go pbm. Spot on. Rural King is made by Citgo now. Dexos approved oil for $10 5 qt container is quite good.

Jimkobb, I have a VOA of the Harvest King 5W-30 posted in the VOA section... it's nothing "spectacular" to most of the self-proclaimed experts here, but if you're looking for a solid 5k-7.5k Dexos certified synthetic for $10 oil changes, it will fit the bill nicely. I concur, it is a Citgo oil.

The Harvest King synthetics have identical dexos licence numbers as the Citgo synthetics so I'm ASSUMING the oils are identical?

I mainly posted because I`ve never seen a synthetic oil nowhere near that price. I`ve been using Mobil 1 0-20w in my 2014 Corolla.

I have a friend running 5W-20 full-synth Harvest King in his 2015 Mustang GT - I am trying to convince him to do a UOA at 10,000 miles
grin.gif

Here's a couple UOAs of RK dino oil at 10k miles. And it is contrasted to the other two UOAs of Peak full synthetic.

RK dino oil at $1.59/qrt is the unsung hero of the lube world. Does everything you could ever ask of it in a typical use scenario, and does it well, and does it for cheap. Pretty much no engine "needs" a syn costing $4, $6, $8? What the owner wants and what the engine needs are often to very different things.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4595678#Post4595678

In the UOAs, samples A and C are on a 2005 MGM now with over 240k miles on it. Samples B and D are on a 2007 MGM now with over 100k miles on it.

When I first posted the UOAs, I left out the descriptions (oil brand, base, grade, etc) so folks would focus on the results of wear and contamination, not some brand or grade or base stock. I have updated (edited) the post to include those now.

As you can see, RK dino oil is good stuff, and performs on par with a brand name syn (Peak). But that's pretty much true of most all lubes; any decent API licensed product used in the correct application will do the job well. Too many folks are hung up on brand/grade/base and frankly, it just doesn't matter. You're much better off being loyal to your wallet than some brand.

Sounds like it was a good idea for Citgo to make all these private labels, wind up with Mystik, etc … because when Hugo Chavez was at his worst … stores had to change gasoline brands around here … (get rid of Citgo)

Citgo makes a number of 'house brand' oils due
to under bidding the other sources/blenders.
Not that there's anything wrong with Citgo products,
most folks couldn't care less about politics when it
comes to prices they pay.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Citgo makes a number of 'house brand' oils due
to under bidding the other sources/blenders.
Not that there's anything wrong with Citgo products,
most folks couldn't care less about politics when it
comes to prices they pay.

My 2¢

Exactly! Well under $10 for jug of Conventional or Syn is a deal. Putting a Rural King within 10 miles of me
smile.gif

Rural King full synthetic 5w-30 is what I run in all three of my vehicles.

2017 Chrysler Pacifica
2012 Chevrolet Suburban
2005 Jeep Rubicon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back