Michelin Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think this is fake news.

Some don't like Michelin because they cracked in previous years. I was told they had a bunch of problems when Obama killed coal as coal was used heavily in Michelin's formulation. This was why we saw Michelin's quality drop a few years back. Apparently it took them a few years to get things reformulated.

Is anyone still having problems with "new" Michelins?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gebo

Some don't like Michelin because they cracked in previous years. I was told they had a bunch of problems when Obama killed coal as coal was used heavily in Michelin's formulation. This was why we saw Michelin's quality drop a few years back. Apparently it took them a few years to get things reformulated.

lol.gif

Can't tell if this is serious, but I'm going to answer like it is, in case anyone reading it takes it seriously.

No, this is not fake news. But literally 100% of it is exaggerated, misleadingly put, and/or false.

Been running Michelin almost exclusively for 9 years now. Excellent without exception. Quality is better than anything else I have ever run, which is one reason why I keep coming back. I don't run their mainstream consumer tires, though.

While this is not political forum, I would like to know how Obama "killed" coal?
We get electricity here from coal plant, and I just flipped switch few seconds ago and we still have electricity.
Fake new+have no idea about energy policy and relations between natural gas and coal.

Carbon is the blackening agent in rubber (usually). It can come from any number of sources... Coal might be one ...

Michelin concentrates on traction and handling, for the most part. Their rubber compounds have been lousy for aging well. But they handle great and their winter tires do very well.

So it all comes down to what you need ... Long life sitting like a motor home - not Michelin's strong suite. Use Toyo or Yokohama or even Bridgestone instead.

Less than 5 years life needed, Michelin is fine
smile.gif

You can't really make grippy tires that do not ozone crack and react to UV. You can make long life hard tires that will wear like iron and still be rolling 10 years from now, but they won't handle like Michelin ...

Originally Posted By: edyvw

While this is not political forum, I would like to know how Obama "killed" coal?
We get electricity here from coal plant, and I just flipped switch few seconds ago and we still have electricity.
Fake new+have no idea about energy policy and relations between natural gas and coal.

Maybe you should pay a visit to the great people of WV. Maybe you should talk with some of the local utility companies that had coal fire manufacturing plants on the east coast. However, my issue of "fake news" was not what the EPA was allowed to do to coal production and usage here in the USA. My issue is questioning what a person told me as to why Michelin's got a bad rap a few years ago. I am just seeing if any of you think it is true that Michelin's quality may have suffered do to their having to reformulate because of their lack of coal as an ingredient. That's all.

I am a Michelin fan boy. Only tire I buy as long as it comes in my sizes. After that I go with Mastercraft.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

lol.gif

Can't tell if this is serious, but I'm going to answer like it is, in case anyone reading it takes it seriously.

No, this is not fake news. But literally 100% of it is exaggerated, misleadingly put, and/or false.

Been running Michelin almost exclusively for 9 years now. Excellent without exception. Quality is better than anything else I have ever run, which is one reason why I keep coming back. I don't run their mainstream consumer tires, though.

I'm very serious. For the record, every car I personally own, including the church van, has Michelin on it. I don't even consider other brands unless I can't get a Michelin in my sizes.

I just saw where a lot of people complain about Michelin quality and my tire distributor told me about the "coal" issue a month or so ago. Just checking to see if any of you can vouch for the story. I have never had a problem with any Michelin tire.

lol.gif

The

I'm very serious. For the record, every car I personally own, including the church van, has Michelin on it. I don't even consider other brands unless I can't get a Michelin in my sizes.

I just saw where a lot of people complain about Michelin quality and my tire distributor told me about the "coal" issue a month or so ago. Just checking to see if any of you can vouch for the story. I have never had a problem with any Michelin tire.

Then the OP is fake news

If they need coal they can get it from lots of places that still have it.

Obama never 'killed' coal for other uses, just wanted to phase out coal for power generation,
in the end natural gas got cheaper and utilities started dropping coal anyway.

But for rubber compounding for tires, engine mounts and suspension bushings,
'carbon black' powder is among the ingredients added. for sure.

I've had no issues whatsoever with the Michelin tires on my 318ti, M235i, or my son's 328i. The PSS that were the OEM fitment lasted 32K miles- and that included three days at an HPDE and one night at the 1/8 mile drag strip. I did put Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires on the Clubman- primarily because Michelin doesn't offer an equivalent tire in that size.

Originally Posted By: 4WD

lol.gif

The

Then the OP is fake news

Agree with the spirit of your conclusion, but I have to harp on something.

"Fake news" is supposed to mean a completely made-up story presented as news. OP presented a lot of exaggerated/misleading/false claims, but they don't seem to have been completely fabricated. Still problematic, but different.

I have never heard about the coal thing and and that sounds like a lot of bunk. Used nothing but Michelin for years. However, my last set of Michelin tires were only worn about 50% and cracked terribly. They had such deep cracks in the tread that I deemed them dangerous. Since then I have gone to Continental and have never looked back.

Just so. The coal shortage isn't because of Obama getting after coal. On the contrary, coal is a main ingredient in chemtrails as it is in so many other industrial applications.

Also. Those helicopters don't get black by themselves, you know.

I've had two sets of Michelins that I can recall, both were Cross terrains. Hated the most recent set and couldn't wait to trash them. They were on my 05 Liberty when I got it in 07, got new tires in 2010, went to Nitto Terra Grapplers. The Michelin's were loud, hard riding and awful on wet roads. Actually had to use AWD in my Jeep. The Terra Grapplers that replaced them were much quieter and rode nice, plus better traction in all conditions.

Maybe I had a bum set but Michelin doesn't make a single tire today that looks interesting or worthwhile for me. I'm sure they do make great tires, probably in the high performance car realm and would look at them if I ever had that type of car. But for 4x4s, Michelin is not on my list.

Last edited:
I have friends in middle management in West Virginia coal companies: The problem they describe is lack of demand: the coal is there for the asking.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Kind of strange how Michelin is the only one who had issues since Obama "killed coal".

This.

If anything it would be the other competitors caught up (silica, low rolling resistance, etc) and Michelin having to play catch up with quality, or labor issue in one of their plants, not "Obama" or "coal".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back