Done with Discount Tires!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I ordered Nokian Hakka R2 around Thanksgiving for wife's Tiguan. She puts 5k on that car a year, maybe 2k at most during winter. I am thinking I do not care how fast tire wears out since they will make it 5 years for sure and still have enough tread.
So manager in DT says he will order directly from manufacturer so they are fresh. Great!
I get tires two weeks later, install them, as expected horrid in dry and sound that makes everyone know that car is rolling on winter tires. But whatever, as long as my wife and baby are safe if she hits slush or ice patch.
Anyway, today I am looking for DOT and tires are made 3515! I mean [censored]? That means in 2020 I will have to take it down with some 7k on them because of degradation of compound. Call DT, guy says: well, we sell them as long as they are under 3 years. So apparently DT expects you to wear out tires in two years.
Done, done with them! Good ole Costco. I was buying tires there before and I never bought tire set that was older then six weeks!

I hear you, but tires age out at 6 years in service.. not 5 years from manufacture..

and you arent in desert..

I would think for colorado use in the winter only they would last upto 10 years if stored in bags in a cool location(ie not a hot shed/garage)

Also when the tire is brand new stored in a warehouse it doesnt age as fast as it does after its put into use
Its not like it was out back of joe bob's tire shack getting rain and sun on it.

I just had a massive hassle at DTD/DT, but you know they are just people too sometimes you just have to move on and if you let it get you that upset you will stroke out early and not be there for your family.

FWIW Nokian says:
Quote:
Is there a manufacturing date on Nokian tires?

On all Nokian branded tires, a four digit code shows the year and week when the tire was manufactured. The manufacturing code has four digits, for example, the code "2106" means that the tire was manufactured in week number 21 of the year 2006. Our recommendation is that after six years in service, or ten years from the date of manufacture, a thorough inspection be performed.

So according to them you have 6 years in service or 10 years from manufacturing date before they have to be inspected.

PS you have to find someone better to replace them.. and.. around here that is a massive issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two years old isn't a problem at all. The degradation happens most in hot climates where it never gets cold enough to use winter tires. CapriRacer even said on here that properly-stored 3yo tires are just as good as fresh production.

You can use them in 2023 and not have any problems
smile.gif

I'm sure you received a boat load of rebates on the tires. Not sure what you wanted DT to do about it after the fact. If it was that important to you then that should have been mentioned BEFORE mounting the tires and preferably when they were ordered.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I hear you, but tires age out at 6 years in service.. not 5 years from manufacture..

and you arent in desert..

I would think for colorado use in the winter only they would last upto 10 years if stored in bags in a cool location(ie not a hot shed/garage)

Also when the tire is brand new stored in a warehouse it doesnt age as fast as it does after its put into use
Its not like it was out back of joe bob's tire shack getting rain and sun on it.

I just had a massive clusterF*** at DTD/DT, but you know they are just people too sometimes you just have to move on and if you let it get you that upset you will stroke out early and not be there for your family.

FWIW Nokian says:
Quote:
Is there a manufacturing date on Nokian tires?

On all Nokian branded tires, a four digit code shows the year and week when the tire was manufactured. The manufacturing code has four digits, for example, the code "2106" means that the tire was manufactured in week number 21 of the year 2006. Our recommendation is that after six years in service, or ten years from the date of manufacture, a thorough inspection be performed.

So according to them you have 6 years in service or 10 years from manufacturing date before they have to be inspected.

PS you have to find someone better to replace them.. and.. around here that is a massive issue.

A. Tire is going thru chemical process from the moment it is made.
B. Tire Rack, DT and others are professional tire shops, yet they store tires without wheels horizontally, so give me a break about how they are properly stored. DT here stores them in shipping container!
C. In some countries in Europe (mostly northern) dealer cannot sell tire older then 6 month! There is a reason for that.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I'm sure you received a boat load of rebates on the tires. Not sure what you wanted DT to do about it after the fact. If it was that important to you then that should have been mentioned BEFORE mounting the tires and preferably when they were ordered.

What that has to do with this? Nowhere they said that tire will be two years old. I do not give a [censored] about rebate. I stil paid them with $100 rebate more then Bridgestone WS80 or Michelin Xi3 or Continental, so money is not an issue.

Don't make a big deal out of it. I just received a new set of Michelin winter tires from tirerack that are even older.
Date code 0215, and I'm not worried about it. If everyone demanded fresh out of the mold tires all the time, tire prices would double!!! Winter tires age well in a cool, dark place during the summer anyway. Are they just supposed to scrap all tires only a couple months old? They usually discount older stock sometimes to move them. I'm not a discount tire fan either, but that's because they leave their service doors open all winter just to make it look like they are open, plus they love to slobber bead sealer all over near new wheels, etc.

Last edited:
Fallow up:
SO in talks with manager I definiately made conclusion that this is a last time I bought tires in DT.
So I called them guy says: OK, I will let manager know, he is on a lunch.
They are close so I go there.
Manager: I just talked to them. They are making winter tires ONLY in January.
Me: What, tires are 3515?
Manager: well you know (he brushed my comment off) they said they are sending freshest tire they have etc., but I will call them on Monday, they are closed on Saturday.
Me thinking in me: wait, he just told me he called them, they said they only make them in January, but they are 3515, now he is saying they are closed.
Bottom line: do not expect much. Will call Nokian to check, but if Nokian starts this same [censored]< never buying them again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Traction
Don't make a big deal out of it. I just received a new set of Michelin winter tires from tirerack that are even older.
Date code 0215, and I'm not worried about it. If everyone demanded fresh out of the mold tires all the time, tire prices would double!!! Winter tires age well in a cool, dark place during the summer anyway. Are they just supposed to scrap all tires only a couple months old? They usually discount older stock sometimes to move them. I'm not a discount tire fan either, but that's because they leave their service doors open all winter just to make it look like they are open, plus they love to slobber bead sealer all over near new wheels, etc.

I would not have an issue if I bought them for BMW since I rack up a lot of snow miles skiing.
On other hand on Tiguan my wife makes 2k at most in winter.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Should have been refused before installed.

Well, it was late, was pretty much last customer.
It is what it is. I buy a lot of tires (have two sets for both cars), and my coworkers always ask me for advice. So, not sending anyone anymore there.
Their loss, there are plenty other vendors, but probably going back to Costco. As mentioned, I bought number of tires from them, none was older then six weeks. The worst thing price is the same as in DT except rebate is instant and $30 less, but that is not an issue.

So what do you want them to do for you to make things right? Install some brand new, less than 6 week old tires? Wonder what they would do with the old tires. Which are perfectly fine but used now.

Plus these tires are going on a vehicle that doesn't see much use and not your primary daily driver.

You seem like the reason people go to five star restaurants and smell corks when the maitre d brings out some fancy wine.

They don't let you do this at McDonalds.

Discount Tire is more like McDonalds. It's in their name. "Discount".

Your tires are fine. Stop whining. And yeah the time to refuse them is before they mount them to your car, if you care that much.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
So what do you want them to do for you to make things right? Install some brand new, less than 6 week old tires? Wonder what they would do with the old tires. Which are perfectly fine but used now.

Plus these tires are going on a vehicle that doesn't see much use and not your primary daily driver.

It is my wife's daily driver and what difference does it make how many miles she puts on when safety is issue?
Thank good you did not say one of those intellectually insulting things like" why you need snow tires, you can do all seasons since it is not daily driver.
If I was fallowing that "logic" then I would probably by some Chinese tires and put them on Dodge Neon.

This is one more reason tires are expensive, and we all have to pay more to make everyone happy. I'm still running 14 year old Kumho ASX tires with 75% tread on my 00 BMW M roadster. Although I want to replace them, they still work great! Car doesn't see the light of day 345 days a year. I'm going to autocross them next summer to finish them off. For whatever it's worth, they have been filled with nitrogen since new.

Last edited:
And my utility trailer sat in the weather for 9 years with the same (hated) Goodyear tires with no cracks …

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You seem like the reason people go to five star restaurants and smell corks when the maitre d brings out some fancy wine.

They don't let you do this at McDonalds.

Discount Tire is more like McDonalds. It's in their name. "Discount".

Your tires are fine. Stop whining. And yeah the time to refuse them is before they mount them to your car, if you care that much.

They charge tires same like other places. How is discount then?
Fallowing your logic that would be like paying meal from 5 star restaurant in McDonalds.
My tires are fine now. But pay attention what I wrote in the beginning.
As for refusing, I am a customer and while I am first to argue "if you wanna do it right do it yourself" they also have responsibility to put NEW tire.
I spend a lot of my time in car industry, and one thing I learned is that tire degrade over time, regardless whether it is in service or not.
So, whatever they do, no I will not keep those tires on my car pass winter 2019/2020. Sorry, but I trust my experience in this field more then DT or tire companies. Again, there is a reason why some EU countries ban selling tires pass six months of date of production.

Originally Posted By: Traction
This is one more reason tires are expensive, and we all have to pay more to make everyone happy. I'm still running 14 year old Kumho ASX tires with 75% tread on my 00 BMW M roadster. Although I want to replace them, they still work great! Car doesn't see the light of day 345 days a year. I'm going to autocross them next summer to finish them off. For whatever it's worth, they have been filled with nitrogen since new.

So I guess you drive in that car your 16 month old baby every day, right?

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Should have been refused before installed.

Good point. I always look at the date on the tires before local DT installs them, ordered or in stock. Once asked and a manager told me up to ~6 months ok. Mine have generally been in the ~3-4 month range. TR says six to nine months from factory not unusual and most shipped out
Given the OP has apparently had similar experience with local DT store in the past as posted/noted HERE, surprised still using DT. Or if purchased there, at least making sure of tire manufacture date is personally acceptable prior to installation.

I was at DT today replacing another early death set of BFG’s with CCC’s … don’t think I spotted a single employee over 35 … inside or in the service bay …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back