Pennzoil Platinum additive fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never had that happen to me, but I routinely "shake" any bottle/jug of oil before I pour it into my car.......that being said, I have 4 Jugs of PUP and 2 Jugs of PPHM sitting in my basement and when I prepare it for use, I will check for that fallout as seen in the Video.

I've had it before with PP, and there's been postings of other brands with similar here before. One posted HERE

No biggie, same advice as in the linked thread. Shake, shake, shake and pour.

Not uncommon at all. IIRC, it states to shake well right on the bottle.

I have for years as this is also an old/rehashed story.

I buy a ton of Amsoil every year when they have free-shipping or sales and so it sits for quite a while in my stash in the basement. I never see fallout like this.

I have seen this in M1 when I was using that oil. My point is that I think it depends on the additives a particular oil company is using but it's harmless from what I can see and from the UOA's I have on the M1 where there was fallout seen in the jug prior.

All you gotta do is shake the bottle up before pouring the oil in; otherwise you're going to miss out on all the additives. It's kinda like the peanut oil separating from the peanut butter.
grin.gif

I have seen this in amsoil, Pennzoil, QS and M1.
When seen in a clear bottle it takes many minutes of shaking to get rid of the fallout... not just a quick flip over and back
When using a couple year old oil from the stash I put it in the trunk for a week and drive around

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: car51
A friend sent me this video. Didn’t know if this happened to anyone using PP

Kinda odd I think, but I hope the PP 5w20 I bought doesn’t have this problem

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=glarlvN73rA
Years ago GM sent out a memo or TSB asking dealers to stop using bulk oil due to additive fallout. Not sure if the same concern applies to today's formulations or not, but I agitate oil daily two days before an oil change, and the day I change it. Piece of mind I guess.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
All you gotta do is shake the bottle up before pouring the oil in; otherwise you're going to miss out on all the additives. It's kinda like the peanut oil separating from the peanut butter.
grin.gif

Or like when the sugar settles at the very bottom of your glass of iced tea
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I buy a ton of Amsoil every year when they have free-shipping or sales and so it sits for quite a while in my stash in the basement. I never see fallout like this.

I have seen this in M1 when I was using that oil. My point is that I think it depends on the additives a particular oil company is using but it's harmless from what I can see and from the UOA's I have on the M1 where there was fallout seen in the jug prior.

I've seen it in every oil brand I've stashed over the years including Amsoil. I think what it boils down to is just how long you stash oil. As you and others have mentioned it is harmless. I also have a habit of shaking bottles and jugs of oil, a carryover from having paint shaken at the paint store, even if it just came off the back of the truck.
wink.gif

It is winter time. This happens every winter. Every winter these threads pop up. As oil gets distributed it gets exposed to the cold. Fallout occurs. Some brands are more noticeable than others.

Till next year when the same question is posted again.

I have seen people recomending waiting a certain period of time after shaking the bottle before adding to the vehicle. Im guessing to let suspended bubbles dissipate?

Is this really a concern? Or can I shake the [censored] out of the bottle and pour away. I can't see air affecting the volume of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back