"Repairing" headlight lens oxidation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the only thing cosmetically wrong with my Accord,that typical plastic headlight issue. Is there a way I can either "get rid of",polish out,or blend in this,to make the whole headlight look better? I saw a youtube video where a guy uses Turtle Wax polishing compound. Here's the video. He uses a little comedy saying he used shaving cream at first haha.

Here's what my headlights look like. The "problem" area is at the very top of the headlights. I remember my 3000GT headlights did this very same thing. I always just coated them with Armor All and it'd make it temporarily disappear,but I want a more permanent repair without replacing the lenses. I REALLY wish car manufacturers would go back glass!!

I used the Meguiar's kit.

Took 15 minutes per side and the results speak for themselves.

I don't have a before photo but they were worse than yours.

Once you clean them then you have to retreat them. I used a 3M kit this summer on my baddy oxidized 2008 headlights. It was a two grit then liquid polish with a sanding pad. A lot of work but it did the job.

I then used some clear coat special for UV protection. It left a slight yellow cast to the lens.

I was told it is the wax at the drive-through car wash that wipes out headlight covers. I tried several methods to clean mine.None really worked.Buying new covers on ebay was my easy fix.

I wax mine monthly and never have this problem, but is to be expected when people neglect their cars and don.t maintain them.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
I wax mine monthly and never have this problem, but is to be expected when people neglect their cars and don.t maintain them.
lol.gif

How do you wax when its 30f out?
grin2.gif

oh wait you dont have to worry about that or the millions of tons of rock salt spread on roads yearly.

If I lived in california I might wax monthly too.... oh wait I own a JEEP
smile.gif

I've used the 3M kit with good success. But you have to be careful using the sanding/polishing discs that you don't nick your paint finish. All in all I think the Meguiar's product is as good and cheaper. And a good coat of wax on the lenses as a last step supposedly makes it last longer.

I talked to a body shop about my grandparents headlights, they said they can sand the haze down and spray them with clear coat for $50 a light. Might do that one day.

Just an option for when the headlight cleanup kits don’t last. They’ll help but the haze comes back.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I talked to a body shop about my grandparents headlights, they said they can sand the haze down and spray them with clear coat for $50 a light. Might do that one day.

Just an option for when the headlight cleanup kits don’t last. They’ll help but the haze comes back.

Here is $12.50 per headlight:

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/aos/d/mobile-headlight-restoration/6391773093.html

Then you can spray them with clear afterwards.

That sounds like more of a permanant solution. If the bumper cover didn't have to be removed,I'd replaced the lenses.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
lol.gif

Trust me,if I'd bought this car new,they'd still be in mint condition,I'd never let my headlights oxidize. My first 3000GT I bought when it was "almost" new,so I was able to keep them mint. The 2nd one I had was a little older and it's headlights were already beginning to oxidize.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Wet sand with 800 > 1500 > 2000 Then use a buffer with polishing compound...Like new and cost is nil

Don't stop there, apply something to protect them or they will look terrible again very soon. Even Meguiars sells a headlight coating now that seems like a clear coat. I used it last June so we'll see how it holds up. I applied Plasti-X before that and thought it did a nice job esp without any sanding.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Wet sand with 800 > 1500 > 2000 Then use a buffer with polishing compound...Like new and cost is nil

Don't stop there, apply something to protect them or they will look terrible again very soon. Even Meguiars sells a headlight coating now that seems like a clear coat. I used it last June so we'll see how it holds up. I applied Plasti-X before that and thought it did a nice job esp without any sanding.

That's something new to me. Thanks for sharing.
$8 in USA, $30 in Canada...I think I'll get some if I cross the border.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Here is $12.50 per headlight:

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/aos/d/mobile-headlight-restoration/6391773093.html

Then you can spray them with clear afterwards.
I had a mobile retailer come out last year and he just buffed out the headlights. They looked decent for about a month.

I've used Rustoleum clear coat on wheels before and it's textured. Not smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back