No filtration at all experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone had a car that had a canister oil filter it would be interesting to see what kind of results you would see on a UOA if you ran an OCI with no filter at all. Basically you would have the oil pickup screen which was similar to many a Aircooled Vws "oil filter".

I would actually be open to trying this on my XB if I can figure out a way to run a "Blank" filter. I guess I have figured out a way, but I am looking for cheap or free.

I know you can basically run a filter that's in bypass all the time for the same effect, but I am looking for results of clean oil in a "clean" engine.

Anyone with a canister filter car game for an experiment? I would make sure you can indeed run without the canister filter on you engine.

Anyone with a suggestion how I can run a "blank" on my car cheaply?

No need for this experiment its obviously going to have more wear.. but there is no way to tell how much more. unless you did it for say 30000miles and had before and after teardown information.

Any car from the 50's with a separate (bypass style) cannister filter would be an easy candidate.

I believe that Bob, The Oil Guy, actually did this test about 15 years ago. It was fine.

Early VW flat fours didn't have filters either.

The question is if people assume that an engine makes lots of particles big enough to do damage. A solvent backwash and re-filter of filter trapped particles might be telling.

All those VW bugs with no oil filters also got rebuilt very often, don't forget that part. I'be seen a couple of those flat-fours during a rebuild, not a pretty sight. Just run an oil filter with lowest filtration efficiency. Usually less efficiency equals more flow, and vice versa.

P.S. Wix Pro-tec oil filters come to mind. (Don'the quote me on that, but I believe the part number for our XB2 is 154MP.)

Would you gain or lose oil pressure without a filter?
27.gif

Use a spin-on filter that has the kind of dome-end bypass valve that's clearly visible through the threaded hole. Reach in with long-nose pliers (or whatever's easier), and rip out the bypass valve assembly, leaving an open hole. Easy! However, a tiny fraction of the oil would still go through the media, so a random particle might end up trapped on its 100th trip through the system.

I've heard of shops (a dealer, in fact) forgetting to put the new cartridge filter in after removing the old one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
Usually less efficiency equals more flow, and vice versa.

Only when the pump is in pressure relief, which is typically never. A more restrictive filter will make the pump hit pressure relief easier, so that's why people want to run less restrictive filters. But if you don't hammer the engine until the oil is fully warmed up, any filter will flow just as much as the next because the pump typically will never hit pressure relief unless you're running some high volume aftermarket oil pump or oil that is way too thick for what the engine is specified to use.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Why ... A filter is cheap, motors not so much. Why would you do this if you did not have to ...

Because you're a... fool. I could do this easily on my old BMW but i'm not a fool.

But I only have three acres so maybe I just don't get it.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Why ... A filter is cheap, motors not so much. Why would you do this if you did not have to ...

Because you're a... fool. I could do this easily on my old BMW but i'm not a fool.

But I only have three acres so maybe I just don't get it.

Its not about being cheap, Its about gathering information. A UOA is easily 30 dollars so I would actually be spending more money. I am curious to see what benefits a filter truly offers.

I am from the school of thought that you can easily run the right filter 15 to 20k miles on a properly maintained car. Easily 2 OCI.

I think filters are overrated to a certain extent. I am not saying they do not offer great benefit or you should run without a filter all the time.

I am sure someplace, somewhere, someone has left the filter out of vehicle that has a cartridge oil filter and I bet the engine was just fine for 1 interval.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
All those VW bugs with no oil filters also got rebuilt very often, don't forget that part. I'be seen a couple of those flat-fours during a rebuild, not a pretty sight. Just run an oil filter with lowest filtration efficiency. Usually less efficiency equals more flow, and vice versa.

P.S. Wix Pro-tec oil filters come to mind. (Don'the quote me on that, but I believe the part number for our XB2 is 154MP.)

Yep … when they were common on the roads … even small towns had VW shops with shelves full of new jugs and other parts …

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
I think filters are overrated to a certain extent. I am not saying they do not offer great benefit or you should run without a filter all the time.

I am sure someplace, somewhere, someone has left the filter out of vehicle that has a cartridge oil filter and I bet the engine was just fine for 1 interval.

Engines have to be damaged/worn pretty extensively for someone to notice a change in performance. It took 80K~100K miles to wear out the old VW Bugs that only has the screen for an oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back