Should I be concerned with these cracks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 2016 Nissan Rogue has what I feel to be some concerning cracks on the tread. They are at about 6.5/32 and are Dunlop Grandtrek ST30 that are OEM with 25,000 miles on them. Found the cracks when I was rotating the tires. DOT date is 2915. This is my wife’s car, want to ensure she is safe. Should I get these replaced? All 4 look just like this one. Treadwear is even, tires still are good and quiet. TireRack has some really good sales so interested in the opinions. Thank you!

Cracks are pretty minor. Are you sure you're at 6/32? You're measuring the SHALLOWEST part, right?

I'm 6.5 in the center. Looking at the picture, the shoulder doesn't look real great tread wise

I wouldn't worry about those cracks.Tread depth for the winter.that is what I would be concerned about.

Dry rot, planned obsolescence my friend. Tires in New Mexico dry rot rather quickly. After ten years, most tire companies refuse to rotate or balance tires. I learned the hard way.

One of my Professor's (Nicholas Clayton a brilliant Chemist) worked on the Manhattan Project. He stated that they inadvertently discovered a synthetic rubber that could outlast our lifetime. You would never need to buy new tires for your car again, i.e., lifetime. An oil company bought the patent and put it in a closet.

That is the beginning of dry rot. You will be fine. Just closely monitor it and plan on buying new tires. Pending how much you drive and weather conditions. *Also, different brands have different hard/soft rubber.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Shoulder looks worn down. I wouldn't be surprised if that was only 2/32-3/32" left in the shoulder. That tire has been under-inflated or left in the front position for too long.

I’ve maintained the car meticulously since we plan on keeping it for a while. Based on tirerack reviews on this tire, others get 25,000 miles out of them. Measured the shoulder and it’s 3/32. Ordered a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4 for $484
Shipped with a $70 rebate. I’m happy with that purchase....tires were on close out at a steep discount, they will be here Tuesday.

As always, I appreciate the input here! The tire shops would tell me I need new tires if I drove in there with brand new ones installed!

Wouldnt worry about those cracks.. minor

The tread as mentioned might be low for a good winter experience.

Congrats on new tires.

Originally Posted By: Pajero
the hard way.One of my Professor's (Nicholas Clayton a brilliant Chemist) worked on the Manhattan Project. He stated that they inadvertently discovered a synthetic rubber that could outlast our lifetime. You would never need to buy new tires for your car again, i.e., lifetime. An oil company bought the patent and put it in a closet.

Mr. Clayton told you a tall tale. Any patent from the 40s would have long since expired. Let’s find that formula and get to making super tires! Surely he kept it written down somewhere. This sounds a lot like the secret cancer cure, 100 mpg carb, and the free energy machines that pop up here occasionally. They all follow the same formula: Heres the one secret that Big [industry] doesn’t want you to know!

Tires work because of friction between the rubber and pavement. A longer-lasting material of any variety would compromise traction. There’s a balance; the tires with 80,000 mile warranties are pretty awful when it comes to performance.

On to the tires: I had similar cracks on a set of BFG tires that came stock on my 2008 Tacoma. I sent photos to the manufacturer, and received replacements under the pro-rated warranty.

It wouldn’t hurt to do the same. You might get new tires out of it.

That is what seems to happen to cheaper tires to me on a regular basis-the Hankooks on my xB have those tread cracks, and I had to retire a full set of Mastercraft Courser A/Ts on the Ram in my sig because of those cracks. The problem is not isolated to the Southwest, it's everywhere.

So those tires are getting near the end. No done yet, but getting there...

The issue with tread area cracking is will they let water into the belts? If they do, they can come apart pretty easily. If they stay dry - no biggee. I've had terrible luck with Michelin's cracking before they wore out. Once it starts, they are getting iffy. So no more Michelin's for me.

Toyo and Yokahama have been real good about not ozone or UV cracking. I've recently gone pretty much all Kenda as they worked great on desert bikes and ATV's w/o cracking, so they were on my Saab (sold), and are now on my F-150. Just could not justify the cost of the two brands I know are long lived.

Bridgestone are somewhere in the middle between Toyo and Michelin ... Goodyear are good with truck tires, but their SUV stuff just does not hold up to rocks at all. Big O used to be the way to go if off-roading in the desert because they were replaced w/o question when they got cut. But no more...

So you have to buy your tires based on use criteria. For motor homes that sit and sit, you need Toyo or equal. Otherwise you be buying tires while yours look good, but blow going down the highway. For trucks, it's a bit different depending on Ply rating ...

Cars, vans, and SUV's need what matches their annual mileage, road type (paved, gravel, dirt, etc.) and weather expected. If you have real winters, you have another issue to deal with ...

Me, I'd run those tires down some more. But, I'd carry a can of Slime in the trunk and decent tire pressure gauge. I'd be checking them at least weekly. IL will throw weather at you, and any water in the belt zone with a freezing night might be the end of a tire ...

Last edited:
You can apply some Tire Strengthener to the tires.

https://www.duragloss.com/Track-Claw-Racing-Products/Track-Claw-Tire-Strengthener-(Gallon)

Not uncommon at all, most any tire over a year old will have little micro cracks like that. tire rack's website warns of using tire dressings that make tires shiny as these products tend to remove natural oils that protect the rubber and slow cracking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back