EU is trying to ban Diesel and petrol cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
EU is trying to ban diesel and petrol cars in the near future .Do you guys think oil corporations will let it happen?

With battery and electricity generation technology moving at the rate it is why not? The electric motor has it all over internal combustion engines in every way.
I remember the days when many American car buyers wouldn't buy anything with less than 350 CI and declared anything with 4 or 6 cyl as gutless wonders, that changed in a very short time.

Once consumers get use to instant acceleration, no pollution from a tail pipe, no noise, no vibration, an ultra quiet cabin no OCI and other common maintenance items they will quickly abandon the internal combustion engine. As long as the range is good and recharge times are short I for one am all in.

True! Unfortunately the U.S. has 99 nuclear reactors in 30 states. I could be mistaken, but nuclear reactors will recharge the engines. Not sure if that's good or bad. We definitely need more alternative sources of energy. I live in New Mexico. Waste Isolation Power Plant (WIPP) in Carlsbad, NM They store the spent fuel from nuclear material in the salt mines. There has already been one leak. Don't mean to get off topic.

WIPP

Fossil fuels are limited and antiquated. So is the combustion engine...........

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Government telling people what to do in Europe. Imagine that.the whole thinking about electric cars.The batteries need to be charged by? The electric grid is already overloaded.I have driven different generation Prius.They are fine for a small car.Roomy and are very reliable.The batteries don't work as good in the winter.

Originally Posted By: Trav
With battery and electricity generation technology moving at the rate it is why not? The electric motor has it all over internal combustion engines in every way.
I remember the days when many American car buyers wouldn't buy anything with less than 350 CI and declared anything with 4 or 6 cyl as gutless wonders, that changed in a very short time.

Once consumers get use to instant acceleration, no pollution from a tail pipe, no noise, no vibration, an ultra quiet cabin no OCI and other common maintenance items they will quickly abandon the internal combustion engine. As long as the range is good and recharge times are short I for one am all in.

Recent article placed annual Tesla maintenance at $2000. Probably would be lower for a mass produced EV.
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/12/analyst-claims-it-costs-over-2000-year.html

The big watch-out is that our electrical grid cannot handle mass vehicle charging.
Oil filed development, refineries, pipelines, fuel stations were funded by drivers paying cost of fuel, which funded the infrastructure builds. The public contribution was allowed fuel companies to deduct expenses against their income, just like any other corporation.

Electrical grid is a whole other problem. I can see the government having to step in, but with public and consumer finances being in terrible shape, I don't see the finance part.
Unless the gov't puts their thumb on the free market scale, which is entirely possible.

Note: I am also assuming battery technology will improve to the point it is close to gasoline in convenience and pricing when used in an auto environment. Admittedly a big assumption.

Well first they gonna rise the taxes and force people to buy [censored] EV cars. Then evrybody who drives ev most have a gps sending unit and pay for evry km they drive.
Against human rights! Well they plan this for the future 2025-2040. HOPE THEY FAIL.
And this is thanks to VW dieselgate. And yes they should ban EU.

I really enjoy driving my wife's i3, but I don't think EVs will really catch on in the US until they have a range of at least 300 miles, a charging time of under 15 minutes, and a sufficient charging infrastructure to support them.

Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
EU is trying to ban diesel and petrol cars in the near future .Do you guys think oil corporations will let it happen?

Yep they don't care their will be public transportation and they'll just double or triple the cost of their products.

Originally Posted By: Pajero
True! Unfortunately the U.S. has 99 nuclear reactors in 30 states. I could be mistaken, but nuclear reactors will recharge the engines. Not sure if that's good or bad. We definitely need more alternative sources of energy. I live in New Mexico. Waste Isolation Power Plant (WIPP) in Carlsbad, NM They store the spent fuel from nuclear material in the salt mines. There has already been one leak. Don't mean to get off topic.

WIPP

Fossil fuels are limited and antiquated. So is the combustion engine...........

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Don't get me wrong I will probably never see it in my lifetime and with the third world infrastructure in many places its doubtful they could implement a wide scale grid reliable enough in the next 100 years but the writing is on the wall.
I agree with the argument that right now its just moving pollution from one place to another and the grid cant handle it but that wont always be the case.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I really enjoy driving my wife's i3, but I don't think EVs will really catch on in the US until they have a range of at least 300 miles, a charging time of under 15 minutes, and a sufficient charging infrastructure to support them.

An alternate approach is to have a rapid battery swap as part of the EV design; mfg would be smart to standardize form factor to aid in adoption; pull into a station and swap it out; A lot like propane cylinders

Originally Posted By: MCompact

In other words, it ain't gonna happen without even more massive government intervention in the market.

Take away the current government subsidies and EV sales evaporate overnight.

As long as the range is good and recharge times are short I for one am all in.

Of course, but unfortunately they're not so we're back full circle.
The thing with electric vehicles is they'd be the best idea, if serious development started on energy storage solutions and distribution 70 years ago. As it stands now, the hype and misguided "want" just distract people from basic, glaring downsides that we generally haven't thought much about yet. First of all, the electricity sector is very politically corrupt. Secondly, the grid is already allegedly 'over taxed', whether this is actually true or just supporting fodder for political and economic moves is still unclear. 95% of our motoring fuel comes from chemicals in the ground, the grid hasn't even begun to notice the EV load on it yet, it's already struggling to meet peak demands. What do the EV hype-people think is going to happen if, tomorrow, "the ICE dies out like the antiquated dinosaur it is" and all motorists suddenly need to suckle big amps off an already dodgy grid? Think about it, that's an enormous amount of chemical energy demand migrating over to a network of wire conductors.. where transmission/transforming inefficiencies WILL ONLY INCREASE with the massive increase in demand. We can ration, moderate and pre-meditate charging schemes but that doesn't change the fact that every single amp demanded still needs to reach it's destination. EV hypesters (and EU politicians) would never think about battery chemistry, charging losses, transmission losses, they'd rather freak out about plant-fertilizer emissions from Volkswagens, because of the sensational news they're fed.

Next there are the vehicles themselves. Battery energy density is [censored], absolute [censored] compared to petrochemicals- EVs are always much heavier relative to an equivalent ICE powered unit. Batteries aren't made from tofu and recycled paper either...... and of course the vehicles will need to operate in high and low temperature conditions. Air conditioning and heat derived from motor pumps and resistive elements in EV vehicles just destroys an already paltry range, and less range means more recharging, and recharging takes a stupid amount of time. ICE (combined cycle) efficiency only increases in frigid climates where a good portion of the 'unproductive' heat is simply diverted to the cabin, and refuelling takes a couple of minutes rather that hanging around for half-hour at least to obtain enough range for the return trip. Also, your EV becomes either a short term back-up electric supply or a paper-weight during extended power outages, which should only logically increase if grid demand is too high.

"He may be rolling in a 0-60-in-3-seconds, 100K Tesla EV, but he's still colder than I am in the winter." is my immediate rationale right now. It's easy to cling to perfect ideologies when one pushes the practical problems just out of the realm of one's cognition..

Well said! And thanks for your comment
smile.gif

Chevy Volt type vehicles? Yes. As battery tech gets better and cheaper, the volt will get a longer and longer EV range. At some point that will jive with necessary pollution-based keep out zones, and I suspect things will be "good enough".

Remember, long-distance over the road travel exists in the modernized old world, in the modernized new world, and in the third world. There's no practical way that even moving to a metal anode or a two electron reaction in a battery will get there compared to IC. And to make EVs practical the world over, it means a lot more infrastructure than something like the I-5 and I-95 corridor or a major highway system in Europe...

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
As long as the range is good and recharge times are short I for one am all in.

Of course, but unfortunately they're not so we're back full circle.

Not quite, things are changing quickly. The rest of your post IMO is just typical nothing will replace the horse and cart stuff from more than 100 years ago.
As I posted I cant see it happening in my lifetime. Right now EV's have limited use but it wont always be that way. IMO this is technology we need to invest in heavily so the US is a leader not just a end user of the technology where everyone is driving some little Chicom or Japanese EV.

Originally Posted By: Killer223
soon enough they are going to outlaw human driving cars anyhow.
until we humans revolt.

That would be because a majority of drivers can't be bothered with putting their phone down long enough to drive. It's bad out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back