Reliable source for Ranger T Series ammo???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is "Law Enforcement" ammo, but where can us civilians get our hands on it reliably? I am specifically looking for 45acp 230gr standard pressure stuff.

The ranger t series is a little harder to find compared to the other law enforcement, duty grade ammo out there. Target sports usa almost always has the full winchester ranger series of ammo in stock and for a very good price but they are out of stock on most 45 acp right now. They do have it in the other popular calibers though.

Here is 45:
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/45-acp-auto-ammo-c-70.aspx#Ma37|

Here is some 9mm, instock:
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/winchest...a9b-p-3650.aspx

All that being said, the 45 acp winchester ranger is our issued carry load at work. We get a great price on it and it has always been reilable but there are plenty of other good, LE grade loads out there.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#45ACP

All of the LEO's I know use Cor-Bon, so that's what I use.

Have you tried Ranger SXT? I think it shoots well.

SG Ammo Winchester Ranger T .45 ACP

Out of stock at the moment - but sign up for notifications, they're great folks at SG Ammo - excellent prices, quick shipping, and tend to have a great selection.

I should add that I've got a case (1,000 rounds) of Speer Gold Dot 230gr in .45 ACP and a case of Federal HST 124gr in 9mm from these guys...you might consider the Gold Dot in the interim.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Thank you all. HST is my very close second choice in 45acp. I was a Gold Dot guy for years, but if I rock Gold Dot bullets now it is in Underwood ammo.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Ranger T series uses the SXT bullet design.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

Yes its basically a Black Talon that isn't black!

Thank you all. HST is my very close second choice in 45acp. I was a Gold Dot guy for years, but if I rock Gold Dot bullets now it is in Underwood ammo.

Hard to beat HST in 9mm, 40, 357sig, or 45acp. A lot will perform as well but pretty darn impossible to PROVE any better.

That is precisely correct!

John.
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

That's pretty much it in a nut shell. "Ranger" is nothing more than politically correct "Black Talon". Yeah, they've improved the design and performance somewhat. Or so some will argue. But I can't imagine equal wounds in equal people where there would be enough difference to measure or matter. "Black Talon's" only problem is it isn't new enough to make the, "Bullet Of The Month" club any longer.

Serious question - Why are you wanting that particular ammo when Gold Dot and HST perform just as well, for all practical purposes, and you don't have to jump through any hoops to get it?

Ranger T has been getting harder to find. Probably because the military is now buying a version of it by the tens of millions as the new enhanced performance 9MM ammo.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Ranger T has been getting harder to find. Probably because the military is now buying a version of it by the tens of millions as the new enhanced performance 9MM ammo.

The US Millitary using a HP expanding round for combat? Or are they just practicing with them?

Originally Posted By: Balrog006
The US Millitary using a HP expanding round for combat? Or are they just practicing with them?

The Hague convention, which the US never signed, but agrees to abide by, doesn't allow expanding ammo between other Hague nation states. So if we go to war with a nation state, the US military will load ball ammo in the 9MM pistols. For the past almost 20 years, we have been at war with terrorist, who are not nation state soldiers. They are terrorist. We have decided that they do not fall under the Hague guidelines, therefor the US military is now, or soon will be issuing hollow point ammo in 9MM to combat terrorist or insurgents. That's how I understand it at least. Its pretty unlikely that we would go to war with a NATO, Hague, Geneva, or other nation state, so the hollowpoint makes sense.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/...ster-ausa-2017/

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Serious question - Why are you wanting that particular ammo when Gold Dot and HST perform just as well, for all practical purposes, and you don't have to jump through any hoops to get it?

I have seen lots of Gold Dots failing to expand in recent tests.Also they tend to not expand as much as the HST or the Ranger. The HST is my second choice, and if I couldn't find Ranger T's, I would get some. I used to be a Gold Dot guy in some calibers, but started shifting away from them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: john_pifer

I have seen lots of Gold Dots failing to expand in recent tests.Also they tend to not expand as much as the HST or the Ranger. The HST is my second choice, and if I couldn't find Ranger T's, I would get some. I used to be a Gold Dot guy in some calibers, but started shifting away from them.

That's why you keep a stash just like you do with oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back