Gift cards for Christmas presents... Yes, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gift cards seem to be popular these days. It is often what people/older kids want. While I don't really like giving them and it takes the fun out of it for me, I will give some.

If their parents approve its a great way for preteens who lack credit cards to shop online or buy game credits, emojis, or rock and rolls.

Gift Cards are for friends and colleagues. For non close family members who in fact do exchange gifts, a Greeting Card & money is appropriate. And for close family members who do exchange gifts then, a gift from the heart is alway nice.

You may just as well give them hard, cold cash. Why limit their purchases with a gift card?
For some reason, though, giving cash might seem a little tacky where a gift card does not.
I think the laws have changed, but we've received gift cards that had expired a few months later. What a way for a merchant to make a profit.....
I give my kids cash at Christmas because they are in their late-teens to early 20s and that's what they request.

Depends a lot on the person!
My daughter loves to get gift cars for Dunks, Stabbucks, and makeup. I think she would be pretty sad if she didn't get any "real" wrapped presents, though.
My wife has a hard time making the decision to actually use the gift cards and I think it took it two years to use one for Amazon (I'm sure she was watching the expiration date closely, if there was one). It's a lot better to just give her something directly.
I don't care for receiving them. My dad had his own version of the gift card, he'd just tell me to buy something I wanted and he'd pay me back for it...this is how I ended up with a really nice Easton catcher's mitt with an integrated thumbguard and an A2000 middle infielder's glove (even though I never played SS or 2B). The mitt got beat into pulp playing adult baseball and then from catching my daughter at lessons, practices, and warmups, and I finally had to go and buy myself the largest fastpitch catcher's mitt I could find...the A2000 still looks pretty new.

Gift cards are LAME LAME LAME.

Why limit their purchase decision to one store? At a minimum, give them cash. Every year I receive useless gift cards. For instance, one person gave me a gift-card to a wine store. I dont drink alcohol, wine, or liquor. I was raised by an alcoholic stepdad and my dad was killed by a drunk driver. I HATE alcohol and everything to do with alcohol. Utterly useless, terrible gift. And in my case, actually insulting. Might as well have given me a gift card to a store that sells prosthetic limbs.

So, NO, do not give gift cards to people. You might think its a decent gift. The receiver might think its terrible. What is wrong with cash?

If you get a Bass Pro card I’ll take it.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
What is wrong with cash?

Kind of tacky since all you're doing is reaching into your wallet. While a gift card takes a similar amount of effort to get as a regular gift but allows the recipient to choose exactly what they would like.

In your case, usually a liquor store sells more than just alcohol. They should have snacks, beef jerky, magazines, peanuts etc.... Not the best gift but I would give it to someone who drinks or buy some snacks. At least put it to use.

I am not much of a fan to give a gift card to family members or close friends but some people are very hard to buy for. When I ask for ideas they ask for a gift card anyways.

Horrible.

Either get something that you know they want or give cash.

Even cash I hate because it directly implies "you're worth x".

Consumables are good. Experiences especially together, and meals for socializing are good.

Gift cards are simple....too simple. They kind of show a lack of effort. But....that seems to be all many people want. They can just go to the store and grab what they want.
Ah....the JOY of Christmas. So touching, ain't it?

So if you take the time to go to a store to choose a gift and it's not what they want,they will want to exchange it for what they do want. All you did was waste your time and effort. Anyone can go online to find out what something costs, so your not being stealthy by giving an actual gift.,,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
So if you take the time to go to a store to choose a gift and it's not what they want,they will want to exchange it for what they do want. All you did was waste your time and effort. Anyone can go online to find out what something costs, so your not being stealthy by giving an actual gift.,,,

Stealthy? No. But giving something from the heart? I think so. At least with those very close to you, choosing a real gift instead of a card shows that you cared enough about that person to take the time it requires.

I concur. Been using gift cards for years. They are great for college kids. Fuel gift cards are a great idea! Everyone needs it.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back