What is non-detergent oil for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Lawnmower engines sometimes require [still] non detergent oil.
I never understood why...
2-cycle mowers demanded it, even issuing a warning label to use only non-detergent SAE 30. Our Huffy mower, which used the same engine as Montgomery Ward's small ouitboard boat engines, was religiously fed it and never broke down.
Supposedly, the detergents bind impurities for delivering them to the filter. But, what advantage would that have for non-pressure lubrication?
[font:Verdana][/font]

My Karcher pressure washer specifies non detergent for the pump. My understanding is that detergent motor oils cause everything to be constantly suspended and circulated in the oil. Non detergent allows contaminants and esp. moisture in my case to separate out from the oil and supposedly not in constant contact with pump parts.

There are certain types of brass and bronze that get eaten-up by detergent oils. Many older engines had lots of brass and bronze bushings that could not tolerate the newer detergents.

Non-detergent oils are suitable for use in certain hydraulic applications where an ISO viscosity grade (VG) 100 fluid is warranted, straight cut reduction gear applications where bearing protection is crucial, and other applications requiring an API Service SA fluid. Category SA denotes service typical of older engines operated under such mild conditions that the protection afforded by compounded oils is not required. This category has no performance requirements, and oils in this category should not be used in any engine unless specifically recommended by the equipment manufacturer.

Originally Posted by RayCJ
There are certain types of brass and bronze that get eaten-up by detergent oils. Many older engines had lots of brass and bronze bushings that could not tolerate the newer detergents.

Not so.

1) ND oils only have one additive component and that is an anti-foam agent.

2) When we speak of the DI additive package in Modern engine oils, the DI package actually contains detergents, dispersants, rust-Inhibitors, metal -Inhibitors, and Anti-Wear additives.

It is the metal inhibitors and the detergents in a DI package that keeps metals from being attacked.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
so what happens when detergent oil is used in an air compressor that requires ND oil?

I used various synthetic 5W-30 motor oils and it seemed to do OK. I did try and use some older 5W-50 synthetic motor oil I had left over and boy did the motor get real hot. I changed it quickly needless to say
grin2.gif
. I'm back to running the recommended 20 weight non detergent oil and it runs real well. I just got a quart of 20 weight Amsoil synthetic compressor oil so I should be set for a while .
grin.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back