Pennzoil Euro L no longer VW Approved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in 2014ish, when I had a TDI, I used Euro L. It was 504/507 approved, so perfect. As I look for a moderately priced, low SAP, decent NOACK oil, I thought that maybe this would be a good choice.

Then...realized NO VW approvals. Zero. Any news I missed? Looks like the only Pennzoil Approved, lower SAP oils are AV. AV doesn’t look too impressive on paper, so I am shying away

Interesting that L carries the LL-04 rating, as well as MB 229.31 and 229.51. I thought these specs were more stringent that VW specs.

Perhaps Pennzoil just didn’t want pay for certification due to TDIs no longer being produced?

Would love to use this, and feel pretty confident doing so, but wanted to see if anyone had any color on this.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81

Perhaps Pennzoil just didn’t want pay for certification due to TDIs no longer being produced?

This would make sense. It's probably been reformulated.

Or 504/507 changed and it no longer passes, like what happened with M1 0W-40 and LL-01. But I don't think VW reuses a spec numbers when they change the specifications, the way BMW does. So it's probably what you stated above.

Last edited:
I'm convinced what is contained in the add pack for VW 504/507 oils will not show up in a UOA or VOA.
However, quattro Pete once said something about an engineer telling him low-saps oils barely make spec while
full-saps oils can far exceed the specified wear requirements such as a VW 502 oil.

VW 504.00/507.00 has most stringent wear requirement for 0/5W30 oils.
MB229.51 and LL-04 are more stringent in deposit/NOACK/oxidation requirements.

Penn Euro formulations are A3/B3 in all grades (0w-40, 5w-30, 5w-40) and that's fine.

Where is gets confusing is the Euro "x" formulations.

Euro L 5w30 is Dexos2 but has no VW approvals.
Euro LX 0w30 is VW 504/507 but no Dexos 2
Euro AV 5w-30 is VW 502.00/505.01/505.00

I am perplexed as why Penn can't/won't make their Euro L 5w30 both Dexos2 AND VW 504/507. Mobil1 does it with their ESP 5w30 formulation.

My Passat calls for 507.00, my Li'l Durmax Dexos2. I can use M1 ESP in both but it's harder to come by, but Euro L at WalMart (and it's cheap) only has one approval.

OEM approvals. A nightmare.

Originally Posted By: sohccammer427
Penn Euro formulations are A3/B3 in all grades (0w-40, 5w-30, 5w-40) and that's fine.

The 5w-30 A3/B4 is a phantom product. But yes, the C3 type line is confusing.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

The 5w-30 A3/B4 is a phantom product.

In the US, it does exist...

http://a.co/irA9lJg

But the price is almost twice as what we pay for Edge 0w-40 here.

VW 504/507 oils almost by default meet A3/B3/B4, despite the fact that many don't list that spec. All VW oils must have a HTHS of >3.5. This is one example available in Aus. Pennzoil Euro LX (Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 in other markets,) is a great (though expensive) oil. Been using that along with Helix Ultra ECT C3 (Dexos2) (Pennzoil Euro L in the US) in my Saab 9-5 for the last few years and have been having great economy and cleanliness. jsut keeping a stock when they go on sale as +$80 in Aus for 5-Litres
crazy.gif

Also Dexos2 requires a HTHS of >3.5, which is why it's often recomended for GM cars (by the dealer) if you plan on taking them to the track, as they don't thin out as much as Dexos1 (CAFE) oils whcih must be >2.9? HTHS.

Regards
Jordan

Odd yes, but if the oil meets all the other requirements of A3/B4 and can do so with a lower SAPS count, then I guess that's why they market it?

In Aus Valvoline also lists A3/B4 spec on it's Synpower MST 5W30 and 5W40 oils. I've been really happy with these oils in my parents mitsubish modern petrol and diesel vehicles as they are low saps but have a strong HTHS.

(I might have quite a stash in the shed...
crazy.gif
but don't we all.)

Regards
jordan

It might not meet the minimum TBN either... can't trust an oil that claims to be 507.00, ACEA C3 and ACEA A3/B4 at the same time (I know these are good oil, but could use a little more honesty on their packaging)

Although it probably meets all the requirements for B4 level performance, I'm disappointed with the manufacturer putting "genuine" A3/B4 spec on the package while it's clearly not possible.

Fair call. As I said, I recommend it as it has a good HTHS, mid saps (good for EGR systems) and still a 30W. And it is is often on sale for $30-35AUD (for 5-Litres,) which is great value for a Dexos2 oil in Australia. The Helix Ultra I use in my Saab is had to find for less than $50
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: JFAllen
Odd yes, but if the oil meets all the other requirements of A3/B4 and can do so with a lower SAPS count, then I guess that's why they market it?

You can't be A3/B4 and C3 at the same time. That's just gibberish. The specifications are mutually exclusive. That doesn't mean it's a bad oil, but what is it actually? Given the actual dexos2 license, if I were to rely on it, I'd treat it as a C3 oil, and certainly not A3/B4.

Originally Posted By: Garak

The 5w-30 A3/B4 is a phantom product. But yes, the C3 type line is confusing.
wink.gif

HX8 5W30 A3/B4 very available here in Oz. http://www.shell.com.au/motorists/oils-l...etic-5w-30.html

Maybe they just don't have a pennzoil re-branded version of it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back