2008 Mini Clubman S yearly oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Mini Clubman S with very low miles that I only drive for pleasure. I only put about 2 to 3k miles on it a year. I change the oil on it yearly at the dealer with their Mini approved synthetic oil. I recently had a mechanic there tell me that I could go to an oil change every 2 years with that low of miles driven a year. Is that feasible or should I stick with the yearly oil change regardless?

I have a car (96 Barchetta) that I don't drive a lot, not even 2000K a year...change the oil every two years, if you don't do a lot of short trips, or don't track it.
While I'm at it I change the gearbox oil, coolant and brake fluid too, every two years or so. And it's probably overkill...

BMW updated their oil interval to one year/10k, so theyd probably recommend once a year. If youre worried, try an analysis at the one year mark, and see what it comes up with before you change it or run it out.

Meh 3k/yr I'd do two year oil changes and never look back. Those engines do like to burn oil and develop interesting leaks (ask me how I know how lol) so that's no excuse to not check up on your oil levels semi regular like.

Timing chain will go even if the levels are on the low end of normal. Since its 08 I'd recommend checking if it has new style chain tensioner just in case. You can change it yourself with very mild swearing, easier than it sounds and fairly cheap part.

Originally Posted By: silveravant
What does the owner's manual say?

Mini's recommendation was 1 year or 15000 miles . I've read that starting in 2012, Mini lowered that to 1 year 10000 miles. Since I will never drive either of those distances in one year, I guess my question is, should I follow the 1 year time recommendation or could I go longer or should I go shorter (like every 6 months)?

I drive the car only for pleasure and in only good weather on highways. I don't drive hard.

Originally Posted By: DdDd
Meh 3k/yr I'd do two year oil changes and never look back. Those engines do like to burn oil and develop interesting leaks (ask me how I know how lol) so that's no excuse to not check up on your oil levels semi regular like.

Timing chain will go even if the levels are on the low end of normal. Since its 08 I'd recommend checking if it has new style chain tensioner just in case. You can change it yourself with very mild swearing, easier than it sounds and fairly cheap part.

I've never had a problem with oil consumption with this car so far.

Last edited:
At 3k miles per year on a BMW approved synthetic, with no short tripping. Yes I personally would be OK leaving it in two years, and I have done similar things myself before on Euro A3/B4 synthetics with vehicles driven much as you described.

While it's not your Mini, my BIL bought a 5 year old Porsche Boxster with 9,000 miles on the factory fill and filter. It was the original owner's nice weather relaxation/escape vehicle. No short trip driving to the store. My BIL had Terry Dyson do the UOA and it came back with nothing unusual with the wear metals and still had good TBN life left. With your style of driving with this car I'd suspect you can easily go 2 year oil change intervals. How much oil does your oil change take? The Boxster takes about 9 quarts. Enjoy the car.

Whimsey

If you are taking it to the dealer for the oil change, just keep doing it once per year. They will no doubt look over the whole vehicle for something to sale to you. Your car will probably stay in better shape that way.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
How do you drive it? If you don't short trip it much, I'd say 2 years may be doable.

This.
If the oil gets up to temp (at least a 30 minute drive) and you are not trashing on it (full throttle right after startup), a 2 year interval should be fine.
Of course a UOA is a better way to help determine it, but not something I would worry about.

+1 more ... Do a UOA at the end of a year and we'll all know exactly what the oil is like. And you'll have evidence that you did it right, should you have to argue with the dealer/MFG on any issue (like a future recall ... )
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back