Towing Novice, need help with tow rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks I'm getting ready to shop for a travel trailer for my new 2017 F150 2.7. I was under the impression that the 2.7 was good to 8,100 per literature from fords website but upon a VIN search I see max tow at 5,000 but I'm just not sure that im interpreting it right. I no longer have the original sticker for the truck that would show what tow package I have, but it does have the larger mirrors, along with the 4 and 7 pin connector. Below is the info from a VIN search, I also know that I have the 3.31 gear.

Gross Axle Wt Rating - Front 3225 lbs 3225.0 min 3450.0 max

Gross Axle Wt Rating - Rear 3300 lbs 3300.0 min 3300.0 max

Curb Weight - Front 2548 lbs 2548.0 min 2726.0 max

Curb Weight - Rear 1846 lbs 1846.0 min 1895.0 max

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating Cap 6250, 6900, 6750, 6100 lbs 6100.0 min 7850.0 max (My door sticker says 6250lb)

Gross Combined Wt Rating 9800 lbs 9800.0 min 10100.0 max

Dead Weight Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. 5000 lbs 5000.0 min 5000.0 max

Dead Weight Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. 500 lbs 500.0 min 500.0 max

Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. 5000 lbs 5000.0 min 5000.0 max

Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. 500 lbs 500.0 min 500.0 max

Maximum Trailering Capacity 5000 lbs 5000.0 min 5000.0 max

Thats what came up from entering my VIN in a vin decoder. Can someone please help a newbie understand these numbers? Looking forward to learning here. Thanks.

Last edited:
I'd go talk to an experienced RV place or a trailer fabricator and get their interpretation of the law in your state for towing. They should know which parts of the manufacturers ratings you have follow, typically axle ratings, and which you don't, perhaps the maximum tow rating.
I wouldn't totally ignore the manufacturers tow ratings as there is some engineering behind those numbers, but do some research before you buy a new truck to tow the 5500lb trailer of your dreams...

I'd go to the dealer or email Ford for a real buildsheet, I don't trust those online things. It's gotta be higher than 5000, my Liberty and old Cherokee are both rated for 5000lbs/700ish lbs tongue weight.

I'm not far off from what I need at 5,000lb anyways. I would have really likes a 4600lb trailer with a gvwr of around 6,000 to give me some room for gear, but I've found several trailers that would suit at 3300-3800 which still has some room for 1200-1500lb of stuff to stay under my 5,000lb tow rating. I just want to find out what my weak link is to get to that max tow rating for the 2.7 which I believe is in the high 7k low 8k numbers. Trans cooler, hitch, gear, idk.

Max combined weight of the whole rig = 9800
Empty curb weight of truck = 2548 + 1846 = 4394

So that allows for 5400 lb trailer with truck completely empty (no fuel or driver).

IMHO (we all have one)....

Go with a 5th wheel RV.

I pull a 31' Forest River (8,300 lbs) with my F150 just fine.
I'd never go bumper pull again in a million years.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
IMHO (we all have one)....

Go with a 5th wheel RV.

I pull a 31' Forest River (8,300 lbs) with my F150 just fine.
I'd never go bumper pull again in a million years.

I looked for 5th wheels within my tow rating but they seem to be non existent.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Ford rates the 2.7 with the 3.31 rear axle at a minimum of 7600 pounds towing and goes up from there. I suspect your truck may even be rated for as much as 8300.

You might be able to find a digital copy of the window sticker from the original dealership.

yes I just emailed the saleswoman I used with the VIN and requested the window sticker.

I just contacted my saleswoman. She said the 2.7 w/3.31 gear and 145" wheelbase is good for 7600lb. She is also mailing me the original window sticker.

Why can't I find a 7600lb number through my research, while that is the number they give me?

Last edited:
In the meantime you can use this site to get a digital copy of the window sticker:
https://researchmaniacs.com/VIN-Number-Lookup/WindowSticker/Ford.html

Remember to follow the manufacturer's guidelines. The Ford literature is good at explaining all the #s.
Use the payload capacity on the door jamb as a guide and remember to total up all the people and junk in the truck + the tongue weight. All the extra junk should not exceed the payload.

The door tag should have the GCWR of the truck. Get the truck weighed, then subtract that from the sticker. That's the truck's towing / cargo capacity.

Remember that passengers, gear, cargo all subtract from what the truck is able to tow. If your truck is rated for 7500 from the factory, a travel trailer salesperson will try to sell you a 7500 pound travel trailer. Once you load it up, and get the family and gear in, you're overloaded.

Just something to keep in mind

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Remember to follow the manufacturer's guidelines. The Ford literature is good at explaining all the #s.
Use the payload capacity on the door jamb as a guide and remember to total up all the people and junk in the truck + the tongue weight. All the extra junk should not exceed the payload.

Yea I really want to stay at 75% too. I just feel like it will help keep from stressing the trucks drivetrain out. Maybe keep the turbos happy too!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
The door tag should have the GCWR of the truck. Get the truck weighed, then subtract that from the sticker. That's the truck's towing / cargo capacity.

Remember that passengers, gear, cargo all subtract from what the truck is able to tow. If your truck is rated for 7500 from the factory, a travel trailer salesperson will try to sell you a 7500 pound travel trailer. Once you load it up, and get the family and gear in, you're overloaded.

This. So if the truck weighs 5000 lbs that leaves 2500 for ppl,cargo and trailer.

If you look at the table in the towing guide, Supercrew 4x2 F150 with the 2.7 and 3.31 axle ratio, the maximum trailer weight is 7600 lbs with a conventional tow, and the 5th wheel goes to 7500 lbs.

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/17RV&TT_Ford_F150_Sep7.pdf

To do that, note the following:
-Anything over 5000 lbs requires a weight distributing hitch with conventional towing.
-If you do NOT have the trailer towing package, you are limited to 5000 lbs. Note that it is possible for a truck to be equipped with a receiver hitch and the 4/7 pin wiring, and not have the trailer tow package. Specifically, you need the 53A package. (Adds trans cooling and thicker sway bar on top of the wiring and hitch)
-In addition, if you don't have the heavy payload package with the 2.7, odds are you have a low payload and won't be able to carry much weight or passengers in the truck.

To be honest, if I wanted a 5th wheel travel trailer, an F150 isn't enough truck, and if I did an F150, I'd get the 5.0 or 3.5 Ecoboost - they get higher payloads than the 2.7 trucks. (And I say that as the owner of a 2.7 Ecoboost F150).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Miller88

This. So if the truck weighs 5000 lbs that leaves 2500 for ppl,cargo and trailer.

Still confused. Your saying that the 7600lb number is a GCVWR but this link from ford, https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/17RV&TT_Ford_F150_Sep7.pdf , shows my vehicle with 145"Wb 4x2 2.7 7600lb is maximum loaded TRAILER weight. Where lies the absolute answer to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back