Can filter choice affect used oil color?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there proof or do you think a top end filter can make oil look cleaner(lighter in color)?

I have never seen a filter have that much to any effect on the oil color. Oil type/additives, previous history, and motor type play the biggest things to affect that.

I like this question. This will be a very interesting discussion. I would think a super duper high dollar oil filter would help keep oil cleaner looking longer. Oil Cleaner Looking Longer. Say that really fast 5 times in succession.

Originally Posted By: Starman2112
No. Oil turns black because of heat cycles and soot. The soot is usually too small for even the finest oil filter to catch.

Correct

Of course, this "GIMMICK" was used to sell a lot of apparatus...

No. Oil turns black because of heat cycles and soot. The soot is usually too small for even the finest oil filter to catch.

I would have agreed years ago with statement above, but after using a pair of FilterMags and added magnets on my spin-on oil filters
and the UOA reports, it turns out the oil in a late model car with a good engine turns black due to wear metals
in the oil!

Possible exception is soot production in a diesel engine or very old vintage engines with tons of blow-by!

As to filters, I've tried every kind of spin-on filter out there, always the same, black oil in 1 month or so.

Another way to keep the oil cleaner is to do a Kerosene engine flush at the next oil change and the new oil
will look cleaner about a month longer then usual, then it turns black again. Because Kerosene and any other
commercial engine oil flushes is an astringent, you can't use it all the time, or the seals will dry out, shrink and leak.

Currently I can keep the oil amber colored/ clean for 6 months 6,000 miles with 2 FilterMags,
6 small bar magnets on the outside, 2 bar mags down the center tube, 4 small mags around the oil threads
and a big ring mag on the end! Yeah, looks a little much and I don't know if I can stuff more on it,
but I'm getting a UOA in the spring when I get to 8,226 miles and see how it compares to my last result with
6 less magnets!

Really small wear metal particles have less attractive force to the magnets as the oil flows compared to big particles
so to get the most metal out of the oil you need a lot of magnets. I started with just 1 FilterMag and upped it
a step at a time and the UOA results improve each time. Iron wear tracks with mileage for sure, almost linear
if you drive the same way. Other metals like lead and aluminum drop a bit too since there's less free iron
circulating to cause 'secondary wear'. I wish I thought of doing this in my 20's!

Check out the pics in this:

FILTERMAG vs HOMEBREW
https://app.box.com/s/uxvu8dmscf5wcgftutdm0ejqwgn86tw7

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Correct

Of course, this "GIMMICK" was used to sell a lot of apparatus...

Not really a "gimmick" in a dishonest way ... it really did what you saw because that filter is super efficient. 3u at 99.63% efficiency per the SWRI testing. On a side note, guess those dudes at the SWRI have some pretty modern and accurate particle counters to get that measurement.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Not in my experience-it gets black in 5 minutes on my Cummins Ram regardless of whether it's a cheap Purolator or a $45 Fleetguard Stratapore Venturi.

That would drive me bonkers. I don't no how you diesel guys can stand that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back