Might have found a bike...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will look at it this weekend. 2014 Sportster 883, already has mid controls, engine guard, and highway pegs.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I'd choose something else. I raced one in a stock WRX I had and I pulled away from the woman on it.

One purchases a sportster for the style, not the power. The 883 makes about 36HP, maybe. It's a classic, fun to ride, American design, with a few modern improvements for reliability. It's not for me, but I'd by lying if I said I did not enjoy riding them.

What does your lady say?
I know you ride together...

P.S. do you have a covered garage spot or careful neighbors at your rental?

congrats on the bike! sat on many new & used Sportster 883's over the past few years when I was looking to change from the Honda Shadow 750 Aero I used to have;

stock controls tucked me up too much & forward controls stretched me a bit beyond my sweet spot; the bars on Iron variants stretched my upper body too far & stock setup on Superlow variants felt good; if I were in still in the market I would want a Superlow with forward controls to be as close to ideal for me; my issue is bikes being to heavy to control under duress (eg: flat front tire) so I downsized...

Originally Posted By: Cujet
The 883 makes about 36HP, maybe.

I thought it was more than that?

harley_883_torque_chart.jpg

If it does what you want it to do, go for it. They are not hot rod bikes as you know, but can be a fun little bike to buzz around on. There must be something about them, they've been making and selling them for 60 years.,,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
If it does what you want it to do, go for it. They are not hot rod bikes as you know, but can be a fun little bike to buzz around on. There must be something about them, they've been making and selling them for 60 years.,,,

They are VERY FUN!

Back in 1994, I had one that would do 12.39 in the 1/4.
Maybe not as fast as the crotchrockets, but the TORQUE made it FUN to ride.

A buddy of mine in Rockwall, TX has a CAFE racer kind of similar/like this one.
Still all "stock" 883 engine.
It is a LOT of fun to ride (at W.O.T. all the time, though!)

getlowered-harley-davidson-cafe-sportster-2.jpg

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Cujet
The 883 makes about 36HP, maybe.

I thought it was more than that?

I meant 46HP, oops.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
What does your lady say?
I know you ride together...

P.S. do you have a covered garage spot or careful neighbors at your rental?

Why would she care? The bike is for me, not her.

I have a garage.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna

I'm going to be That Guy. You know: the weird dude with the full tour pack on an 883 Sporty, with NH plates in Texas!

I'd ride an 883 anyday, nice bike to ride without forward controls. The original iron 883 was made to compete with the British 650's, and had about the same performance, but not the handling. My R65 would probably clean one up, but then an R65 isn't a high HP bike either.

Go for it. It will be a really nice bike. The 2014 was the first year of canban wireing. It has the gear indicator in the speedo. It responds well to a stage one hop up. I love the mid controls. I have a 2014 but turned it into a Hammer powered 110 HP at the rear wheels beast. I love this bike. You cant go wrong.

Yeah he's telling you the bike is relatively slow. You need 1000 cc's to not get tired of the bike. Get the bigger HD motor if you want a HD.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Yeah he's telling you the bike is relatively slow. You need 1000 cc's to not get tired of the bike. Get the bigger HD motor if you want a HD.

He's researched and evaluated and has been wanting an 883 for a while now because it fits his mission spec well. I also disagree with your need 1000cc's concept. Plenty of motorcycles well under that displacement that satisfy forever.

Why do people keep making the ridiculous claim that you "need" 1000ccs?!?! Ye gods.

Originally Posted By: endeavor to persevere
Go for it. It will be a really nice bike. The 2014 was the first year of canban wiring. It has the gear indicator in the speedo. It responds well to a stage one hop up. I love the mid controls. I have a 2014 but turned it into a Hammer powered 110 HP at the rear wheels beast. I love this bike. You cant go wrong.

Not thrilled with a CANBUS bike, but I can live with it. (It makes swapping to LED lights a hassle.)

I owned a 1200 and rode a friend's 883 many times. The 1200 is plenty fast enough to put a giant grin on my face. The 883 is still perfectly fun to ride, with more than enough low end power to really scoot off the line. Neither one is the greatest highway cruiser, but I think the small gas tanks make the MPG of the 883 a better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back