1998 Tacoma 2.7 recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering what you guys would recommend for a 1998 Toyota Tacoma 2.7? I just purchased the vehicle and am going to do an oil change. The previous owner said he used full synthetic but didn’t say what. I know typically Toyota’s are very easy on oil I’m just wondering what oil you guys find best in this application and overall. I know a lot of people comment on m1 being more noisy than most and stuff like that. Also what filter would you recommend?

My Toyota not a 2.7 seems to like them all very little oil usage. I've used PP, PUP, QSUD, VML, M1, Castrol Black bottle. All in various 5w-30 and 10w-30 never a issue. How did I decide easy what was on sale for the least.

It depends on your usage. I like Castrol Magnatec 5w30 with a supertech filter. Really cheap setup for 5k OCI's.

try the quaker state ultimate durability. 5w30 is pretty stout.
My ex had the 2001 tacoma 4 cylinder and we used QSGB conventional and it was just fine.

Toyotas can run on anything, but my butt dyno says M1 was the smoothest in any of the Toyotas I've owned over the years. New Toyotas run thin 0w20 Toyota Genuine oil, which uses same base as M1 last I read on here.

1998 TOYOTA TACOMA 2.7L 4 -cyl Engine [M] 3RZ-FE
VISCOSITIES:
All TEMPS....5W-30
Above 0 F....10W-30
CAPACITIES: With filter 5.7 quarts After refill check oil level.
TORQUES: Oil Drain Plug...27 ft/lbs

Run any decent oil and filter you like, all will work well. Get the frame oil sprayed or Fluid Filmed once a year without fail. Make sure they spray INSIDE the frame. This model uses a box frame which collects salt and rusts quickly.

If you are short on cash, fluid film is available in aerosol cans with an extension nozzle for getting into the frame.

I have the same model truck

Last edited:
I had a 95 Tacoma with that 2.7 engine. Great little 4 banger. Could do pretty much anything the six could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back