unlimited mileage passenger tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember these tire names and I actually had the X-Ones on a car in which I ended up selling. So, their memory was short for me.

In terms of longevity, this is somewhat subjective. You & I could have the same vehicle/engine/tire size. And both of us could get different lengths of tire tread life depending on driving style/multiple drivers etc.

Also, these tires may have had longer warranties of months owned. Instead of the standard 4 or 5 years of warranty(down to 2/32nds, they may have given 6 or 7 years. IIRC, the G/Y started out at ~ 12 32nds instead of 10 32nds...Just saying!

Another factor that comes to mind is, maybe they weren't profitable enough for the companies to keep producing...or the warranty killed them.

Keep in mind too, that the market and technologies have changed and the names of the tires have changed to reflect that. There are a ton of reasons that these tires are not with us any longer.

Last edited:
When the obama govt killed coal it dramatically effected Michelin’s tire formulation. You can thank the former
EPA. This is what I was told when I was asking around as to why Michelin tires got “sucky” for a couple of years. I was shocked at the prominence of coal in Michelin tire Mfg.

Of course, I may have been misinformed. That is a possibility.

Unlimited mileage tires - take your pick:

Flinstones%20Car_08DEC17_zps1e8y9mli.jpg

banana2.gif

I'd rather have tires with a variety of good attributes, that I have to replace every 5 years... than tires that provide next to nothing, yet last forever.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
When the obama govt killed coal it dramatically effected Michelin’s tire formulation. You can thank the former
EPA. This is what I was told when I was asking around as to why Michelin tires got “sucky” for a couple of years. I was shocked at the prominence of coal in Michelin tire Mfg.

The unlimited tire thing is Obama's fault? Sounds fishy to me. Super cheap natural gas is one of the main contributors to the fall of coal, which is relatively expensive to mine (relative to natural gas). If you can get natural gas cheaper, why use coal?

The free market is killing coal...

http://reason.com/blog/2016/10/11/natural-gas-ambush-killed-off-coal-minin
http://time.com/4913856/rick-perry-trump-coal-energy-grid-study-obama/
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trumps-plan-wont-reverse-coals-decline/
https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2017/4/28/15465348/obama-trump-regulations-coal
http://e360.yale.edu/features/why_us_coal_industry_and_its_jobs_are_not_coming_back

I don't think coal is dead.

Even if it's use for generating electricity is LESS
that make it's availability for industrial uses become MORE

I don't see any rationale... if tire companies need coal for rubber formulas - - they can get it EASILY.

Carbon black is manufactured from natural gas or oil derivatives, depending on the requirements for the finished product.

Quote:

Okayyyyy. That's a doozy tale. To think I wasn't even aware that "Michelin tires got sucky for a couple years," not to mention the govt killing coal being the cause.

Without even reading other information, I'd choose the last two sentences of the quote as the much more likely choice.

Everything is Obama's fault.

Even when manufacturer realized they made a wrong bet and lost their shirt on "unlimited mileage passenger tires".

Well then, I guess tires now cost half as much and are great again, right?

Originally Posted By: Le_bow_ski
Well then, I guess tires now cost half as much and are great again, right?

It was said that there are around 2 gallons of crude oil in every tire. They got pricey in the late 2000's. MSRP might not be cheaper but there are more rebates (which give them some padding in case raw materials prices go back up.)

There was also a tarriff on chinese tires that expired a couple years back.

When my wife got her HHR back in 2013 its 215/55/16 tires were $100 apiece. I managed to get 4 for $100 through DTD shenanigans last year.

Those high-mileage tires can be good for nothing except lasting a long long time. Plus, tires age out anyway, so even if the tread will last 200k, they'll still be cracked and dry rotted after 6-10 years and will still need to be replaced. The people who buy those tires just for the long tread life are the ones who will never notice the cracking and degrading of the rubber.

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv
Unlimited mileage tires - take your pick:

That's what I was hoping to avoid by going cheaper than Michelin, but I chose badly in that regard.
wink.gif
They've been okay so far, but I had hoped for a faster wearing tire. So, I go out and buy one with an unlimited mileage warranty. Great choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back