Unrest

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a lot of folks that wish, hope, and prepare for some type of unrest. Laying aside the fantasy stuff (i.e. zombie apocalypse), in the U.S., what type of unrest do you think could REALLY happen, how long do you think it would last, how do you think using your firearm(s) would play in to that, and (here's the big one) what repercussions do you think your use of a fire arm during the unrest could have after the unrest is done?

Do natural disasters count? Those are very real, I don't think preppers wish and hope something will happen, just are realistic that they want to be as prepared as they can be when it does.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Do natural disasters count? Those are very real, I don't think preppers wish and hope something will happen, just are realistic that they want to be as prepared as they can be when it does.
Absolutely, they count. That is the most probable scenario. Or maybe an EMP
smile.gif

I'd imagine for a relatively localized short-term civil unrest type situation, like a natural disaster, many of the laws/repercussions would be upheld. But, I dunno, I suppose we can see how some of these cases turned out from Katrina or other events.

My concern leans toward any scenario where the general population, due to circumstances, feels they could get away with committing crimes that would otherwise be difficult to pull off. This could entail natural disasters....power outages.....war.....civil disobedience......race riots......political instability......fire.....martial law.....and just about any number of situations where our charming population feels it could get away with stealing, killing, raping, or murder.

Having a firearm during such time could very well save your life and property. At least until a large group of armed thugs could overwhelm you.

Repercussions? Who cares. But perhaps after such a situation people would come to realize the importance of having a firearm in the home AND that us humans can be a very vicious lot.

Look at how insane people act in department stores during Black Friday sales trying to save a few bucks on a TV set. Now try to imagine a real problem that actually effected their lives and well being. I can't imagine being in such a situation without a firearm..... Or several. People today are basically nuts.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Look at how insane people act in department stores during Black Friday sales trying to save a few bucks on a TV set. Now try to imagine a real problem that actually effected their lives and well being. I can't imagine being in such a situation without a firearm..... Or several. People today are basically nuts.
You got that right, brother.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Originally Posted By: billt460
You got that right, brother.

Living in hurricane country - we are always prepared to go at least a week with no power, and no ability to get food/water. Stored bottled water, food, batteries, propane for cooking, white gas for Coleman lanter/stove are always stocked up. So are essential first aid supplies, extra gasoline, and medicines, and yes, dog food.

An EMP is a much more severe scenario. Much longer lasting, more severe conditions. The loss of anything that worked on electricity in an instant.

Most of the population in the affected area will not survive past a year. As many as 80% will die from starvation, disease, and violence. The loss of 200 years of advancement and technology in an instant will mean certain death for many, like those in hospitals, or dependent on dialysis or daily medicine, while creating circumstances in which the region cannot support the present population.

Shelter, heat, food, water, sanitation, security, and essential medicines, will all present a huge challenge. You can stock up on ammo, but best to acquire some training in firearms usage right now. After an event like that is simply too late.

If a nuke or emp hits, why would you want to survive? What will be left for you to enjoy? It'll be absolute chaos followed by corruption and slow death.

Are you really going to join your neighbors and start a rogue settlement with it's own laws and defense? How long before the next badder settlement invades and takes over?

And everyone who is currently on some sort of maintenance medication is screwed. Diabetics, seizure prone people, dialysis, autoimmune sufferers, and special diet people are going to be screwed in the long term.

I think many are of the Boy Scout type - be prepared, but there may be a few Walter Mitty types that hope for such. I think the Walter Mitty types are few and far between.

As far as repercussions for violence during such an event ? I'm not sure beyond most insurance policies not covering 'insurrection'. At that point, I think the definition of 'reasonable' becomes much harder to pin down. As a result when order was restored, one would need to ask, was that reasonable under those circumstances ?

I'd rather be there to explain, than not be.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
If a nuke or emp hits, why would you want to survive? What will be left for you to enjoy? It'll be absolute chaos followed by corruption and slow death.

Are you really going to join your neighbors and start a rogue settlement with it's own laws and defense? How long before the next badder settlement invades and takes over?

And everyone who is currently on some sort of maintenance medication is screwed. Diabetics, seizure prone people, dialysis, autoimmune sufferers, and special diet people are going to be screwed in the long term.

I would want my wife and I to live. If you wouldn't want to....then can I have your food and supplies?

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

I guess you live in an urban area? Watched too many mad max movies?
In a rural agricultural area, I think folks could get things going pretty quickly if they had enough diesel fuel to get over the hump to convert to bio fuel or horsepower. Also I guess the number of large mechanically injected diesel tractors is getting pretty low, but there's still lots of old ones doing odd jobs around the farms near us.
Anyways, I like to think our township could be fenced off and have enough food, fuel, tools, farm animals, to get on pretty well for quite a while.
I think realistically an EMP could destroy most of the power grid, but not every electronic device over a huge area.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
You most likely will run out of meds for HPB, kidney dialysis meds, liver meds, and so on,,imho

This is a highly underrated aspect of prepping. Really, it could be the most important point. You won't get far when SHTF if your poor lifestyle has made you dependent on alcohol, tobacco, legal or illegal drugs, or anything else that runs out in an emergency. Every time there's a flood, deputies are out there in boats trying to get insulin to people.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Reddy45 said:

Quote:
I would want my wife and I to live. If you wouldn't want to....then can I have your food and supplies?

Good luck..it won't happen. No electricity , armed bands everywhere, Nuclear plants melt down spewing radiation. Anyone that does somewhow survive, will just be doing that...mostly less. Not interested in living in [censored] for a few more weeks. Yes..you can have my food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back