I Have Sinned / Bought Chinese

Status
Not open for further replies.
First let me say, I HAVE ALWAYS TRIED TO BUY .... MADE IN USA,,,, ALWAYS.
But the world is changing.

I wanted to replace the light bulb in my desk lamp from Halogen to LED.

Neither 'local' big box store had what I needed.
I was not about to turn this into a 25 mile drive, all day event.
So I looked on E-Bay.

If I bought locally, cost would have been $10.00 for 1 bulb.
I bought (4) on E-Bay for $1.66 each + 2.00 shipping ...... coming from China.
Every day I wait for a rickshaw to come to the house / that's how it works, right ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GY6-35-Crystal-Lamp-Daylight-Candelabra-SMD-LED-Light-bulb-White-Warm-Dimmable/282607258597?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=581789259419&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I was just amazed that I could buy something so high tech for only $1.66 right from China.

Let the bashing begin.
27.gif

Edit: If I would have bought locally, where would those bulbs have been made ? ...... China

Last edited:
subsidized by our USPS for delivery.. trying to send it back for a return.. only 24.99 shipping.

I think one of the big problems with trying to avoid buying Chinese is that... EVERYTHING is made there.

Even when I search out the more expensive better made options for some stuff, I turn up empty handed because nobody carries them.

One thing I have found to be useful lately is buying used USA made tools on eBay instead of new Chinese junk. I really hate Chinese tools. They are cheap and bend or break very easily. I cut open my hand once when a cheap Chinese Craftsman ratchet (the new Evolve junk) broke inside and my hand slammed against a suspension component I was working on.

I could've probably driven to the only remaining Sears which is 45 minutes away to get a free replacement, but I decided to buy a barely used USA made SK ratchet on eBay for $8, and have been very happy.

Well, if what you need(key word, NEED) isn't make here in the U.S., what are you gonna do?

Sorry for the two posts, this page seemed to be jumping all over the place!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MasterSolenoid
First let me say, I HAVE ALWAYS TRIED TO BUY .... MADE IN USA,,,, ALWAYS.
But the world is changing.

I wanted to replace the light bulb in my desk lamp from Halogen to LED.

Neither 'local' big box store had what I needed.
I was not about to turn this into a 25 mile drive, all day event.
So I looked on E-Bay.

If I bought locally, cost would have been $10.00 for 1 bulb.
I bought (4) on E-Bay for $1.66 each + 2.00 shipping ...... coming from China.
Every day I wait for a rickshaw to come to the house / that's how it works, right ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GY6-35-Crystal-Lamp-Daylight-Candelabra-SMD-LED-Light-bulb-White-Warm-Dimmable/282607258597?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=581789259419&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I was just amazed that I could buy something so high tech for only $1.66 right from China.

Let the bashing begin.
27.gif

Edit: If I would have bought locally, where would those bulbs have been made ? ...... China

If you check eBay out, you'll see that you can buy a lot of stuff direct from China for dirt cheap with free shipping. The trade off is that shipping takes weeks, but you save plenty to make it worthwhile IMO.

Why pay huge markups that walmart and big box retailers are charging for similar made products.

I bought some cheap led lights for my car off eBay and they were Less than $2 for 10 bulbs inlc shipping. That super bright led website sells similar lights for more than $2 each.

I did get a few duds, so next time I'll make sure to order a few extras, but I'll still be ahead on cost.

I wouldn't go that far again to buy direct. There is no doubt in my mind they would put seconds, or thirds, or fourths, out on ebay. I did buy some ball bearings because they were so cheap, lot of nice specs. What I got was a bag of pitted out of spec ball bearings, probably factory rejects and put in bags or something. Maybe they were swept off the factory floor from the look of them. It could be a guy in his bedroom selling it. At least an American company who sells their soul to China may sell a product that has a little honesty.

It makes you think about the risk if....hypothetically speaking...the USA had a war with China. Within 2 months all the shelves at Walmart would be empty. A huge amount of stuff would not be locally available. Such a scary thought of how much control China has against the world.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
It makes you think about the risk if....hypothetically speaking...the USA had a war with China. Within 2 months all the shelves at Walmart would be empty. A huge amount of stuff would not be locally available. Such a scary thought of how much control China has against the world.

Not just Walmart but every store. Go to Target, Macy’s, etc and it’s all the same stuff. Each store places it’s generic brand on the merchandise. It’s not a Walmart exclusive situation.

You bought a Chinese made lamp? You maniac! Say it ain't so!

I've done it a bunch of times. Mostly obscure stuff though, like lighting for my fish tanks, for decorations or odd lamps.

I just bought a 6 pack of these nifty little color changing LED candelabra base lamps for a Christmas decoration. Chinese, but they shipped from NJ.

Originally Posted By: MasterSolenoid

shipping ...... coming from China.

The first thing I ever bought on ebay coming from China was about 13 years ago? 2004?

It arrived in an olive-green rice paper shipping envelope, covered with colorful stamps.
I think I might still have it.

I was upset when I went to look at washer dryer that there were Korean Leogki Geumseong machines. I was tipping the machines forward in the display line to read the Country of Origin and a theretofore missing salesperson appeared and asked me what I was doing and if I needed any help. I said, No I'm doing OK - if I see something I might want to order I come get you.

My last washer was jet cone machine and was made by General Motors in the early 70's . Nice machine. Should have kept it.

Everything is made in China and Taiwan nowadays. Just bought a couple Klein tools and the screwdriver is from Taiwan and the flashlight and strippers are from China.

Anymore I usually go to Amazon and get their price and product description, then go to ebay and look for cheaper. 9 times out of 10 it is cheaper, but slow shipping. But it's usually half the price or less from ebay.

Just ordered a fan for my heater. The manufacturer wants $95 plus shipping, ebay $22 shipped. Same with computer cables and many more things you would spend time and money looking in vain locally for the products.

And most bought locally are the same item made in China.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech

Before anything gets that far, if they dump all the USD holding into the market and collapsed the USD valuation, it would have been enough to destroy the US economy. The reason our world is relatively peaceful after WWII is because we are all locked into a mutually assured destruction so no one will start something stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back