2012 Volvo S60 T5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got the subject car from my in-laws. Doing some quick searches it seems there have been issues with that model eating piston rings. Volvo updated the oil requirements to full synthetic as well. I've always been partial to Mobil 1 and Pennzoil so I went to the Mobil website where they have a "find the right oil for your car." I filled in the info and here's what I got, "Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 0W-30 viscosity and synthetic oil and oil that meets ACEA A5/B5. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications." Does anyone here have any thoughts on this? Seems crazy that Mobil 1 doesn't offer an oil that works in the T5 engine. If that's the case I guess it's either Pennzoil ultra or Castrol edge, which is what Volvo pushes (guessing due to marketing).

Any A3/B4 would work just fine, as jeepman3071 pointed out. There are A5/B5 oils out there, with Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum being the simplest to find, but they'll be 5w-30, not 0w-30, which really isn't a concern. I highly doubt Mobil 1 5w-30 would be problematic in the least, either.

I use Mobil1 and Pennzoil Platinum 0W-40 in our 5 cylinder Volvo. No issues and the engine looks clean under the oil fill cap. Be sure to check the crankcase pressure as these engines are prone to sludge.

Originally Posted By: vtmecheng
I just got the subject car from my in-laws. Doing some quick searches it seems there have been issues with that model eating piston rings. Volvo updated the oil requirements to full synthetic as well. I've always been partial to Mobil 1 and Pennzoil so I went to the Mobil website where they have a "find the right oil for your car." I filled in the info and here's what I got, "Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 0W-30 viscosity and synthetic oil and oil that meets ACEA A5/B5. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications." Does anyone here have any thoughts on this? Seems crazy that Mobil 1 doesn't offer an oil that works in the T5 engine. If that's the case I guess it's either Pennzoil ultra or Castrol edge, which is what Volvo pushes (guessing due to marketing).

Ask your local Volvo dealer what they use in this engine. It is strange that Mobil doesn't have anything. But, the same can be said for Castrol US for my Volvo in their "find the right oil" application.

Last edited:
Castrol's five the right oil for my car is confusing. It lists 4 different types of S60 T5 engines but as I understand out there was only one for the 2012. Only one of those four types actually shows an oil that's available, all others show "special product." Seems like a poor system.

I found the official Volvo updated oil requirements, instead of going with a oil company website. The requirement for normal temp driving is a full synthetic 5w30 A5/B5. They used to allow conventional 5w30 but had problems with failing rings and sludge buildup so they upped the requirements. Mobil1 doesn't meet A5/B5, Castrol and Pennzoil do. Local auto store had Pennzoil Platinum on sale so I went with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back