Do you think my pressure washer pump froze?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I was going to winterize it with rv. antifreeze but the store I was at didn't have it. It stays in a storage unit, so I would think it would be a few degrees warmer. It only got down to 32 but it was enough to turn the grass white with snow. I would think any water inside the pump would be a few degrees warmer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think it would have to get down into the 20s to make it cold enough inside the pump or am I wrong?

How do you get it out? Pull the cord slowly?

I think you'll be OK for now.

If you pull the cord slowly you will get most of the water out of the pump. It is always best to fill the pump with RV anti-freeze and cap it off so it doesn't leak out.

I would think it would have evaporated by now. I haven't used it for a couple months.

Briggs & Stratton 4-fl oz Pump Saver

•Unique anti-freeze and lubricant formula
•Protects pistons and seals from damage during storage
•Helps prevent harmful buildup of hard water mineral deposits
•For use before storage and before startup the next season

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Briggs-Stratton-4-fl-oz-Pump-Saver/3241112

This is what I use for customers that want their pressure washer ready for storage.
One can will do a small pressure washer twice or a large one once.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I would think it would have evaporated by now. I haven't used it for a couple months.

Then why would you start this thread asking if it froze?

Originally Posted By: Rand

Then why would you start this thread asking if it froze?
+1 in the spring we'll blame the pump mfg that it's a pos

i was just saying. I don't know if it evaporated or not, just a guess. I bought a fitting today so I can put compressed air through it in the future to blow out any water. Then i'll use a hose and put some rv anti freeze through it and blow that through too.

Yesterday I was going to winterize it with rv. antifreeze but the store I was at didn't have it. It stays in a storage unit, so I would think it would be a few degrees warmer. It only got down to 32 but it was enough to turn the grass white with snow. I would think any water inside the pump would be a few degrees warmer.

Should be fine. Freezing inside pipes/fittings/pumps is about time at temperature. A few hours right at (or even slightly below) freezing is harmless. The heat of the mass of the pump will protect any water inside from freezing. Just make sure you get there and get it above freezing ASAP, then winterize it.

Ice melts into water at 32*F....

32*F is not the temp at which water freezes, it is lower than that.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Should be fine. Freezing inside pipes/fittings/pumps is about time at temperature. A few hours right at (or even slightly below) freezing is harmless. The heat of the mass of the pump will protect any water inside from freezing.

Yes, correct.

the pressurized pump saver works good.

I pull the cord a few times and fog the cylinder.

Then put the pump saver on and give it a few squirts while loosely covering the outlet with a rag

I used a hose and put t.v. anti freeze through until it came out of the outlet side of the pump. Then I turned the engine over a little bit and added some more. The pump saver probably would have been better, but I'm cheqp.

I used a hose and put t.v. anti freeze through until it came out of the outlet side of the pump. Then I turned the engine over a little bit and added some more. The pump saver probably would have been better, but I'm cheqp.
I have done the above stated method for about 10 years on a CAT pump after every use generally with pre mix EG antifreeze never a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back