Pentius ultraflow extended life LXL3614 oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run

Got this on RockAuto for less than $5. It looks to take aim at the higher end filters. The look and feel of it, I would say much better than you expect for less than 5 dollars. Thick metal can and a slightly textured paint. On the box it claims 99% efficiency at 20 microns. Made in Korea.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Looks like a nicely built filter for less than $5. Good efficiency too.

Looks like the stp extended filter and the pronto extended life. Must be the same factory.

Originally Posted By: Kage860
Looks like the stp extended filter....... Must be the same factory.

Bingo. At first look thinking same thing. Though recent production of the AZ STPXL shows a coo of China, from previous S Korea. RA having older stock likely still have the latter coo. As an aside, looking at the adbv baseplate design leads me to wonder if the adbv might show some indentions post use. The AZ S3614XL linked.

https://www.autozone.com/external-engine/oil-filter/stp-extended-life-oil-filter/663636_0_6864

I looked at that exact filter (same model #) on RA and thought it was an excellent deal.....but as usual, the RA shipping charges killed the deal for me.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

99% at 20 micron MULTI pass is not that great at all.

99% at 20 micron SINGLE pass is "good" efficiency

Originally Posted By: Linctex
99% at 20 micron MULTI pass is not that great at all.

99% at 20 micron SINGLE pass is "good" efficiency.

Nobody uses single pass sfficiency anymore, they use ISO 4548-12 and have been since around 2000, and it has become the industry standard.

I haven't seen any cross correlation between single pass and multi-pass efficiency.

^^^ Was going to post similar but figured since addressed to you, let you reply. Though I don't see 4548-12 on the Pentius box, in this case I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt stating multipass. The clone STP XL notes "99% Efficiency @ > 20 Microns" ISO 4548-12.

All that said, beyond posting accurate information no vested interest here. I don't buy filters from RA and highly unlikely I'd use an STP XL unless part of a 'stellar' AZ oil/filter combo promo. Rarely if ever see one of those. That and AZ STP filters have no 7317 application I use, making it more unlikely.

Nobody uses single pass sfficiency anymore, they use ISO 4548-12

Good to know, I stand corrected

Has all the nice features and done right. Too bad it doesn't have USA on it. Good to see they stay with the 99% @ 20 number and don't try to fudge it higher with no actual data, rounding off 98.67% to 99% is OK.

CUT IT OPEN!
20.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Nobody uses single pass sfficiency anymore, they use ISO 4548-12
Good to know, I stand corrected.

If you look at how the ISO 4812-12 test is conducted, it continuously monitors the cleanliness of the oil upstream and downstream of the filter with particle counters to get a real time efficiency.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
CUT IT OPEN!
20.gif

That comes after it's been in service.

Originally Posted By: Run
Originally Posted By: StevieC
CUT IT OPEN!
20.gif

But... But... But...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
... Good to see they stay with the 99% @ 20 number and don't try to fudge it higher with no actual data, rounding off 98.67% to 99% is OK.

I guess you think if you keep repeating this then others will buy into it or that maybe you'll feel better about whatever filters you have been using. All filters are not equal and do not all have the same efficiency. Some are way less than 99% at 20 microns. Some are 99% at 40 microns (Purolator Boss), not at 20 microns. One that we know of (WIX XP/NAPA Platinum) is 50% at 20 microns. WIX/NAPA Gold is 95% at 20 microns. FRAM Ultra is 99+% at 20 microns. Most of the old Purolator PureONE yellow filters were 99.9% at 20 microns, and so on .... Anyway, in my opinion, if the filter has an efficiency of 95% or greater at 20 microns, then that's more than good enough for me.

Originally Posted By: Run
Quote:
CUT IT OPEN!

I don't blame you, personally I don't like to waste new usable filters either. The only virgin OF I've cut open for posting was an old Champ made Super Tech ST3614 back when there were some reported issue with their louver openings. Only cost $2.84 so didn't feel too bad about giving one up for science.

As for what it looks like, my speculation is same as the noted STP XL of which several virgin and used have been posted here over time. Linked is a shorty S6607XL post use, you commented there.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4374754/STP_6607_XL_2005_Accord_4900_m

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
.... The only virgin OF I've cut open for posting was an old Champ made Super Tech ST3614 back when there were some reported issue with their louver openings.

Too late to edit, meant ST7317 which used classic construction. The ST3614 was an ecore.

USA manufacturers better take heed. Hyundai, Kia , Samsung, LG, they don't sit back on their name. They are energetic and make the best they can. I am amazed at the rise of these companies. Hyundai, Kia's are everywhere out here.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
... Good to see they stay with the 99% @ 20 number and don't try to fudge it higher with no actual data, rounding off 98.67% to 99% is OK.

I guess you think if you keep repeating this then others will buy into it or that maybe you'll feel better about whatever filters you have been using. All filters are not equal and do not all have the same efficiency. Some are way less than 99% at 20 microns. Some are 99% at 40 microns (Purolator Boss), not at 20 microns. One that we know of (WIX XP/NAPA Platinum) is 50% at 20 microns. WIX/NAPA Gold is 95% at 20 microns. FRAM Ultra is 99+% at 20 microns. Most of the old Purolator PureONE yellow filters were 99.9% at 20 microns, and so on .... Anyway, in my opinion, if the filter has an efficiency of 95% or greater at 20 microns, then that's more than good enough for me.

Maybe you have paperwork to show you are in charge of what others can say? Fram says 98.67% is the max efficiency data point, anything more there aren't enough particles to be statistically significant. If they have some new info I suggest you ask them to change what they said. I didn't make this up, I am only quoting what Fram says, the messenger. You don't have to like it. It still is what they say, Yes/ No?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back