3.6 Pentastar Distorted Used Filter Pleats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I have a Pentastar 3.6L that I recently changed the oil on. Upon removal of the oil filter I noticed that the filter pleats were somewhat distorted. It doesn't appear that the filter media was breached, but the amount of distortion is somewhat concerning to me. The filter was run for approximately 8000 miles from January 2017 through November 2017. The oil used with the filter was Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20. Both the old and new filters in the pictures are NAPA (Wix) 7526.
Does anyone have any thought, comments or prior experience to share related to the Pentastar oil filters?

I went back to the mopar filter. I tried a fram ultra and it was very slightly long.

I had a hard time getting it to click into the cap.. (really hard time)

and when I took it off after 6500 miles it was wavy(not that bad)
and still super hard to pull off the cap.

Went back to the overpriced mopar. It wasnt wavy after use.

I'm using Wix in my dad's 2012 which is one filter design and in my FIL's van which is a 2017 with the revised filter design and none of them look like that upon changing it. My dad uses conventional oil and my FIL is using Amsoil.
21.gif

Are you possibly over tightening the filter housing and "Squishing" the filter too far in? It should just be snugged on the O-Ring. Is the Wix a few millimeters longer than the mopar and maybe this is why? You can tighten all the way with a Mopar and it won't squish but with the wix being slightly longer if you over tighten the housing maybe it's squishing it slightly? Just a thought...

It being wavy is not a concern. It being torn/ripped would be and that isn't happening so it has no effect on the engine.

Last edited:
I just noticed something... What year is your PentaStar. That filter in the pictures is only for the earlier PentaStars like from 2011/2012. If it's later than that then it's the wrong filter for the application and you need the other one. The old filter design (your pictures) will incorrectly fit in the newer revised filter housings unfortunately so you could be using the wrong filter if this is the case.

Later PentaStar engines require this filter revision:
(Top of the filter with the green o-ring goes into the housing, flat part at the bottom of the filter clips into housing cap.)

81Cy6DDxBdL._SY679_.jpg

Last edited:
I get the wix or purolator. I've had great results with both purolator and wix cartridges in my friends wrangler 3.6 pentastar.
Currently using a motorcraft equivalent but thats made by purolator i think. The wix and purolator design is different but they both work.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I think this is caused by the filter expanding when oil wets it.

More likely that the aftermarket filter is slightly too long.

The vehicle it is installed in is a 2012 Chrysler Town & Country, so this older style filter is the correct filter.
When re-installing the cap I tighten it by hand until it makes seats against the filter housing and then firmly snug it by hand. Same way I have been changing the cartridge filter in my 2003 TDI Jetta for years and haven't seen any issues there.
I will get an OEM filter next oil change and see how it measures up.

Originally Posted By: 1998chevy
The vehicle it is installed in is a 2012 Chrysler Town & Country, so this older style filter is the correct filter.
When re-installing the cap I tighten it by hand until it makes seats against the filter housing and then firmly snug it by hand. Same way I have been changing the cartridge filter in my 2003 TDI Jetta for years and haven't seen any issues there.
I will get an OEM filter next oil change and see how it measures up.

cheers3.gif
Yeah I would measure the Mopar versus the Napa. I would even measure against a Wix branded to see if it's any different from the Napa rebranded wix for some stupid reason. (It would be millimeters, don't forget to include the clips at the top of the filter as well)

Last edited:
My wife has a 2012 GC with the same filter, but it’s never done that. I’ve only used Mopar or CQ filters. They both say “Made in South Korea”. There are Chinese-made ones that seem thinner.

I have the filter design StevieC posted in my 2016 Rubicon. The OE Mopar filter and the Fram Ultra are exactly the same height. I'll be using the Ultra some time next year when I change the oil. The OE filters do not come out distorted. If I have any issues with the Ultra they'll be going back.

My wife has the 2013 and my father has the 2016, so I use both filter types. I've been using Wix in both (57526 & WL10010), and have not seen waviness like this.

Yikes!! I've never had a Pentastar do that to any filter. Clearly thats a first-generation filter (thru 2013? Maybe just 2012), but they're really only different in how they mount and how prone to breakage the oil filter housing itself is (the center post on the first iteration tends to fail, I always treated the one we had with kid gloves and never had a problem).

Here's what some of my used filters looked like...:

First gen type (2011 engine, PureOne filter):
OiYwobZ.jpg

2nd gen type (2014 engine, crummy Microgreen filter I'll never use again):
95r6bUG.jpg

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Doesn't anybody make a wire backed cartridge filter for it ?

Yes. Fram Ultra, but its not actually wire backing, its a rigid polymer mesh much like what you find in a Purolator Boss canister filter. Same difference, no metal.

Yeah, I don't recall any of the used ones coming out that way for the Pentastar in our 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan. Our 2013 still had the "old" design. I always ran Napa golds, Carquest Premium or Mopars from Walmart. You really couldn't over-tighten the housing on our 2013.. Well you could.. and shear the whole housing off the neck that goes down into the block. Once it seated, it sort of stopped. Still hated that last 1/4 turn or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back