Is There Any Such Thing As A Quiet Tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My quest. To buy a tire that is quiet. Seems every tire I buy lately, by 10,000 miles, they get loud. I mean the road hash noise, not any noise from cupped or out of balance wheels. I’m running a set of general Altima’s right now, and they were whisper quiet when I bought them. Road good to about 10k, then just got louder every thousand miles more. I’ve tried hankooks, perellis, Michelin’s, and a few others. Not one has stayed semi quiet. It almost like they make them with a soft layer that gets hard as it gets miles, and then gets loud. That sssshhhhhhhhh noise.

Is there a quiet tire?
Rant over

Might be your car.
Originally Posted By: Propflux01
general Altima’s right now,

What general tire? Those vary widely and while none start with altima(thats a nissan car) there are quite a few altimax models.

Pirelli Cinturato P7s were real quiet on my VW. Loved those tires.

My Sonata came with a new set of Kumho Solus TA11s when I bought it in February. 17,500 miles later and they're irritating me they're so loud. Oh well, I'll ride them out as long as I can.

Keep in mind the Elantra lets more road noise in than a Sonata or definitely a Buick regal.

Tires in the touring category tend to be a little more quit than regular all-season tires.
Do an X rotation when they start getting loud. It can really help.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Pirelli Cinturato P7s were real quiet on my VW. Loved those tires.

My Sonata came with a new set of Kumho Solus TA11s when I bought it in February. 17,500 miles later and they're irritating me they're so loud. Oh well, I'll ride them out as long as I can.

I agree about the P7's being quiet. Quietest tires Ive ever had. However, wasnt impressed with treadlife or wet handling. Who cares if they are noisy? Im thinking your car might just not filter road noise as well as others. My winters are noticeably loud but still not enough to bother me.

Last edited:
Dynamat with CC foam over that in doors … dynamat only under carpet … all scissors and peel and stick

Last edited:
Pirelli P7 Cinturato All Season PLUS
Michelin Primacy MXV4
Good/Year Assurance Comfortred
Hankook Optimo H727...I guess now there is a Kinergy PT 737???

I've had all 4^^^

Last edited:
Tires getting worse for noise is caused by misalignment, typically toe.

First, the published alignment tolerances are too wide - by half.

Second, even the specs (the target values) are not good for tire wear (are therefore noise). Typically too much camber. Add in the toe problem and the noise problem accelerates.

Also, tire rotation is important. Moving a tire to a different position causes a different wear pattern, partially cancelling out the old one.

And how about driving style? "Spirited" driving causes noisy tires.

The problem here is that YOU have to take charge of fixing problem. Find out what the alignment specs for your car are. Are the specs good for tire wear or not? Is the alignment tech going to follow the published specs or what you tell him? Are you going to rotate the tires frequently.

Do that and the tire noise will be minimized.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Pirelli P7 Cinturato All Season PLUS
Michelin Primacy MXV4
Good/Year Assurance Comfortred
Hankook Optimo H727...I guess now there is a Kinergy PT 737???

I've had all 4^^^
Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
We have altimax rt43 on the matrix. Very smooth and quiet.

I have had the RT43's as well and although they're not a loud tire per say(I'd say they're audible), they're not as quiet as the tires that I mentioned above nor do the RT43's score as quiet in professional testing(TR, CR). However, they're a great tire just the same and I did like'em very much and would get'em again for their other qualities!

And I'm not saying that the tires that I mentioned above are the quietest tires on the market, they're just quiet(er) than most tires that I have ever owned...that one could most likely purchase today.

Last edited:
The only set of tires that I've bought twice... because I was impressed with how they performed, is the GoodYear Assurance ComforTred Touring.

They were quiet, the had a good ride, they tolerated not being rotated on time very well, and the treadlife was longer than I expected.

If you want quiet tires, get summer tires, if it doesn't get cold by you.

What tire size do you need?
smile.gif

I have noticed noise on other cars as well. I rotate in X pattern every 5K. The car I am driving now is very quiet on wind noise, but I can sure hear the tires. Tires I have had on this and two other cars are Goodyear assurance triple, good tire, but car was totaled about 10K Into them. Perelli P7 went on my 2013 Elantra, after 15K, started to get loud. After 40K, the we’re worthless on wet roads. Kuhmo Ecst didn’t last, Hankkok optima 727 was about like the general Altima’s I have on right now. My car was aligned when the generals were installed, only thing out was left side slight toe out.
Tire size now is 195/45 R17

ok, for 195/45-17

The only tire that Tire Rack even carries in that size is the Yokohama S.Drive, a summer performance tire. So if you can use summer tires, the Sdrive will be quieter than almost any all-season tire you've tried in the past.

In fact, it's the only name-brand tire I could find anywhere! The only other tires I found in your size are some cheap Chinese Achilles, which definitely won;t be as quiet as what you've used before, and the ContiSportContact from Europe, with the requisite high shipping cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back