2018 Elantra Sport- What oil and 1st oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd use something that is Dexos 1 gen 2 marked on the container. Me? I'd use Pennzoil Platinum 5W30.
I assume it calls for 5W30 having a turbo. Nice car btw!

What does the owners manual recommend? Oil is oil with the proper ratings.

Originally Posted By: car51
Mobil 1 5w30

It’s a Hyundai so doesn’t necessarily need DEXOS spec oil

With Hyundai having LSPI engine failures on Veloster, I'd use something with LSPI in mind
which Dexos 1 gen 2 addresses.

Originally Posted By: car51
Mobil 1 5w30

It’s a Hyundai so doesn’t necessarily need DEXOS spec oil

I think the previous member recommended d1g2 because it's a T-GDI.
smile.gif

EDIT: Skyactiv beat me to it above. But M1 would be a fine choice.

OP, i agree with skyactiv, anything meeting dexos1Gen2 certification will work great. Any pics? I really like the understated good looks of that Elantra.

Use something that has Dexos1 Gen2. It's the only spec so far that addresses LSPI. Ford is also working on a spec for this issue, and GF-6 will be with LSPI in mind as well, but currently only dexos1 Gen2 is of use to owners of DI turbo engines.

The manual says ACEA A5 or above. The first oil change is free at the dealer, should I just get it now? Also they have a Quaker State sticker on the air filter lid, I suppose that is what they would use.

Originally Posted By: Dohc98vteC
The manual says ACEA A5 or above. The first oil change is free at the dealer, should I just get it now? Also they have a Quaker State sticker on the air filter lid, I suppose that is what they would use.

That's just Quaker State marketing.

My Elantra Sport says Quaker State and Shell.

Any good quality synthetic should work fine.

So true. Quaker State all over the recommended section. Well, Quaker State Ultimate Durability has no ACEA A5 approval so their recommendations are only that...recommendations. If you want A5, go with Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 or Valvoline Synthetic 5W-30. They are the easiest to find, plus they meed d1g2 too. If you don't care about A5, there are many oils with d1G2 approval that do not meet A5, but i'd rather the dexos spec for my turbo anyway.

There is a slim chance your dealer is using an A5 oil for their bulk use.

Last edited:
Ok thanks, also when should I get my first oil change, there is no mention of that either. Being the factory fill, not sure if I have to replace that sooner or wait will 3,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Although you can get by without an oil rated ACEA A5 I would highly recommend one that is.

I'm not sure A5 is especially stout.

When to change your oil the first time gets lots of AirPlay here. Personally I change mine out at 1000 miles and get on schedule with the following oil change.

The suggestion of dexos 1 gen 2 oils is a good one.

I suggest getting the first oil change at ~ 2,000 miles which is probably too early according to the manual but, I try to be conservative on the first oil change. . Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back