Generator carb solenoid question

Greetings,

I have a Champion 41430 generator with a minor issue. The carburetor took some external damage, so I replaced it. After installing the new carb, it will start for a short period (~10 seconds or so) and then die. I did some diagnostics and found that the voltage going to the carb fuel solenoid is very low (~1-2v) and only lasts for a second or two, causing me to suspect that it is just enough current to let a tiny bit of fuel in, then closes again.

My main concern is, am I correct in assuming that the solenoid should be receiving a full 12v, and that that should be constant when running? I can easily wire in my own switch to make that happen, I just wasn't sure if there might be some sort of variable voltage and variable fuel amount that I wouldn't be taking into consideration. It seems like it would almost certainly be only "on/off" but I thought it best to get a second opinion or two on that.

I did find info elsewhere that gives me pause. Specifically, a similar Honda carb (supposedly these Champion units are Honda clones?) where the solenoid/valve is normally open when no current is applied, and only gets closed for a short time after shut-down to prevent backfire. So I may be misunderstanding how mine works, and barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks for any input!

If this is a B & S engine, then yes, there should be +12V on it when the key is on. It has a plunger that closes the main jet on the carb when you turn off the key. The solenoid is there mainly to prevent a shutdown backfire.

Good luck,

Wayne

I usually just cut the tip off of the needle and leave the wires disconnected. I hate spending time troubleshooting stuff when the fix is that easy, but that's just me.

Thanks! After doing yet more searching, I am fairly confident it is a B&S engine - I found what looks like a mechanically identical one made under the B&S brand name. Will play with it this weekend, if it is warm enough(!).

From the owners manual I'm 99% sure it's a chonda engine, Chinese Honda copy/counterfeit.

Anti-fire solenoid needs 12v when starting/running.

Or do what Linctex posted.

A B&S engine on a Chinese built Champion generator? Really?

I had a 2011 Champion 4000/3000 watt generator and it had a 196cc Honda clone engine.

One wouldn't think B&S would be supplying engines to Champion?

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
So let me guess this solenoid fails and makes it so the engine starves for fuel?

Yes. You are correct.

Solenoid needle pulls down away from main jet with voltage. (Assuming the carb is not gummed-up)

No voltage the spring in the solenoid moves up and shuts off main jet starving it of fuel.

Hope this helps.

The float still stays keeps the needle and seat seated correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: boraticus
A B&S engine on a Chinese built Champion generator? Really?

I had a 2011 Champion 4000/3000 watt generator and it had a 196cc Honda clone engine.

One wouldn't think B&S would be supplying engines to Champion?

I honestly don't know one way or the other for sure - I had read on another forum that they were Honda clones, but then I also found this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Briggs-Strat...30549/203180791

Which is the same displacement, same power features, and visually the motor appears to be the same as the one I have - only difference I see is a slightly different air filter.

Champion uses their own China made Honda clones.
Not sure why you wouldn't be getting power. I take it this one is electric start with a small battery.
Make sure the battery is charged up and any electric connections between the battery, switch and solenoid are clean and tight.
Check no wires have chaffed an rubbed through the insulation.
If all else fails, I have done what Linctex suggested on a couple small engines with no problem, only down side is you may get a small backfire after shut down.

Those Champions are a good generator, my 3500/4000w unit is around 8 years old and working great!
IMO one of the best budget generators out there!

Originally Posted By: cronk
Champion uses their own China made Honda clones.
Not sure why you wouldn't be getting power. I take it this one is electric start with a small battery.
Make sure the battery is charged up and any electric connections between the battery, switch and solenoid are clean and tight.
Check no wires have chaffed an rubbed through the insulation.
If all else fails, I have done what Linctex suggested on a couple small engines with no problem, only down side is you may get a small backfire after shut down.

Those Champions are a good generator, my 3500/4000w unit is around 8 years old and working great!
IMO one of the best budget generators out there!

01.gif

Yep, like Cronk said, are you showing 12+ VDC at the battery with the unit not running? If you're not, the solenoid will never pull off and open up fuel to the engine.

I've never seen a portable generator with a shut-off solenoid on the carb, but I've only worked on a few with batteries on them and E-start equipped.

Well, after a little more testing this morning, I have confirmed what I read elsewhere... apparently the solenoid is only a backfire prevention system. It is open by default - the spring keeps the needle pulled back, allowing fuel through. It is only when you switch the ignition to 'off' that it is sent 12v for a few seconds, and the solenoid causes the needle to extend and close the fuel line off. Since I was just letting the engine die before, I wasn't seeing that 12v spike when testing it previously.

So, it seems there must be some other fuel issue...

This thing has ran for about 30 minutes total, a year ago when it was new, just testing it. I ran it dry and put it in to storage at that time. Perhaps just enough fuel was still in there to congeal and gum something up. The only thing I can eliminate for the moment is the carb itself, being brand new. There does not appear to be a fuel filter to check. Anything else I ought to check for cleanliness?

Take the solenoid, smash it with a hammer, and toss it in the garbage. Buy a small bolt that fits in the hole. I just saved you lots of money.

I went through this B S with my John Deere. The dealer told me its optional and they recommended me tossing it. They ordered me in the bolt for 4 bucks. Works great!

If this is a B & S engine, then yes, there should be +12V on it when the key is on. It has a plunger that closes the main jet on the carb when you turn off the key. The solenoid is there mainly to prevent a shutdown backfire.

Good luck,

Wayne
what does the carburetor solenoid wires hook up to?

Back