Coming out of the stone age: ditching the "Brick"

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend gave me a Snap-On "brick" graphing scanner earlier this year, which has been plenty useful. But I'm working on more and more vehicles that are newer than it can handle and need to do more advanced tasks than the ol' Brick can do. The budget isn't available right now for a new scanner with decent capabilities. What's a good diagnostic tool to look for, used, for vehicles up to MY 2010 that will do some programming, more in-depth data monitoring, etc.? Or is it going to be better do get a laptop, a Mongoose cable, and diag. software as my next step up?

AutoEnguity sells laptop software and OBDII connectors.

You can upgrade their software for additional vehicle specific information. On a company basis. Like Ford or GM.

At that point it's bi-directional which is what the super expensive scanners are.

Autel makes a few good ones, I think Harbor Freight is closing out their MaxiDas for like 850. I don't know the software level,or what cars are included, but i bought one in 2012 for much more than that, and still use it almost everyday. I works on newer cars also, I scanned a 2017 535 today with no troubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back