Do I really need a spray in bedliner, 2017 F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I'm in the market for a little bit of bed protection in my 2017 F150. Spray in seems like a no brainer especially with rust involved with anything drop in(liners, mats, etc), but since I have a aluminum bed rust isn't an issue right? Just wanted to come see what the consensus is with bed protection, maybe saving some cash over a 400-500 dollar spray in liner. Some things noteable in my case:

The most important thing my bed rails will do is hold a kayak/paddle board rack, not sure if I want to use a clamping style, or try to find one that utilizes the bed rail mounting points.

I'd like to have a roll up tonneau cover, but I think my kayak rack may hinder this so I may end up with a permanent open bed.

If I were to get a drop in, it needs to be able to access the tie down points in the bed.

Are there any quality built drop ins these days? All the old stuff from 20 years ago seemed cheaply made but it seems like someone now a days would be making something nice fitting and feature rich(storage, cargo dividing, etc).

Thanks for any info.

They are very nice. They keep things quiet when loading up the bed and they also keep things from sliding around by gripping the objects. It's like having a giant non slip drawer liner for you pickup truck bed. LineX is the company that does it around here and they use a spray in material that cures to textured rubbery finish that's pretty thick.

My dad bought a 95 F-250 in 1996 or 97 with a drop in bed liner. This was to conceal the previous owner's hole(s) in the bed from a fifth wheel hitch that was removed. He got rid of the truck 2 years ago. The outer bedsides were literally flapping in the wind while going down the road. The frame had holes rusted through it and all brake lines and spring hangars had been replaced. The bed finally came off completely. However, there was no rust under the drop-in liner. Under it was dirty but no rust at all. The rust was on the underside of the bed and the outside around the fenders. Go figure. You being in FL I would think rust would be less of an issue than in the mountains with all our road salt.

I like drop ins myself. They provide the best protection from heavy things denting/puncturing the bed. They make the bed really slick though. I have no opinions on brands however.

Growing up, my dad always used a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the box to soak up the beat down the truck took. Always piles of dirty and garbage under it that needed to be cleaned out.

Last two trucks we have run had the spray in liner. Love it and will never deviate. It keeps things from slipping around, soaks up a bit of the beat down, and offers better protection than a painted surface that will get chipped off.

Doesn't sound like you're gonna be throwing bricks and toolboxes in the back. I wouldn't get a spray in.

What about a mat for $100?

LINK

When we bought our 2015 Nissan Titan Pickup I thought about the spray in liner option since our truck didn't come with it from the factory. Problem I see with spray in liners though is if you drop anything heavy in the back? Your going to dent the metal. Try dropping a center block on a spray in, your going to have damage, the plastic drop in? It just bounces off.

So with that in mind, and the fact we throw stuff in the bed all the time, I bought the factory Nissan Plastic Bed Liner, got it on special for $160 paid like $40 to have Nissan install it and I'm golden.

Pro's and Con's to both types of liners, but for me? Knowing my family? A spray in wont take the abuse haha.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
When we bought our 2015 Nissan Titan Pickup I thought about the spray in liner option since our truck didn't come with it from the factory. Problem I see with spray in liners though is if you drop anything heavy in the back? Your going to dent the metal. Try dropping a center block on a spray in, your going to have damage, the plastic drop in? It just bounces off.

So with that in mind, and the fact we throw stuff in the bed all the time, I bought the factory Nissan Plastic Bed Liner, got it on special for $160 paid like $40 to have Nissan install it and I'm golden.

Pro's and Con's to both types of liners, but for me? Knowing my family? A spray in wont take the abuse haha

Jeff

Last edited:
Not sure what happened but could not reply under quote box...

The thick plastic inserts protect from damage but is slick … so put some rubber horse mat over that (TSC) …

I have a Line-X liner and a 3/4" sheet of plywood on top. It works to save my knees and protect the floor of the bed if something heavy is dropped.

I had a slippery corrugated drop-in bedliner. I wanted something less slippery while still not paying too much. So I decided to do it myself.

Removed the plastic liner
Sanded the existing paint roughly
Applied 3 coats of Duplicolor's Bed Armor

Big mistake !

This so-called "bed armor" protects as much as a t-shirt. Yes, it's less slippery, but is scratches through so easily it's not even protecting much.

I ended up putting back the plastic liner over the bed armor and kept it this way since.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Doesn't sound like you're gonna be throwing bricks and toolboxes in the back. I wouldn't get a spray in.

LINK

Rubber mat for the win. There's a 20-year-old Ford Ranger in my family with a rubber mat and the bed bolts are squeaky clean.

I put in a mat from Dee Zee and it fits awesome and its nice and thick/heavy. For around $85 and for us guys with steel beds you can pull it up and wash it out easy and check for rust. I cut up the plastic liner and recycled it. No more stuff sliding all over etc.... and in the end the dealer won't give you more for it because it has it or not. Vehicles have to be 5-10 footers and be shiny.

I have a factory spray-in liner in my latest truck. No complaints.

I was parked near a guy in a new Ford earlier this year at a recreation area. I said that he had a nice truck, and he immediately went into a tirade over (his words) his "beer can bed". He proceeded to show me the nice big hole punched in the floor of his Aluminum bed, where he had accidentally dropped his hitch. With a steel bed with no liner, he would've only had a dent.

So based on that, if I had an aluminum bed, I would definitely have some sort of protection.

Last edited:
I went with a Dual Liner for my 2016 F150. Hard plastic for the bed sides with a rubber mat on the floor that locks in under the bed side pieces. I've been happy with it. the Mat keep things from sliding like the hard plastic liners, and the hard plastic on the sides works since I'm not worried about slipping there.

Full use of all attachment points in the bed.

And if I chew it all up, I can pull it out and replace easily...

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

LINK

Had one of these 2 trucks ago, works great to protect the floor, stuff doesn't slide and easy to clean underneath. Really liked it but the Az sun really worked on it and it looked like an old tire after a couple of years, maybe Fla sun isn't as intense or maybe spray it with something? Debating one of these or spray-in for the current truck.

Ford has bet the average Ford Truck owner won't even notice the aluminum bed, because most do not work with their truck. It's just an ego showpiece.

I had a York Load Lok in my last truck and never had a problem with rust. However they seem to have gone away. I would probably go with Line-X today.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
I went with a Dual Liner for my 2016 F150. Hard plastic for the bed sides with a rubber mat on the floor that locks in under the bed side pieces. I've been happy with it. the Mat keep things from sliding like the hard plastic liners, and the hard plastic on the sides works since I'm not worried about slipping there.

Full use of all attachment points in the bed.

And if I chew it all up, I can pull it out and replace easily...

Where did you get the bed side plastic? Seems like a good idea.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Ford has bet the average Ford Truck owner won't even notice the aluminum bed, because most do not work with their truck. It's just an ego showpiece.

Can you source this information?
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back