New Pennzoil DEXOS1 Gen 2 5W30 Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SR5
That is a decent HTHS and TBN for an ILSAC oil, I'm keen to give it a go, as my second ever ILSAC oil after this fill of M1 5W30.

Yes, it's a bit of an outlier, but not too much.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
That is a decent HTHS and TBN for an ILSAC oil, I'm keen to give it a go, as my second ever ILSAC oil after this fill of M1 5W30.

Yes, it's a bit of an outlier, but not too much.
wink.gif

Sure, not too much of a HTHS outlier, but probably as far as you can go and still be GF-5. I don't recall a 3.3 cP GF-5 oil.

But that TBN of more than 11 is fairly dramatic. Most SN & GF-5 oils have a TBN of about 8.0 +/- 0.5 with being over 10 usually reserved for A3/B4 oils (the A5/B5 spec is 8).

Not saying this is a shockingly different oil, it's more that most SN & GF-5 oils are so same-same that the only thing left to talk about is moly and boron levels or price points. Or how disappointing the zinc level is when tested.

Still with D1G2 now on us, we can compare Mg to Ca ratios. Imaging being a normal person and having dinner with us as we chat oils, a regular person would probably faint with boredom, as we got hot under the collar about if Group III is really synthetic or not.

I really REALLY like the QSUD 10w30 last summer in the Nissan. Super oil. Best in the past decade followed closely by Magnatec semi syn 5W30. Jury is still out on the full syn magnatec.

I had run PP 5w30 a few OCI earlier and didn't like it; Even the snowblower snowking 8HP didn't like it.
Ive run Pennzoil SS dexos 5w30 and didn't like it.
For some reason I liked the non-dexos QSUD 10W30, Higher HTHS, lower KV100, much lower pour point than the 5W brother. Makes me wonder what compromises passing TEOST and other dexos reqs by a mile makes on piston side thrust wear and ??

I don't have a turbo so IDK re: Dexos. I only care about ring land cleanliness and avoiding hot stuck rings.

Last edited:
Sure, not too much of a HTHS outlier, but probably as far as you can go and still be GF-5. I don't recall a 3.3 cP GF-5 oil.

There certainly aren't many. Maybe I've seen one other overall, or maybe something like that was the only one.
wink.gif

I've noticed TBN of some examples has risen since the SN rollout. Castrol synthetics always seemed to do fairly well in initial TBN compared to much of the competition.

Most people would look at our discussions like we're insane.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back